StankDawg

Hack TV

49 members have voted

1. 1. where do ya fit in?

• White hat
    • Black Hat
    • Gray Hat
    • I don't wear any fukking hats.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

39 posts in this topic

Some of us are considering putting together a "TV show" (a series of video files) online about hacking. Sometimes on radio, it is hard to demonstrate things since you have no visualization to go with it. Listening on MP3 is *GREAT* but I thought I would take a POLL and see who might be interested in an online VIDEO/TV Show.

There are obvious negatives: FILESIZE is one. Only high bandwidth users would be able to get it easily. This is also a problem for us in regards to disk space and distribution.

So the basic question in the POLL is not whether you would be interested in it (I think most hackers would enjoy it), but would you actually be willing to suffer through the download times and storage problems to get it?

Ow dear, I just clicked the “View results - null vote” button and it now wont let me vote for yes :(

Anyway, yep I’d certainly download it, and I wouldn’t “suffer” (having a reasonable respectable 576.0 Kbps downstream connection). Also I wouldn’t think most people would find storage a problem, as good hard drives aren’t too expensive these days.

This is a link to someone who has done the same sort of thing - you might be able to get some ideas production wise?

http://homepages.ius.edu/adrian/irongeek/security.php

I also may be able to help out with distribution (that’s if you can’t find a better way) as I only have something like 200 Kbps upstream, which couldn’t cope very well with any more than one person downloading a large file at a time.

Interesting stuff. somewhat similar to what we were thinking, but more in :30 minute segments.

hell yeah! I used to love watching ParseTV - anyone remember that? yeah it went downhill after that whole MTV True Life: I'm a Hacker thing where shamrock made up that stupid story..

but yeah! I'm all for it.

I'd definately be interested in seeing/downloading the vids.

I already watch stuff such as SKTFM.tv The only thing I see as a real drawback would be the distribution or hosting of the files.

I know some of us are on Cable/DSL connections - I would personally throw the files on my Kazaa or Limewire P2P networks. (only if I have permission ;) )

But that's a kinda wierd way for actual promotion by going to the shows site "If our download speeds suck, just go to kazaa".

The radio shows kick ass, and I'm all for the idea of a vid of similar stuff.

Actually, the gnutella p2p network distro would prolly even be preferrable to show the silly lawmakers that there's a real use for person to person file sharing.....just an Idea.

heh. looks as though you're getting a unanimus *FAR too lazy to check my spelling* vote here stank. I'm in.

The dl times really aren't too much of an issue for me right now... if it's too much for my piddly little cable... i'll just go into work for the download... :D

Ow dear, I just clicked the “View results - null vote” button and it now wont let me vote for yes :(

Goddamnit. I just did accidentally the same thing.

Count another one for 'yes'.

Oh hell yeah.... I would love to see this done.. almost on like a weekly basis show. Now that would be a little more complicated but would be very cool. Would love to help out in any way on this. Heck if I had a digital video camcorder I wouldnt stop shooting.

Oh hell yeah.... I would love to see this done.. almost on like a weekly basis show. Now that would be a little more complicated but would be very cool. Would love to help out in any way on this. Heck if I had a digital video camcorder I wouldnt stop shooting.

WEEKLY!?!?! :omfg:

I was thinking monthly would be difficult. Well, I might be able to pull off weekly with help from the rest of DDP. Maybe I should change and make a poll to see who has video cameras at home. I can do a lot by myself, I even have some shows already planned out. It is difficult to put out a radio show weekly (right Dual) sometimes, weekly TV with all of the editing involved might be rough.

How do you guys feel about filming and sending to me (via electronic submissions or snail mail) where I could add/edit/compose the shows so that all of us are involved. Full credit would go to the individual authors of course. No MTV JACKASS type stuph (unless it involves computers, of course ;) ).

Hmmm... DDP HackTV anyone? ;)

Actually, the gnutella p2p network distro would prolly even be preferrable to show the silly lawmakers that there's a real use for person to person file sharing.....just an Idea.

actually, that is not a bad idea. Of course sharing via p2p would be great, but is easily forgotten after you leave the site. If someone is isnterested but has to remember to look for it on P2P (and gets frustrated after never finding it like I did with Freedom Downtime) then they will give up.

Edonkey allows you to put LINKS that pop up with an automatic search. I am sure others probably do this as well. That takes the load off of my bandwidth, and places it on others. It would also let people start downloading while they are at the site.

And your point about "showing the lawmakers" is VERY well put! :punk:

Well I dont have a camcorder but I could help with editing and compilation. I have several programs on my linux that should make such issues a ease. Also If I could get Adobe After effects again.. Im fairly good with it :)

You can add me in for the help on editing. I am planning on having a good dv camcorder soon. So when that happens I'll be more than happy to help out in that area.

All in all, it sounds like a great idea. I would personally prefer a weekly show. But i understand the work involved though.

I also have some badass sound tools that even Dual would be jealous of...

:punk:

I spoke to my boy Saitou187 yesterday and he is going to provide some good stuff also. He writes a lot of anime music videos, and I am thinking of opening and closing the show with a different one each episode.

I spoke to my boy Saitou187 yesterday and he is going to provide some good stuff also. He writes a lot of anime music videos, and I am thinking of opening and closing the show with a different one each episode.

That would be friggin sw33t. I can supply ya with a crap load of AMVs. I've been collecting 'em as much as I can. I don't own a camcorder, but I have access to one. I MAY be able to help out in that arena... need to think on it tho...

...count me in tho. I'll help out as much as I can.

I think it is time to move this into a new forum by itself to work on this project. I have spoken to several of you about specifics, and I think we need to get organized.

Post ideas/suggestions/volunteers in that forum. I will also make a post to explain what I am envisioning for the show.

I am here!!!!

Fixed my computer.

Count me in, this has been on my mind for a while.

I think of WormBaby when it comes to bandwidth problems, they just offer the show (It’s a cartoon, Invader Zim) every weekend (3 days) and they get 2 to 3TB of downloads every weekend! Then its on the P2P networks shortly after because of the immense amount of people that have it after the weekend. Also they have IRC channel where you could go and get them anytime (I think?).

So using that as a basis we could set up a Direct Connect hub, instead of trying to get it on some nice connections on KaZaA type networks. Then someone with some nice bandwidth could send it out to all the Cable/DSL DDP people. Then all those people just hang out in the Direct Connect hub (and KaZaA at same time?) and the people who want it could go to the hub and then download it and it will soon soak into other P2P networks.

~T

I would download it. I think the file should be no larger then 50-60 MB's. I have never done video encoding so I do not know how realistic that would be and how good the quality would be.

a good qual half hour avi would be about 100 - 150MBs and a half assed avi its about 50-70MBs

half hour in rm 30mb... half hour in avi 150mb

I wish I had a bigger hd to move things along quicker for us.

I am stepping up on this one. Since I have 1800gigs of space and Encode loads of stuff I can host a slow but fully up and running server. I just fear people hacking it. I am a newbie on the hosting stuff side but am willing to learn. I have a DSL but i get good speeds from me to others.

message me with any questions or help to get me started.

go quicktime if you want quality. RM sucks for distribution, and I hate MS.

I edit TV and Film so if I got footage I could do a highend job of putting it together. :)