Parapsycho

Are Tone Dialers Worthless?

32 posts in this topic

I am looking to buy a calculator for school, and I found one that has a built-in tone dialer for like $5. I'll probably get it as a novelty thing, but I was wondering if they were still useful for anything interesting. I searched the phreak forum, but all i really found were other people saying they were going to buy tone dialers, but not what for. I figured there has to be something that can be done with them...

Thanks,

Para

You can generate touchtones. This is useful in situations where the dial is broken, but since that rarely happens these days, you'll find the thing mostly useless.

This is kinda off topic, but on your page with payphone pics you posted some from Diablo Valley College, which is where I go to school. I thought that was interesting. I could take some new pics of them and see if they have changed at all, if you are interested...

Thanks for the advice on the tone generator. I'l probably get it anyway, like I said, as a novelty....

No man. They serve alot of purposes. Say your on a cellphone and you call your buddy, and then 3way another number that you need to pass DTMF. With your cell providers network doesnt support that. So thats when you can bust out a dtmf dialer. Or payphones that have the keypad disabled when you dial 10102880 to avoid payphone surcharges when using a calling card. Theres alot of reasons for one. Remember tho you can just use an old cellphone to pass DTMF on your phone. Just grab an old phone you have put away and turn the volume up to the loudest and there you go. Thats what I do at the current moment.

I've used mine to pass DTMF over a bridge which mutes phone-generated tones.

If you have rotary phones hooked into an ATA for VoIP, you can use tone dialers to dial, as there are no ATAs that support pulse dialing.

Not that I am bitter or anything. *looks at his collection of rotary dial phones* :mumble:

Ive never owned of expierenced a tone dialer, but I have found my self in need of one in some occasion when im out and about.

For instance, some building offices have curtiousey phones that are used to dial into a desired office with in a building. The ones I have seen were usually located right before the front door and have a listing of doctor offices and names to reach. Since these phones dont have a dial pad im assuming one could take a tone dialer and try seeing if one could access a outside line unless the phone it self is just hard wired with in a building or could be wired into the office buildings PBX, which could allow that phone a outside line by dialing ( toning ) 9. Has any one ever played with these type of phones?

I have a software tone dialer which saved my ass on the call I made to Dell for Underfire Radio. I didn't know about the no DTMF of three-way thing, so I was wondering why the hell I couldn't make any tones on the menu. So I pulled up the tone dialer and used that to get through the menus. Worked like a charm, as you can hear on the call on Episode 5 I believe...

So yeah, they do serve a purpose. Then there's always secondary benefits. Red boxing still works on some phones in some areas, and you can always get that annoying bitch in the seat next to you in Chemistry who's always text messaging during the lecture in trouble by keeping the dialer in your pocket and hitting random tones to draw attention to her...

The Abstruse One

If you have rotary phones hooked into an ATA for VoIP, you can use tone dialers to dial, as there are no ATAs that support pulse dialing.

Not that I am bitter or anything. *looks at his collection of rotary dial phones* :mumble:

Well some vonage users may still have the Motorolla ATA it supported pulse dialing but was kinda buggy. I got rid of mine and now have the new linksys ATA/3 port router.

If you use Asterisk, a rotary phone plugged into a Zaptel card will not only work beautifully with Asterisk, but Asterisk will actually convert your rotary dialing into DTMF before outpulsing the digits onto the PSTN. Awesome++.

Edited by Strom Carlson

My friend's apartment has a thing where when you press the button corresponding to his name to get 'buzzed in', it will dial his phone (cell phone actually). He then presses 9 to open the door. If you had a tone dialer you could blast a 9 tone through the speakers and let yourself in, provided the microphone didn't mangle the sound too much.

Also there are those airport phones that just have the handset and when you pick them up call a certain hotel. Maybe you could play a zero through the handset as soon as you get dial tone and then place a call somewhere else. Not sure if either of these would work, but you can see that a tone dialer could be useful.

My friend's apartment has a thing where when you press the button corresponding to his name to get 'buzzed in', it will dial his phone (cell phone actually). He then presses 9 to open the door. If you had a tone dialer you could blast a 9 tone through the speakers and let yourself in, provided the microphone didn't mangle the sound too much.

Also there are those airport phones that just have the handset and when you pick them up call a certain hotel. Maybe you could play a zero through the handset as soon as you get dial tone and then place a call somewhere else. Not sure if either of these would work, but you can see that a tone dialer could be useful.

