Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
White_Raven

VMware Box

10 posts in this topic

As you all know I have been without hardware except for the use of my girls lappy running xppro; today I was able to hack together a box out of a old motherboard that was shot (it had exploded, or rather the floppy drive interface had during a test of some code I was working on... dont ask, please as I dont remember as I was drunk at the time and it took out the harddrive as well... I have no idea how) and got a bunch of old hardware working with my one and only nt4 workstation oem disk (got it and the oem licence free.. given to me, lol) and after updating and securing it I installed vmware 3.0 (the newest needs a i686 to run, this is a amd k2 based system), and so I am now looking for os's to install.

The base OS is NT4sp6 (All I had a cd of, her lappy doesnt have the harddrive space for nix isos), updated and secured with every patch and upgrade I can find and many of the troublsome stuff either uninstalled or disabled for security, add to that its behind a nat firewall and it should be fine.

Right now Im installing slackware (of course) but as this does not have a floppy drive (the no hardware/money/interface problem, remember this thing is built out of parts thought to be dead) some of the ones I wanted to install can not be.. so Im asking you all what you think should be added.

The system specs are as follows:

2 ide hardrives (not exact but then I dont care);

ide 0,0 = 5 gig Caviar 35100, partioned into 3 drives.

p0 = 2000 meg bootable, os system files (fat) and C:

p1 = 2000 meg (fat) and D:

p2 = 917 meg (fat) and F:

ide 0,1 = Maxter 3.2 gig partioned into 2 drives.

p0 = 1000 meg (fat) and G:

p1 = 2000 meg (fat) and E:

1 sound card;

sound blaster 16 card.

1 modem:

Taicom MR56PVS Soft PCI (voice comp. with mic/spk plugs) (com 2)

1 nic:

N2k compatble nic (working via dhcp on a internal network)

Has both coaxal and ethernet plugins, using eithernet for network

1 Videocard:

s3 911/924 chipset, 1 meg VRAM

1 cpu:

k2 450 underclocked to 412 due to low mult. on bus, motherboard

1 stick RAM

Only DIMM slot:

128 meg pc100 ram

There ya go... got any ideas?

You are looking for other operating systems to use with vmware? I'm not exactly sure what it is you are asking/trying to do?

I say use that coax and go all thinnet baby!

Im basicly looking for operating systems to run under virtual mach. in windows.. I want slackare in there for sure but past that Im not realy sure due to the systems own hardware limitations.. with slack I cant install much in the way of gui (not that I need it mind you) due to the 1 meg card, and some of the other ones I played around with I cant find or use due to hardware.. so Im looking for ideas for os's to hack around on.

<zealot>

Debian!

</zealot>

I wonder if v2os and/or AtheOS would run on that...

For that matter why didn't I think of running AtheOS in VMware before?

Ok.. I have a debian net instal cd I just burned, since it was so small.. as far as atheos, its a flopp install adn i have no floppy.

Hmm... I thought you could get a floppy image and do a virtual floppy in VMware. Maybe that was Bochs though.

Oh man... I've gotta stop downing coffee after work.

looked at the site, athos is possible but you need floppy imaes that I dont have and cant make :(

Don't feel too bad. Their server won't let me completely download the AtheOS base package anyway. I tried from Mozilla and IE on two different machines and it always disconnects in a different place...

Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. It's unfortunate because AtheOS just looks sooo cool. :-/