Xeys

To Imac g3 or not...

29 posts in this topic

Ok, I am looking at 12 inch notebooks. Ibook, or Powerbook? I will not be playng games, But will be doing unix work, and maybe burning dvds... But is the powerbook worth the premium? I'd rather get the portable, because that way I can take it to classes with me. Ideas, opinions? How much Ram will be sufficient?

If you're getting some extra $$$, then you will be FAR happier with a new iBook or PowerBook than a G3 iMac.

If you want a 12" laptop, and given what you've said said you want to do, I'd steer you towards the 12" PowerBook. The SuperDrive (DVD/CD-RW) is not an option on the 12" iBooks (just the 14" iBooks), but it comes standard on the higher end 12" PowerBook.

But, given the 5 year lifespan before you can get anything else that you're talking about, you might want to look at the 15" PowerBooks.

Apple just upped the features on the PowerBooks and dropped the price by a couple hundred $$$ on some for the models. The iBooks are great machines, but there are some things they are missing compared to what the PowerBooks have:

- iBooks have no PCMIA slots (but neither does the 12" PowerBook)

- iBooks have no S-Video out (neither does the 12" PowerBook)

- iBooks can not have a dual monitor setup (they only mirror an external monitor)

- The max RAM on the iBooks is 1.25GB (256MB on the logic board, and once slot for up to a 1GB chip). The PowerBooks max out at 2GB for the 15" and 17", and 1.25GB for the 12".

- PowerBooks have built-in Bluetooth standard, iBooks do not. The newly updated PowerBooks have Bluetooth 2.0

- Both iBooks & PowerBooks have built in 802.11g/b (AirPort Extreme) standard

- iBooks have 10/100 Base-T Ethernet, PowerBooks have Gigabit Ethernet....might make a big difference if you have access to a Gigabit network.

- The PowerBooks all come with 512MB of RAM installed, the iBooks only have 256MB.

Some good info on all the updated PowerBooks can be found here:

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/01/31/powerbook/index.php

If you want to burn DVDs and work in Unix, the extra power of the PowerBooks would be worth the money. But, one thing for sure.....the iBooks are a little more rugged.

Plus, if this is a machine that will need to last you 5+ years, then the extra investment in a new updated PowerBook will mean you're more apt to get a machine that will hold up against any updated technology that comes along during that time.

HTH.......

Cool, thanks for the replies. I am leaning towards the 12 inch for portability. I'm not sure how much bigger(really) the 15 inch will be in the end... As a side note, I am frustrated that the school offers no perl classes. But Java is slated for the upcoming fall semester. I still plan to use vi and such. Not sure about the command line stuff for java tho. The battery life on the ibook vs the powerbook, how is it? Also, the ruggedness of the machine is important also. No, my dad doesn't get the whole mac thing at all. I finally stopped argueing with him this afternoon, and we are now off the topic. I think he just thinks that I'm nuts. But then again, I tried to set up a Ubuntu box for him and he didn't want that either. He's 85 tho, so I try to remember that. He does like the idea that a unix of some sort will stop his virus problem, but he won't even use firefox. And he want's me to fix hiis boxes... *sigh*. Still love Pop, just gets frustrating when he won't do what I ask of him as far as security and web browsing and such. Oh well... My roommie told me today he would get a mac if he could afford one. I will be letting him use my mac, or maybe get him a super cheapie for him... Were close and he's been a good bud for many years. He's a neophyte, so for him a super cheap linux box might be ok for him. What I love about him is that he knows nothing about the specs, and just wants email. lol. A 250 linux box is definitely a option for him. Might get him and old 266 pentium. He casts envious eyes over to my side of the room, and I do let him do stuff, but be nice to get him his own box. My dad has a old 200 machine that I will probley hook up for my buddy. Keep those comments coming in, I read every one. Also, I'd like to give props to my pops for the hookup. It's great thyat I've got that suppot. I have friends who had to cut the lifeline and work a job and try to do school, and my hat's off to them. Ok, I gotta run, Books are calling. Have a great day!

Battery life and ruggedness definitely go to the iBook.

When I had my 900Mhz G3 iBook, I could get just over 3 hours with it, that's with the airport card running and optimal energy saver settings. With my 15" PowerBook fully charged with the same settings, I can get about 2 hours, 15 minutes + or -. Someone with a G4 iBook might be able to give a better indication of those, since they draw more power then the G3 iBook did, but still, they are a little bit better than the PowerBook.

Ruggedness: the iBooks win again. I love the aluminum of the PowerBook (light and sleek), but could never take the same pounding an iBook could.

Ok, I haven't been back on this thread in a while, and I'm not restarting it. I'd like to thank everyone who gave me insight into things; I'm glad to have seen so many varied opinions. Many thanks to Logan5, as I recently listened to Binrev Radio Episodes 10 and 33; coupled with his advice I have read here I have ended up purchasing a imac g3 700 SE with 1 gig of ram. OS X Panther runs well. It's the linux box I always wanted, but without the headaches. Please don't flame; I know most people eventually get the kinks worked out of their linux boxes, but I really didn't want to fight with the box. I'm not stupid. I just want things to work, and I want a shell and a chance to learn Unix. With a dual boot box, I always felt like I was giving up useability for security, and vice versa. Now, I feel like I have it all. I will admit that this machine does feel slow, but I haven't enjoyed computing this much since I learned turtle logo on my apple 2e when I was 12. After I gave it some thought, I realized I may as well continue with food service, as I have done it for a long time now. I had thought about going back to school for cs degree; but I feel I am now too old(31). Unlike many of you, I do not have a "techy" life. I work as a kitchen sgt in a texas prison on the night shift, and will be going back to school for a food service management degree. I have 50 hours so far; but I'm getting older and need to finish a degree. I am very interested in tech and such; but I have 8 years in food service and do enjoy it. Ok, I guess I'm out of here. I will be posting more on the forums for sure. I have seen no elitism or snobby behaviour on here at all. I appreciate it; I know I'm a "newb" but knowing what you don't know is the first sign of wisdom. Hopefully, I won't make an ass out of myself too much on these forums.

Xeys