Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bland_inquisitor

binary revolution

86 posts in this topic

well, we are hoping for getting picked up by a distributor, but that is incredibly more difficult than it sounds. If you take that step and investigate you will see what I mean. That is the reason we are starting on the web. We have to prove that there is an audience out there.

Like Hackers Digest, we will also be operating at a loss. Trust me, we will not be making any money off of this. If we ever do get a distributor, it will be even more capital hungry. If we ever make a buck, it will immediately be turned over into other DDP projects which give back to the community and to organizations like the EFF. That is our intent. Not profit.

On the other hand, if there is not any interest in buying a printed zine, then we will probably continue to create the zine online as much as we can. I just happen to think that there are already a lot of online zines (which again, we support) and one more from DDP might be too much.

Also, I appreciate the fact that you are willing to pay for an online version, but I think that most people outside of our small circle of friends and supporters, would not be willing to pay for an online zine. Especially when there are so many great zines for free.

Also, you sound like you havent looked at the sample pages yet. go to http://www.binrev.com and look at the current issue. It is content *AND* flash. We are proud of that combination, and one does not detract from the other.

Just from a logistical standpoint, unless you are a wealthy philanthropist, you need to charge *something* for operating and publishing costs. We're putting out the first issue of /bin/rev/ "on the cheap", mainly due to printing costs, but also due to our member-based distribution network as it currently stands. The production costs for printing something at a commercial printer (as opposed to Kinkos) are pretty steep, and most places won't even talk to you unless you want to print at least 2500 copies. Even if we could afford to print 2500 copies of the zine at a commercial, the shipping costs for getting them into the hands of the people who would be selling it would be astronomical.

As far as the cover price, you need to consider not only the printing costs, but other factors too: payment for the binrev.com domain name; the binrev.com web hosting account; phone calls to coordinate and plan each issue....and much more.

ok, sorry to "bump" this thread, but the binary revolution page has been updated today. Be sure to check out the "current issue" page to see the new layout style, and also, the "order" page is also up, with the paypal link, and the mailing addy that dual gave out on the last RFA.

On another note, Logan5 sent me a WHIP-butt flash that i am going to make into a front page..more to come :)

I just ordered my copy via paypal because I've never had problems with them and I've used them a lot.

I was reading what other people said about not having the texts or pdfs available for free. I was thinking that it would be cool if you made the pdfs from the current issue available once the next issue comes out. Or you could just wait a certain time frame.

Even if it was all available online I would still want the real deal in my hand. Much more portable and easier to read IMO.

I'm looking forward to getting my copy.

Im having a few issues with the binrev site:

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

I noticed that too. Looks like a problem with the permissions of the directory with the image. Its hard to find your way around when you look at the html. There is a lot of unnecessary junk in there. Looks like the page was created in Word.... thats why there is all the BS html.

I noticed that too. Looks like a problem with the permissions of the directory with the image.  Its hard to find your way around when you look at the html.  There is a lot of unnecessary junk in there.  Looks like the page was created in Word.... thats why there is all the BS html.

Well I just looked at it again, seems to me like instead of the image code being linked to an image it is linked to the html page. Also a suggestion, its common to use <br> instead of spaces to make words appear on a new line (which I assume was the intension) however you must remember not everybody have the same screen resolution / default text size.

As i've said before, i’d gladly code something up in Perl / help in sorting out the issues with the site - just let me know.

I think your right about being created in Word - In my opinion you really should not create web pages in word, there is just no need for it - Word is a typing program plain and simple.

I forgot to post these with my last post. Here is some art. I've had nothing better to do this Saturday.

Just 2 basic photoshop creations...

binrev2.jpg

binrev1.jpg

Very slick mollusk. Especially the second one :voteyes: .

Very slick mollusk. Especially the second one :voteyes: .

lol, i was gonna say the first one......

wow, the site looks great on my comp :) We are going to use a picture of the cover in place of the "missing" image. and yes, i wrote that page in word because my windows box is the only comp i have available right now. everything is functional, i will make it more eye-pleasing a little later.

It looks great on mine also, with IE under XP. The navbar needs to be moved back to left aligned, but I think once we get the picture in, it will be easier to touch that up.

We had a more important goal, and that was getting the paypal link up and working so we could start fulfilling orders. Friday was official release day and we wanted it to be available online as well.

I forgot to post these with my last post.   Here is some art.  I've had nothing better to do this Saturday.

Just 2 basic photoshop creations...

Very cool, man! If I had to pick one, I'd vote for #2. :voteyes: :voteyes:

Good work!

wow, the site looks great on my comp :)  

Looks good here too....in Mozilla, IE and Safari. Nice work, bland!

question: I'm in canada, is my order considered "international", and do i have to bother w/ sending an envelope?

nice touch w/ the popup on the address info btw.

djmollusk: nice work man :voteyes:

i was just wondering if i were to send u guys the 5-spot in the mail, would i need to include an envelope?

im not much into paypal

paypal is not required b/c we know some people are uncorfortable with it for one reason or another.

dual is handling the cash aspect and the directions and address are on the current issue page of binrev.com so check it out! :)

But what if we WANT to use paypal? still ok, right?

/me hasnt looked at the site due to time constraints, and probly should... ;)

Ok but for us people who live outside the U.S. and want to use paypal where do we go as the order page is not working @ binrev.com ?

Is it just a case of witing for it to be posted up ?

order page not working?

just tested it...it seems to be working. You can go to ORDER THE MAG or go to CURRENT ISSUE and click on the buy now button.

If they are not working, let me know...I just shipped out the first batch of orders though, so it was working.

sup y'all

i updated the binrev.com site last night and took off the "order the mag" page as it was redundant. You can order issue 1 off the "current issue" page from now on. As we move into a situation where we have back issues, you can order each issue individualy from there, and the current issue page will be kept...well current. Speaking of the current issue page, i cleaned up the code a little (read: didn't use ms word) and took out some of the offending bar seperators and just cleaned the whole thing up a little. the cover graphic now works, and thanks to logan5, its awesome. if you all find some layout aspects don't work with your browser/OS/screen res/whatever, post it here and i'll cuss about it...then fix it :)

bland

I would like to order via the sending cash method.

Is there anything special that needs to be done or just sending an envelope with a five spot in it?

feend, you might want to hit dual up at the next 2600 meeting instead. Dont you go to the same meeting?