Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kern_alert

Airport Extreme Replacement

4 posts in this topic

I have a 12 inch TiBook, and I prefer GNU/Linux to OS X. Unfortunately the airport extreme is not supported by Linux because of the well known uncooperativeness of the chip maker (broadcom? cant remember. w\e...).

The 12 inch does not have a PCMCIA slot, so getting any old wireless card will not work. I had heard that there was another (linux supported) wireless card that would fit into the funky slot under the battery where the existing card resides, but I've had no luck in finding it. Anyone?

I suppose it's possible that I move to an airport card (802.11b) if all else fails, but "I prefer not to".

So, you want one that'll fit in that slot, is supported by Linux *and* is still 802.11g ? Ha. The "funky" slot is Mini-PCI but they aren't pin per pin compatible. So you'd probably damage something by putting a regular Mini-PCI card in there.

Short answer, I doubt you'll find an alternative apart from dropping to the regular Airport card until somebody cracks one open and gets the pinouts right or writes an osx wrapper for Linux.

I have a 12 inch TiBook, and I prefer GNU/Linux to OS X.  Unfortunately the airport extreme is not supported by Linux because of the well known uncooperativeness of the chip maker (broadcom? cant remember.  w\e...). 

The 12 inch does not have a PCMCIA slot, so getting any old wireless card will not work.  I had heard that there was another (linux supported) wireless card that would fit into the funky slot under the battery where the existing card resides, but I've had no luck in finding it.  Anyone? 

I suppose it's possible that I move to an airport card (802.11b) if all else fails, but "I prefer not to".

I'd say you're S.O.L.

AFAIK, 802.11g support for Linux is pretty abysmal, but someone correct me of I'm wrong.

Broadcom refuses to release the specs on the chipset that is used in the AE cards (and others as well), so no one has been able to write drivers for them.

You also won't be able to put another card into that 12" PowerBook. The AirPort Extreme cards are the only thing that will work in any of the Aluminum PowerBooks.

AFAIK, 802.11g support for Linux is pretty abysmal, but someone correct me of I'm wrong.

Not quite, PrismGT (Indigo/Duette) are supported which are fairly common to find. Atheros, Broadcom and Intel have 802.11g but as you said, don't really give out specs (because they're SWR). But, just as they did rev-eng the ipw2100 drivers for Intel (Centrino), perhaps in the near future it'll get busted open and Broadcom will be the ones with egg all over their faces.