Mr Poop

I found an SBC Charge-a-Call today

22 posts in this topic

I lost my digital camera. I'll try to swing by today to take a film based picture, but who knows when I will get it uploaded.

Film owns digital anyway.

Now since I'm an SBC noob I am wondering what the difference is with a "Charge-a-Call" phone ?

"charge-a-call" is something the Bell System introduced way back in the late 1970s; basically it's a coinless public telephone where the only method of paying for calls is by charging them to a credit card, calling card, or third number. One can, of course, also make collect calls from charge-a-call stations.

http://www.roamer1.org/pix/phones/chargeacall.jpg

oh ok I get it. in the "ghetto" here they made it so none of the payphones take coins and only accept credit/collect/3rd party/etc calls. I guess too many people were trying to rob the phones.

In a lot of the world all the phones are like such, except maybe not accepting credit cards, but specially bought phone cards. It makes more sense, but then again a lot of the world uses payphones more than we do, and perhaps back when payphones were still in they thought the benefits of accepting coins outweighed the disadvantages. Of course I know in Europe payphones call also do all kinds of cool stuff, even send SMS.

Of course I know in Europe payphones call also do all kinds of cool stuff, even send SMS.

Imagine there is a payphone that accepts coins, chip cards and allows you to send emails and sms messages and it still is not a multimedia kiosk :D

Payphone

Yea, it was the phone I saw in Poland and what you told me about that made me think of that stuff :)

What would be really cool was if the payphone could take incoming SMS :)

"charge-a-call" is something the Bell System introduced way back in the late 1970s; basically it's a coinless public telephone where the only method of paying for calls is by charging them to a credit card, calling card, or third number. One can, of course, also make collect calls from charge-a-call stations.

Most that I have come across (usually in campgrounds or state parks) also allow free local calls. I have done some exchange scanning when I should have been doing some outdoor thing.

I found another one when I went back to the convention center today. It had no dialtone. I called repair service and they told me it had been taken out of service and wasn't in their computer. :(

I found another one when I went back to the convention center today. It had no dialtone. I called repair service and they told me it had been taken out of service and wasn't in their computer. :(

Ask them if you can have it :D

I just tried calling it, and it says that it's not a working number. I'll swing by there sometime soon and see if it's gone. If it is, I will hate myself for not getting a picture. :blowfuse:

"charge-a-call" is something the Bell System introduced way back in the late 1970s; basically it's a coinless public telephone where the only method of paying for calls is by charging them to a credit card, calling card, or third number.  One can, of course, also make collect calls from charge-a-call stations.

I've only seen "charge-a-call" payphones in Maine. I was going to Old Orchard Beach about 5 years ago and saw a few of them around. I didn't get to mess with play with them much though since I was on my way back home.

I have a polish payphone card laying around here somewhere. My mom brought one from poland when she went to europe to satisfy my phone fetish. If I find it I'll take pics.

We don't have Charge-A-Call's up here.

There used to be 2 or 3 Charge-A-Calls near the Children's museum in Boston. Sadly, they are gone now :(

So what kind of pay phone cards are hackable? Ive read on other forums about some european phreaks reading/writing to some pay phone smart cards? Im just interested to see if the cards are hackable in any way?