Xeys

To Imac g3 or not...

29 posts in this topic

I have been on the fence about getting a mac for a while now. I am considering a imac g3 for about 350. Can some one tell me about these machine? Pros, cons?

Thanks!

ps. I know I can google all day long, but I'd rather have someone tell me about thier own experiences, and wether or not they are still useable.

Well, im not for apple at all. Hate their ipods, computers, and how everything they have starts with I. But they do have a great design. If your getting one for 350 then that is too cheap. I hate how hard they are add hardware. I dont like there OS to much. Hay, might as well try it out for 350.

Some facts you can find that are bad is http://www.mac-sucks.com/

I have been on the fence about getting a mac for a while now. I am considering a imac g3 for about 350. Can some one tell me about these machine? Pros, cons?

Thanks!

ps. I know I can google all day long, but I'd rather have someone tell me about thier own experiences, and wether or not they are still useable.

A g3 based machine is going to run os x rather sluggishly in my experience. It's okay, but really not a great experience. If you get one, make sure to get a lot of ram (not 256M, 512M or 1G will help a lot).

Personally, i'd want the minimum to be a g4 for a good os x experience. 350$ is quite a lot for a g3 based mac. What kinda memory and hd space does it come with? You might want to look at the newly released mini macs.

Well, im not for apple at all. Hate their ipods, computers, and how everything they have starts with I. But they do have a great design. If your getting one for 350 then that is too cheap. I hate how hard they are add hardware. I dont like there OS to much. Hay, might as well try it out for 350.

don't be hateing

my mac is one of the best things i've ever bought....and as for the g3.....i wouldn't put os x on an imac g3 because its going to be pretty slow and i believe that the powermac g3 is the oldest mac apple offically supports under os x

i'm no mac guru but i too think you might be better off saveing up $100 or so so you can get a Mac Mini

imac G3 specs

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac...s/imac_333.html

mac mini specs

http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

Edited by TelcoBob

Ah, the mini mac blows (sorry to those who like) Its the cheapest MAC yet i compaired to a PC and it sucks. I know the CPUs are different, but the mini mac has only 1.25GHz. I hate the mini mac and also the new ipod shuffle, there all over priced and the Iriver owns. Anyway, if you like the MAC then you should get the mac, but i will stay with the PC's.

Also buying RAM for a MAC is much more than PC, and look at the DDR2, it kills the mini macs RAM speed. All hardware for the MAC are much more expensive.

Edited by shadow

We have a G3 iMac (400Mhz) which we got when they came out and it has been great. Ours is the 2nd gen with the slot loading CD/DVD and it runs OS X fine if you load it up with RAM, which is very cheap now days. If the machine is still in good working condition then $350 isn't too bad at all. They are very durable and the CRT is very clear, they also have USB, firewire, ethernet and 56k modem built-in. Go for it.

Ah, the mini mac blows (sorry to those who like) Its the cheapest MAC yet i compaired to a PC and it sucks. I know the CPUs are different, but the mini mac has only 1.25GHz. I hate the mini mac and also the new ipod shuffle, there all over priced and the Iriver owns. Anyway, if you like the MAC then you should get the mac, but i will stay with the PC's.

Also buying RAM for a MAC is much more than PC, and look at the DDR2, it kills the mini macs RAM speed. All hardware for the MAC are much more expensive.

Clock frequency is not a very useful way to measure performance; never has been, never will be. It gets borderline silly to some extent as well, since most people don't run very many cpu bound applications, and they are instead more io bound.

For what it's worth, the performance of my g4 mac (1.3ghz) is no worse than my sony vaio fs500, and I prefer it for some tasks (but not for others). Of course, the biggest redeeming quality of the mac is that it's a unix workstation with significant desktop application support. That alone makes it worth a price premium, atleast for me (and for many others, I suspect).

The worst part of the mac mini (indeed, nearly all macs) is that it is configured with an amount of memory that will not run os x very effectively. Put 1G in a mac mini, and it is a very nice unix workstation.

Well, for more info, it's a 700 mhz g3 Imac. 60 gb hard drive. 512 ram, running 10.3.

Well, for more info, it's a 700 mhz g3 Imac. 60 gb hard drive. 512 ram, running 10.3.

It'll probably run 10.3 pretty well with 512M ram. It is one of the speedier g3s, which is good. I'd personally spend the extra and get a g4 based machine, but the g3 you are considering sounds like it'll be just fine.

For the mac mini to be practical, you are going to need to buy 256m ram plus a video display, and a keyboard/mouse kit (dont buy an apple branded one, they are expensive). This brings the mac mini considerably above the price you are looking at, even though on the surface it appears to be close.

The purpose of this machine will be for programming, listening to my cds(which I'll rip into itunes), and burning misic cds to take with me when I travel. I am also considering a 20 gig ipod. What say you?

Ah, one more thing. The biggest appeal is it's small size and compactness. It should fit perfectly on top of my fridge in the dorm.

Definitely pony up the extra and go for a mini. It's not really that much extra for what you'll be getting. I've played around with one running 10.3 and it's snappy. Only watch out for the "get 256 Mb more RAM" info I've seen around (no offense to anyone). You're looking at getting at least a 512 Mb stick, since there's only one slot. So unless you're going to get Apple to do it, don't expect to buy a second 256 Mb stick and have 512.

As for the haters: :roll: Give me a break...

PF

As for the haters:  :roll:  Give me a break...

PF

Amen, brother. As with so many thing in life, ingorance breeds hate.

QUOTE (shadow @ Jan 29 2005, 11:31 AM)

Um....yeah.....if you want a bunch of unsubstantiaed disinformation check this site out. What a laugh. The loose definition of "facts" that people throw around these days is amazing. This is a "gem" from this so called bastion of facts:

In fact many applications available don't come with a graphical user interface, so if you want them to work, you better start making friends with the terminal.

Um.......riiiiiiggghhhhht! It would have been nice if they backed up their statement by naming these "many applications", but of course, they don't. I would put nmap on the list, but this is the type garbage that the uninformed buy into. :flush:

Now for an OT reply:

We have a 400Mhz G3 iMac with 512MB of RAM running OS X 10.3.7 and it works great. Panther runs pretty damn snappy on the slower G3s...not as snappy as my dual processor G5, but pretty damn snappy. Jaguar (OS X 10.2) was a slug on it. Panther is very slick.

But of course, depending on what you're doing with the machine and how much RAM you have, your milage may vary. I wouldn't recommend encoding video on a G3 iMac, but as a general purpose computer, it's good start.

If the one you're looking at is a 700Mhz, then you're even better off. Definately max out the RAM on it. The iMacs have two RAM slots, so you can put two 512MB sticks.

As for the Mac mini, if you have the extra $$$ you might look at that as well. We just got one last weekend (the 1.42Ghz/80GB one) that we're using as a headless music server. It comes with lots of software and came with the new release of the iLife suite, which was a great bonus. It's a great little (and I mean LITTLE) machine. There is a great comparion to the Mac Mini and comperable Dell systems HERE.

Once you add up what the Dell DOESN'T come with, it's not such a bargain to bring it up to spec with the Mac mini.

But even at $350 for the G3, that's a nice machine. I'd say go for it if you don't have the $$$ for the mini.

Off-Topic

Well I just got a G4 1.25Ghz iBook with 768MB RAM and it owns :). I am currently installing fink so I can get my x11 apps installed easily :). In fact installing ethereal as I type. I am loving this machine. Simple installation of software and a beautiful GUI. It will also play most of the video games I like. Good bye XP :). Anyway, main reason for the post is to ask what IRC client do you other mac junkies suggest? My boss (avid mac activist) suggested Conversation but also says he doesn't use IRC. I am only going to use it for the binrev room so it's not too big of a deal but Conversation doesn't allow me to change the background and text colors, or at least not that I can find. So, what are my options and in your opinions which is the best? I googled, but didn't find one that stuck out above another.

Sekel: I used Conversation for a while and it's OK. I'm still using Jaguar on my TiBook :blush: (I know, I know), so I've been stuck with v1.3, though I noticed just a minute ago that there's an upgrade to 1.42. You're using Panther so you won't have any trouble with the latest version. One feature I liked was that I could set it to speak the conversation as it was going on. This way I could be doing other things (like playing with Asterisk at the time, if I remember right) and still keep tabs on the channel.