Hmmm,Im not sure but I believe with the gates at your friends apt,it would have to be specific on his line only.Unless you could get a echo to hit his shit.So the 9 would bounce back from his line.I do know that when I was trying to call my apt office last month sometime,they have their IVR shit pick up and takes forever to get to talk to someone.So of course I just scanned around that block they were assigned and I hit an extention that would open up both gates.It even made the same noise that you hear when put in the access code at the gate.I thought that was pretty cool though.PEace.

This RARELY works, most gate entry systems know which side of the call the 9 tone is coming from and your plans would be foiled. However, on the topic of gate entry systems, many of them have programming codes with default passwords which allows you to change or add a new gate entry code, modify the display text, or even modify what phone number a code will dial. I have memorized the defaults for Sentex and DKS gate systems, since that's what's mostly used in my area, it saves my ass a lot when I'm delivering pizza and the party forgot to give the code that rings them or the passcode to get in. There is one system which I haven't researched to find the default programming codes, nor do I even know if you can program it by the keypad. Whenever I encounter one of these, I just call random people in the apartment complex and say, "Hi this is John with Verizon, were doing some tests on your phone line, could you press the 9 key for me." Works like a charm everytime(especially when it's raining, then I say 'were doing some tests out here in the rain, some of the phone lines have been encountering static problems, etc..)

Don't those gates have to open for emergency vehicles? And isn't it done using a photosensitive sensor which detects the frequency of the light shift (eh... it detects how many times the light goes on and off) and opens the gates? So can't you just flash the sensor? Or do those systems use sound?

/off-topic.

I doubt it. The speed of the lights on ambulances at least aren't the same on all the vehicles. I got stuck behind one about a month ago and watched the lights to prove they didn't flash the same speed even on the same vehicle.

The Abstruse One

?? What do you mean?

I don't know what he means maybe he can explain,I do know that traffic lights are set-up different in different places.Here in phx they use RF signals to change the lights in emergency situations.Theres a device you can buy I saw a while back that will do it.You can only buy it if your a police blah blah or a Private detective thats licenced (heh sorry spelling)

My local news had a report about those a while back on how people in SF were using them and causing more traffic for others and how it could cause alot of destruction in some cases. I dont remember what they called them but they showed one that had a light and some high RF transmitter I think it was.

Don't those gates have to open for emergency vehicles? And isn't it done using a photosensitive sensor which detects the frequency of the light shift (eh... it detects how many times the light goes on and off) and opens the gates? So can't you just flash the sensor? Or do those systems use sound?

/off-topic.

Emergency vehicles in my area use the 3M Opticom systems. These use infrared signaling to automatically change the lights for emergency vehicles. The municipality may set the system to change the lights to green for the emergency vehicle or set all lights to red to stop traffic in the intersection. The older systems used a consant signaling rate and were quickly exploited. The newer systems use a coded signaling rate set by the local municipality. Most systems also have floodlights attached to the recievers that activate when in use. This lights allow police to know when the system is active, both to ensure their transmiters are functioning and to catch unauthorized users. These systems are sold for use in Emergency [PDF] and Transit [PDF] applications.

Locally, the Opticom systems set the emergency vehicle's lane to green and activate the flood lights, solid in the active (green) direction and flashing in the blocked(red). I have not discovered if the system is coded nor attempted to exploit it as I have no deisre to mess with a system designed to save lives.

pbx43k

In Australia I don't know of any place where I can purchase a tone dialer locally, and I don't particularly want to order one from overseas.

I would love to have one though, for use with an old rotary phone of mine. I was thinking of two methods to get a tone dialer happening.

1) Software for my Palm (which has an inbuilt speaker), I don't know how well it would work though, or where/if such software exists.

2) Build one. I have access to a DTMF encoder IC, but I would need the circuit diagram to create one, which I have been unable to find with my brief googling.

If anyone here can help me out, that would be much appreciated.

I would love to have one though, for use with an old rotary phone of mine.

Wait a second - Telstra no longer supports pulse dialing on their switches? What the assrape is that?!

1) Software for my Palm (which has an inbuilt speaker), I don't know how well it would work though, or where/if such software exists.

such palm software exists, but does not work well, (and in atleast the palm1/pro/III) it requires upgrading the speaker..

a google hunt can find you the info..

I would love to have one though, for use with an old rotary phone of mine.

Wait a second - Telstra no longer supports pulse dialing on their switches? What the assrape is that?!

I fixed it and connected it yesterday, works fine. Was able to send and receive calls, local and long distance.

Edit: May be because I am in a regional area? No idea.

Edited by Yelsaeb