feeble

Xterm

5 posts in this topic

I've been trying to set what i belive to be the enviroment varables for xterm/rxvt, coz im a tart sometimes and want things to look how i want them.

I've got as far as getting xterm using the -ls (login shell) option to read my /etc/.profile

and show my PS1 prompt and set the title.

But i cant find any help on changing the background, text color or transparnty... the man pages only mention changing the behiver and color of the cursour?...

Take this info with a grain of salt due to my noobness but I think if you type setterm -background(bg for short) color

-foreground(fg for short) color that should change it.

this link may help: xterm color changing

to get it to be perminate you will have to change a .conf file I think.

Thanks,

+J

I'm not entirely sure that xterm does transparency. Both aterm and Eterm handle it fine. Eterm is the terminal for the Enlightenment WM, but you can run it with anything. It's very configurable, if not intuitive. At least not right away.

aterm can be easily configured through an .Xdefaults file in your home directory. You can also set all kinds of parameters like rounded corners and borderless term windows and such. It'd look something like this:

aterm*borderWidth:0

aterm*transparent:true

aterm*shading:80

aterm*scrollBar:false

You can find all about what resources you can configure in the manpage, or type aterm --options or aterm --help. Google Xdefaults. The first listing will give you a sample file and the second will give you more info on how to set it up. I didn't look further than that. You probably already have aterm installed, so you may want to try that one first and see if you like it. It's just about exactly like xterm, and even uses xterm config parameters as well as its own. Eterm you'll have to download, install and configure.

PF

you have to build your ternimals specifically with transparency support, check their manpages for the config flag

thanks for the info guys. i settled for useing aterm and eterm in the end

and that would be my suggestion to anyone else who wants to configure the look and feel of your tems