Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Strom Carlson

Afternoon soldering projects

14 posts in this topic

Very cool, if not a tad cumbersome. ^_^

Nice, have you taken it out in public yet? If you do I bet you will get some curious reactions from people.

Published By: Sub-S0nix

Edited By: Strom

Edited by SUB-S0NIX

Nice, have you tooken it out in public yet? If you do I bet you will get some curious reactions from people.

Not yet; I just finished it this afternoon. It'll be fun to use this on the freeway and see what people do. In fact, I'd---

wait.

tooken

TAKEN!!!!

E-mail me your address right now so that I can ship you a dictionary.

I was finally able to find what that reminded me of!

MobilePC Magazine: October 2004

Yea its black and white but i had to get it under 250k and resizing was causing all kinds of problems

Edited by GIJoe

Alright actually this might work better: tbd3oc.th.gif

I was finally able to find what that reminded me of!

MobilePC Magazine: October 2004

Oh YEAH?! Well I have something older than a WECO desk handset AND a candlestick phone! Behold, magneto-cell! It takes some getting used to and requires new users to beef up a little, but the end result is definitely worth it.

magnetobrick3ze.th.jpg

Hehe, just kidding. It looks like it came out pretty well. It reminds me of a "Pokia" handset. See http://search.ebay.com/pokia

Edit: More Pokia information at http://www.pokia.com/

Edited by BlakeOPS

nice, i built something similar, for the nokia, i just took a handsfree set and put it inside the shell, and replaced the earphone, not as sexy since it had plain thin handsfree cord coming out the bottom, worked pretty good for scanning, tried it on my accoutic-cup adapter but modern digital service would not pass enough sound-range to let it work for modeming..

modern digital service would not pass enough sound-range to let it work for modeming..

actually, the problem is that mobile phones only give you about 1/10 to 1/5 of the bandwidth a standard ulaw pcm call over t-carrier does; the audio is compressed to hell before being transmitted. A standard DS0 gives you 64 kilobits of bandwidth per second; a mobile phone gives you somewhere between six and nine kilobits per seond depending on the codec in use.

Most people don't pay enough attention to the audio and don't realize that there's a difference, although personally I can barely tolerate it (this is why I used maybe 75 minutes of airtime last month). The codecs are designed around the effective transmission and reproduction of speech, but music doesn't do too well with them, and since modems require precise tonal reproduction, they really don't do well at all with the artifacting introduced by most if not all compression schemes.

Now, if I could get a ulaw channel on my mobile phone, that would rock. :D

Nice, have you tooken it out in public yet? If you do I bet you will get some curious reactions from people.

Not yet; I just finished it this afternoon. It'll be fun to use this on the freeway and see what people do. In fact, I'd---

wait.

tooken

TAKEN!!!!

E-mail me your address right now so that I can ship you a dictionary.

Yet again, Strom, I must thank you. That just made my day. Your grammar sense must have been tingling!

I've always liked that idea of a handsfree set with a retro reciever. It just reminds me of the The Pokia.

Hey Strom, will you make me one?

Wow, that made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

How hard would that be for a novice solder-er to do?