Mars

Bad Cd/DvDs?

13 posts in this topic

Hey, I've got another newb question. I'm a huge media burner, and I burn through a lot of blanks. Maybe upwards of 15 a week. Anyway, I also have a lot of CDs, and I've been moving a lot of them over to DVDs, in order to shrink the collection. Why have 5 CDs at 2 or 3 shows per CD when i can put all those on a single DvD. I have, however, been having some trouble with some older DvDs. I used to go cheap, and buy things like CompUSA blanks, but now I only use Verbatim. Anyway, before throwing out some of those CDs, I wanted to make sure the DVDs I burned years ago were still working. I found a few of them that simply don't work. I look at the bottem of them, and they are still scratch free, but when I throw them into the system, XP says its a DvD-Rom, but the label will not show up, it simply says "CD Drive". It has the picture of the CD, and under it is where it says DVD-rom, black with green letters.

What gives? I know these worked, I test every DVD in the drive after I burn it. I can't get behind this. It looks burned, no scratches, but winblows can't read it. I don't have a DVD drive on my linux system, and one of my pals came by with his laptop with XP, and it doesn't read there either. The only thing that I can think of is that they were burned under win98, but the drive is the same (Pionner A-06). These disks are -R, and they also don't play in my Phillips divX player (the files on the DVD are Divx).

Is there any DvD software that can bring these files back? Any ideas of what I can do?

Thanks for your time.

Mars

Kinda strange that several DVDs would go bad. It sounds more like something WinXP is screwing up. I'd try to narrow down the possibilities. Run Knoppix on your machine with the DVD and see if you can read them. If you don't have a second optical drive on the machine, open the box and add in the CD drive from your linux machine. Unless you don't have room on the IDE channel or if you have some other configuration this should allow you to test them under Linux. If your can read them I'd look for a way to copy the contents to a persistent directory for re-burning. If you can't access them it sounds like the disc is bad.

Just stabbing in the dark, but that's what I'd try.

<edit>Another option you may have is the rich man's Knoppix install. If you have in the neighborhood of a Gb of RAM you can load the whole Knoppix CD into RAM, kick out the CD and stick in your DVD for testing. Forgot about that. on boot just enter "knoppix toram" (without the quotes) ;)</edit>

PF

Edited by pixelFiend

I recovered a cd once thanks to knoppix. So, it is indeed worth a shot.

I have approx. 700CDs/DVDs... I know what you mean. :blush:

Try cleaning the undersurface. Even if it looks clean: try anyways.

That's how I get 2/3rds of my AWOL discs to be read again.

Some optical drives also fare better than others. Try inserting the discs in another PC if the cleaning thing fails.

Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately, neither Knoppix, nor cleaning them seems to have helped. My next attempt will be to find another DVD-Rom drive to try them in. Its a little discouraging, but I guess these things happen. The only thing this really does is make me a little nervious about DVDs and recordable media in general as being the best backup solution. I mean, my 200 TV Rip eps of signfeld are really not a huge lose (especially since the DVD release), and neither are my 25 eps of .hack//Sign, but if this were some important data (like my DVD backup of my homebrewed books), then I might be a little more worried. Still, that voice in the back of my mind is shooting up flags that demand my attention about this whole none-working DVD thing.

Anyway, I'm just rambling. Thanks for the help, and if anything else comes to mind, I'm all ears.

Mars

and most importantly, how did you store the discs? what kind of environment are they in?

Try cleaning with toothpaste, turtle wax, and alcohol. And for future reference burn things slower, atleast if you want to get the max life out of them.

Also maybe there is a way to change the read speed of the drive. Drop it's speed and then maybe the detierated(sp) disc will read better. I'm sure there is some analysing program out there that would do this all and even do some guess work where needed.. if not, it needs to be made.

And like Strom was implying storage is key.

Edit: Strom could you fix my mispelling or tell me how it's spelt or spelled(I'm not sure which is correct.)

Edited by ennui

I believe it is deteriorated ( just as a side note). Weren't there talks about Discs only having an 18 month shelf life? This was a while back and might not even apply to DVDs.

Ok... let me touch up on a few things reference those last posts.

The disks are -R disks, CompUSA brand on most, but a few are Memorex. All the disks in question are burned at 1x (since that's how old the media is) on a Pioneer A-06 burner. All the disks were Finalized on Nero using all the File Name Length 31 Character ISO Level 2 option, with Relax ISO restrictions on Allow more the 255 Characters in path and Allow Path Depth of more then 8 Directories, but the only option that would have any effect on these disks (these are the default options I use on all disks) would be the ISO Level 2.

The Disks, after being burned and then put right back into the drive for testing, were put into slim-cd cases, which I buy in 100 packs at Sam's Club (Bulk purchase store). They were then stored in the corner of my room (which rarely sees sun) on a bookshelf. I have then in a few different shelves depending on category.

This collection, which was both CDs and DVDs became too large to move, and since I am planning on moving off to college soon... I went ahead and bought a bunch of DVD/CD folders, the kind that hold like 280+ disks each, and can be expanded by adding more CD pages. In the process of moving CDs onto the computer and off onto DVDs, and checking DVDs to make sure they were labled correctly (some of the cases relied on paper lables, which I was not planning on incorperating into the CD/DVD books, I ran into the problem of some not reading, which is where we are at now.

Anyway, I think I touched on most the topics recently mentioned. I'll try other cleaning methods, but I honestly don't think it will help much, but hey, it can't make them any worse, right?

Thanks for all the info... even if its not working on these particular disks, I'll store that information away and use it when I have a future problem it might help on

I've got a cheapo drive that doesn't work with cetain types of dvds, works with the good quality ones so that's all that matters, but your drive might be selective too, try updating the firmware also

Related to drive speeds, you might try burning them at slower speeds as well. A few months ago I was putting a movie on disc to show my friends, and it kept on corrupting at a similar spot each time I tried it. Burning at a slower speed cleared it right up. I later found similar problems with fast burned data disks of mine.

Granted, that's not much help for recovering your present data (unless you saved the original CDs, as I had) but the others seem to have helped with that much.

Just a thoght , have you tried using isobuster. It has saved my ass on numerous occasions.

who knows give it a try----HERE

B)