Another alternative is Colloquy. I've been using it on and off for a few months. I like it's connection manager. It's not as feature-rich as Conversation, but I've had no problems with it. For some reason there are some servers to which I could not connect using Conversation. I know it makes no sense, but I didn't have a bit of trouble using other clients.

Like I said, lately I've been alternating between Colloquy and BitchX, but usually just Colloquy. I use BitchX every once in a while just so I remember the command line commands. I got BitchX to compile and run with no problems. Try them all and pick what you like...

logan5: I did check out the mac-sucks.com site. I'm waiting to see if the guy actually posts my feedback. I doubt it, since it actually reflects real data. I can't get over what passes for "evidence." I love the quote you dropped in. The majority of non-Apple installations of apps I've done have been as simple as "drag this icon into your Applications folder." To "uninstall" you drag it to the trash. At worst you end up with a dead plist file in your preferences directory. Better than tons of DLLs that you don't know what they belong to anymore. If you hate Apple and their products because you have a personal vendetta against Jobs or the company, that's fine. You're entitled to your opinion, whether I understand it or not. But don't feed me bullshit like this when you've never used OS X before, and when I've used both that and every Windows that has ever been released.

PF

Edited by pixelFiend

Well, im not for apple at all. Hate their ipods, computers, and how everything they have starts with I.

The sound like such selfish pricks!

Sekel: I don't IRC much...almost never actually, but when I have, I've used Snak. I've used it a few times and it does allow the changing of background and text colors. Seemed pretty easy to use and configure, but I can't compare it to anything else since it's all I've used.

PF: Yeah, I sent that site some feedback too. Doubt he'll post it, since I more or less called him out on not backing up his claims with any facts. It's painfully clear that anyone who spouts crap like that has no clue what it is they are ranting about.

On his "Reasons Not To Switch" page, he has:

The difference between a pc based on Windows crashing and a Mac is that on the pc the crash is in 99% of the cases caused by badly coded third party software, when the Mac just has a faulty operating system. Why else would Apple themselves run their india website on Linux RedHat?

Yet, if you click the link to the Netcraft reoprt he posts, this is wht you get:

http://www.apple.co.in was running Apache on MacOSX when last queried at 28-Jan-2005 18:06:25 GMT - refresh now Site Report

I informed him of this as well. :roll:

i know... a good part of the cost of the mac is the asthetic stuff they put on.. the plastic case and lights and stuff, like with the titanium g5. The operating system is pretty crap as well.

The operating system is pretty crap as well.

Why do you think it's crappy?

i've never had a problem with OS X and have yet to find something it can't do....

ok guys, we are in the nubie forum and I just wanna remind you all of that, this thread is not supposed to be a flame chuck between promac and antimac.

I have to add that the system you're looking at seems kind of old, don't expect to run anything uberfast if you get it.

The operating system is pretty crap as well.

Why do you think it's crappy?

i've never had a problem with OS X and have yet to find something it can't do....

I think it doesn't give as much control over the computer itself as i might want, but that's just my opinion...

I have sad news. I did not win the imac. The final price was 450 something. And I wasn't paying that much. However, there is good news. I have ben the recipient of some money from a relative... My Dad, actually. He thinks the mac is a bad idea, but he says that it's my life, so he said I can have a grand now, or 2 grand on the first. With the caveot of it being a one time deal. I can't save any money (ie get the remainder as cash). So this thing has to last at least 5 years. Kind of a bribe for school, lol. Ok, I am looking at 12 inch notebooks. Ibook, or Powerbook? I will not be playng games, But will be doing unix work, and maybe burning dvds... But is the powerbook worth the premium? I'd rather get the portable, because that way I can take it to classes with me. Ideas, opinions? How much Ram will be sufficient?

Edited by Xeys

Well I have the iBook 12 inch with 768 RAM. Haven't run into problems yet, but only had it a week <g>. I do love the battery life and the sleep feature. Current uptime thanks to the sleep feature is 4 days 10 mins. No problems or slow down in the overall operation and its not too heavy to carry to three different classes in two different buildings.