matt

Sleep Hacking

47 posts in this topic

I do this all the time. Just close your eyes and project your day-dream/fantasy into your eye lids like its a movie screen. Now walk through your eye lids into that daydream and live it.

It takes practice, but that is the most direct method I can think of in words.

Caustiq, every single human's subconscious is much much more complex than their conciousness. This is simple to understand. You haven't conciously acknowledged that your left ear exists, until you just read that. However, your subconcious parts have been taking care of it all along. If someone throws a football at your face, you're going to instantly recoil if you notice it. It wasn't a conscious decision where you went throuw a sequence of thinking, it was instantaneous reaction.

I've had like two lucid dreams, and one included having a ring of pay phone keys. I hate when I can tell I'm dreaming but can't control it. I can tell because the building and other things are all messed up, but there is nothing I can do. Its weird, if I realize I'm dreaming then one wrong thought will wake me, and other times I'll just suddenly go hey wait this is boring and wake. I havent had good sleep in a while though. The last dream I can think of out of no where I was trying to win a car, it turned out my radio alarm was to quiet so instead of waking me, it just entered the dream.

One thing I'd like an explination for is when i was younger for like 4 years around the same time every year (St. Patricks day about) I would have a dream that I had a year before. I don't even remember the dream, I remember the feeling when I relized I had done that before. The only part I remember is just before waking I go wait a second, this seems... WAKE.

You haven't conciously acknowledged that your left ear exists, until you just read that.
You just played a big trick on my mind, so umm, your right foot!

One thing that i wanted to know:

Has anyone ever managed to read something in their sleep?

Because everytime i am able to read in a dream i have to concentrate very hard. And even then, it's as if the letters move and i cannot get any information out of the text.

Caustiq, every single human's subconscious is much much more complex than their conciousness. This is simple to understand.

Yes. What I was trying to point out is that I'm able to consciously observe my subconscious, when lucid dreaming and when just waking up. I experience this much much more than the average person. To be able to actually examine those crazy and complex thoughts makes them seem that much more unique I guess.

Edited by Caustiq

One thing that i wanted to know:

Has anyone ever managed to read something in their sleep?

I was just discussing this with a couple friends at the university. The answer is yes, we can (atleast I can say from my dreams) read in our dreams. Although not as we normally would. I can make out numbers and letters in text and identify words. But I'm often not entirely sure about it, and when I attempt to re-read the text changes or blurs out of focus completely. I say we don't read in dreams as we normally do because often times our minds simply know that this text they are looking at represents a certain word or phrase. Although I have never found myself reading a complete sentence, or paragraph for that matter.

Edited by Caustiq

i've had lucid dreams a couple times. The most recent was a dream of being in school, in class actually. It was a regular day and i was talking to somebody, i couldn't make out his face, but i knew who he was and he threw a pencil at my face. I saw the pencil flying towards me and i jerked back and hit my head on the headboard and woke up, it was awesome :)

Also, I have the most control on my dreams when i wake up early in the morning and then go back to sleep.

So I did some experimenting... I tried having a lucid dream and I did.

First off most of you said you usually have lucid dreams when you wake up in the morning and go back to sleep. Well this made me come to the conclusion that most people will have control over their dreams if they involve them selves in some kind of sleeping meditation that involves using on of our 4 senes ( mainly listening to music, which involves your ears)

So a night ago I decided to try listening to music while trying to go to sleep. Well what I remember expierencing is that I got very tired but it took me a while to go to sleep because I was listening to music which would cause me to use my brain. Well I ended up falling asleep I think but not fully because I still remember listening to music but being able to walk around and talk. I wasnt sure where I was but it was kool, and im not sure how long this lasted either.

I do remember waking up around 2 in the morning taking off my head phones and then falling back asleep. But this time I had a harder time doing what I wanted to do. Im assuming this was again around 4 or 5 in the morning. But this time I was dreaming that I was having sex with this one chick from high school. But like I said it was harder to control the dream this time then my first. Im geussing is because I was fully asleep in a sense and was not using none of my 4 senses, which would cause some one to use their brain.

Any ways maybe some one should try listening to music while falling asleep and see what it does for them. By the way I was listening to Santana, if that matters?

Edited by SUB-S0NIX

here's some info from wikipedia on Sleep Paralysis and Lucid Dreaming

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dreaming

when i took psych this past semester we went into various sleeping states and disorders like sleep apnea, insomnia, lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis. it seems that the brain disables or paralysis your body temporarily during REM sleep to avoid you flailing about and damaging yourself, as well as filtering out superfluous environmental noise and sensory info. i, myself have experienced both lucid dreaming and had a long stint of insomnia(not fun). the last lucid experince i had was odd. i was unable to change the dreamscape(or rather nightmare-scape) however i was able to control and augment myself. i remember a dark figured trying to get at me and someone in some strange apartment i have never seen before, i (and this is silly) made myself have freddy claws and the figured went away. there was also a layer of dreaming outside of that that seemed like i was awake. i remember laying in bed and seeing my cat reach up for the betta in it's bowl and me getting pissed and sitting up to yell at it, then i woke up paralyzed and the car was nowhere to be found, rather than panicking that i couldn't control my breathing or get up i tried to go back to sleep and was successful. things like this happened and the multilayered-ness continued the rest of the night and i still remember it all quite vividly.

to the person talking about sovling problems in thier sleep, when i was little and took martial arts classes my mother said that on the night before testing(where you graduate to another belt) i would be practicing my forms(a series of techniques or "moves" performed in sequence) in my sleep, going thru the motions of my kata for a good portion of the night. i don't remember any of it but i guess this happened every time. sometimes i've awoke with answers to CS problems that have been bothering me all day. this hasn't happened in a while tho, i think due to how scatterbrained i've been lately.

I don't have too many fully lucid dreams, but I have been able to to control my way out out of bad dreams, I was being chased by some guy with a gun and was able to suddenly make the gun switch hands. Some times you don't need full control to change things in your favor.

I used to experience a recurrent nightmare that was the most vivid and terrifying of any of the dreams I've had, and I think comes close to being lucid because I felt conscious in a sense, although I was 'stuck' in the dream. But then maybe it is so vivid because I would always wake up afterwards.

Anyway, the interesting thing about this nightmare is that it was entirely abstract, without any objects or anything recognizable from the real world. It was always entirely in black and white, and 'staticy'. These sort of fuzzy black orbs would fly at me or back and fourth or along these implied tracks. They had a sound associated with them that was like a pure high-pitched tone that would slowly grow in loudness until I didn't think I could stand it, and then it would die back down. It was like I had to keep track of all these things flying around or else something terrible would happen, and I had to time whatever I was doing just perfectly. I haven't had this in years.

Anyone else have a really terrifying abstract nightmare like this?

I have reoccuring dreams all the time or dream series.. like different episodes.. also.. I dream about the future and have a pretty high turnout rate. Precognition is cool!

I noticed that the best way to go lucid or semi-lucid is to start remembering some things from your past every few minutes or so. This will become a habit and soon, in your dream, you'll be walking around and you'll start to remember some old memory and this will make you realize that you're dreaming. It seems to me that your dream self only has a lasting short term memory. Once an old term memory comesd into play your real safe tends to come out in the dream.

I love episode dreams, where each night is like being in a new episode of a tv show.

i had a lucid dream one time-i was a little kid and kept having the same nightmare.

for three nights in a row i told myself i would know when i am dreaming. on the third night i did (wont go into details) and never had that nightmare again. also-

now that i'm much older i havent been able to do it again :(

I have reaccouring sleep paralysis and I didn't know it until know. Thanks guys for all the great info. Every few months, I'll "wake up" but will not be able to move anything but my eyes. I alway seem to focus on the window in my room when I'm "awake" and seem to see lights flashing and even have had the feeling that I was spinning around. At first it would scare the hell out of me, but now when I'm aware of the situation I just keep telling myself, "I'm dreaming" and tell myself to "wake up". Just a few weeks ago, I was in this state and had my first falling sensation. I've had falling dreams before but this was totally different. It was cool and yet a bit scary. I wonder if there is a way to tie sleep paralysis into lucid dreaming? I'd love to take control of these situations and my dreams!

Edited by 0sw4ld

I hate when I I'll wake up at night from a dream sitting up or I jerk my head into the wall, but falling sensatins are fun, the feel more than real its crazy.

Falling sensations are so cool. Except that time I was actually falling out of my bed....

I have reaccouring sleep paralysis and I didn't know it until know. Thanks guys for all the great info. Every few months, I'll "wake up" but will not be able to move anything but my eyes. I alway seem to focus on the window in my room when I'm "awake" and seem to see lights flashing and even have had the feeling that I was spinning around. At first it would scare the hell out of me, but now when I'm aware of the situation I just keep telling myself, "I'm dreaming" and tell myself to "wake up". Just a few weeks ago, I was in this state and had my first falling sensation. I've had falling dreams before but this was totally different. It was cool and yet a bit scary. I wonder if there is a way to tie sleep paralysis into lucid dreaming? I'd love to take control of these situations and my dreams!

OMG! your being abducted!

I have reaccouring sleep paralysis and I didn't know it until know. Thanks guys for all the great info. Every few months, I'll "wake up" but will not be able to move anything but my eyes. I alway seem to focus on the window in my room when I'm "awake" and seem to see lights flashing and even have had the feeling that I was spinning around. At first it would scare the hell out of me, but now when I'm aware of the situation I just keep telling myself, "I'm dreaming" and tell myself to "wake up".  Just a few weeks ago, I was in this state and had my first falling sensation. I've had falling dreams before but this was totally different. It was cool and yet a bit scary. I wonder if there is a way to tie sleep paralysis into lucid dreaming? I'd love to take control of these situations and my dreams!

OMG! your being abducted!

Haha...Kinda figured someone would say that! But for real, visual hallucinations along with a falling or spinning sensation are common with sleep paraylsis. I bet most or all 'alien abductees' have just experienced a sleep paraylsis episode and didn't know how to explain it. The similarities between so called alien abduction reports and sleep paraylsis studies are just too similar. I have been reading up on this for the past few days and it is really quite interesting.

I have dreams aboout being hit in the head with bags of money after I robbed a bank. I wake up to my wife hitting me over the head with a board.

Is there anything wrong with that?

All thru the day, keep asking yourself, "Am I awake? or asleep.."

Im sure you know "im awake stupiud!"

but..in a dream, you will ask yourself this, and if you look for clues you will catch on..

Whoa...this is a dream.. helped me get started.

Once in a dream, keep telling yourself I am in control.