Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StankDawg

ATTN: Hosting problems

8 posts in this topic

the wonderful hosting company ignored my ticket that has been open all day, so I finally got aalive person on the phone and refused to hang up until they fixed it. I told them exactly what the problem was, and they eventually fixed it.

I think it goes without saying that due to all of the recent problem acessing the site, and the frequent errors, that I am looking for a new hosting company. POWWEB looks good, but I was reading in their forums that they have problems with forums because the have too many database reads which they limit. :(

Sorry for the down time. But at least we are back up for the weekend with no data loss! (I back the site up frequently anyway, so we should seldom lose posts, even when I switch hosting companies).

the combination of the latest MYSQL upgrade and the forums is causing an intermittent error. So problem #1 was fixed, but there may be other problems until they get it corrected at MYSQL. :(

heh I know how to cause std mysql to do that error too.. I saw it and I kinda laughed.... no offense ment. But it made me :cry: to see it offline :/

Before I started hosting my own stuff I was with penguinhosting.net.

Last I knew they ran Slackware on their servers.

$10 a month and no setup fee. Unlimited space & bandwidth. You can have Mysql access if you request it.

The reason they can offer unlimted space and bandwidth is that they drop customers who abuse it. I ran a site that had about the same usage as this one and I was fine.

Just as long as you don't have and 80gig site with over 1gig of bandwidth used daily you would be fine.

I had good service when I was with them. That was about a year ago.

Just thought I would put them in the ring. $10 for all that you get isn't bad at all.

If you sign up you have to mention that you want to host you're domain name with them... unless you are just hosting the forums there or something.

---------

For only $10/month, our basic web account includes:

• FTP and SFTP access to your data

• 128-bit secure web space at

https://secure.penguinhosting.net/~yourname/

• CGI (PERL and Python) and PHP execution access

• Server-Side Include (SSI) access

• MySQL database access (on request)

• PostgreSQL database access (on request)

Activewebhosting has most of that, and Active WebHosting has more in the way of client consumer relations when it comes to "hacker sites".. I know this becouse me and the server admin are tyte, the prices are the same, AND if your a customer when your fees for your domain come around, they pay it for you free of charge, and if you request something like a perl modual or such they usualy install it for you, depending on how nice you are.. unlimited pop3 email addys at your domain would let you give them out stank, I havent had any problems with mine, you should check it out.. http://www.activewebhosting.com , use that refferal id "pimplinux.com" ;)

i've heard only good things about phpwebhosting.com

but it sounds like white raven's giving you the hook up there stank so go for it :)

weird how a LOT of people I know have been changing web hosts in the past few weeks (myself included). must be the "spring cleaning" mood or something.

good luck! :monk: