matt

windows > linux

27 posts in this topic

I was wondering, if I have been on nothing but windows for a pretty good while, how hard would it be for me to transfer to linux? go from windows to linux. Just wondering, and can I run it on a normal PC?

(I bet by the title you thought I was saying "windows is greater than linux" haha but nope I know linux is better for several reasons but never used one)

yes, it can be setup on a normal PC. some things will take some tweaking to get to run, but thats expected. it shouldnt be too hard, but i know i was used to a lot of Windows applications when i changed over, and that was the hardest thing. finding similar apps.

edit: there are a few cool linux links on my site i'd suggest you check out too

Edited by riscphree

i would suggest obtaining a copy of knoppix live cd, and boot it off of the cdrom. that will let you play with linux before you are ready to choose your flavor of linux.

you could also check out Winix (shameless plug) and use linux from windows.

for the most part, linux is easy, but it is also a bit of an adventure getting everything that you want working like you want. i wouldn't let that bother you though, linux offers great documentation, and forums with people willing to help.

the only "hard" part is learning the differences, you and most everyone is so used to the messed up and broken ways of windows that learning things that actually make sense can be a little difficult :P

also if you got some money, Linux in a nutshell saves you time and lots of questions

as for books, i found brian ward's 'how linux works' to be a good reference, but not as good as the man pages.

I've been using windows as my main OS since Win 3.1 and I just recently did the full tiime switch to linux. The first day I was kind of confused about some stuff but I am getting used to it very quickly and have no intentions of going back to windows.

Also the idea of using a live cd like Knoppix is pretty good so I would deffinatly explore that idea first.

A lot of my experience with learning linux is like repeatedly banging your head into a wall but really enjoying it. It's all I use here at the office; it can definitely be difficult and frustrating at first, but so long as you don't let yourself get angry at it, you'll be fine.

man I wish we used linux at work instead of the Win2k net on crappy ass old boxes.

using linux for the first time is like having sex for the first time....Your kinda confused not sure whats going on but eventually you get it and the more you do it the easier it gets and if you get confused theres always someone there to hlep. LOL dont know if thats the best comparison but certianly one of the funnier.

using linux for the first time is like having sex for the first time....Your kinda confused not sure whats going on but eventually you get it and the more you do it the easier it gets and if you get confused theres always someone there to hlep. LOL dont know if thats the best comparison but certianly one of the funnier.

so I'm gonna have a bunch of fun with linux, then one day it's going to leave me and I won't get to use it again for like 2-3 years when I finally coax another distro into the sack?

ok now thats just looking a little bit to deep in to my analogy.

you can't play games with it can you?

you can but its a bit more difficult if its not a "native" linux game.

like i belive ut2004 works only if you run it with cedega. doom does have a linux client and HL2 also runs on cedega.

natively i know there are a few more popular games that will work out of the box. a lot of windows games you can use Winex (or now called Cedega) to play. its just a DirectX emulator for the most part. there are some really cool linux games as well .. not too many though.

Planeshift is a OSS MMORPG that runs well on linux. I've played it..very fun.

I have been on windows all my life, and now im getting another HardDrive and putting LinuxSuSE Pro 9.0 on it. Not sure if im going to use it all the time, but i have tryed it before and liked it.

Do you think SuSE is good for begginers or something else like Redhat? I found SuSE good to get around, i know where all my stuff is.

I recommend Mandrake for beginners. Please stay away from Gentoo.

For a good rescue book, "Linux In A Nutshell," If you ever see a command you don't know, you can look it up, It saved me so many times when I started. I started on slackware so I had to learn fast, its only been three quarters of a year since I switched completly. You will get the hang of it if you put your mind to it. I would say start on what ever you want, http://distrowatch.com/ can help you decide. I personally don't like mandrake because it seems to much like windows to me (theres just something about it).

don't be afraid of manpages/forums/irc either

and yes matt, you can play lots of games, I've played cs, ut, et, rtcw, mp2 ..uh...probably a few others

you can but its a bit more difficult if its not a "native" linux game.

like i belive ut2004 works only if you run it with cedega. doom does have a linux client and HL2 also runs on cedega.

ut2k4 has native binaries on the cd, in all the boxed versions, look at your box, tux is on it :P

I recommend Mandrake for beginners. Please stay away from Gentoo.

i agree to an extent, i used mandrake and if you really want to LEARN linux not just use it, go with a less windows-esque flavor, i mean dont get me wrong its a good linux if you wanna use linux but not if you wanna learn linux, it will just get you used to it you wont know anything about installing software because you will depend on RPMs and precompiled binaries, in fact i suggest gentoo, because it gets you right in there, but not gentoo persay, check out vida linux, http://desktop.vidalinux.com ive been using it at the suggestion of a friend of mine and its great, the power and ability of gentoo with a cake installer, i mean its cake, if you can install mandrake you can install vida, give it a shot :D good luck!

now i havent read the whole thread coz well i cant be assesd but

1) fuck yeah its like having sex for the first time lol

2) what is a normal PC ?

3) mandrake is good rather unstable tho (well what do you expect from the french hehhe j/k)

4) depending on how much you wanna learn your new found OS..... if your real keen then find somin grass roots eg SLACK!!! (sorry im a pengin nazi hehe) or shop around for somin like suse gentoo etc.. i started on SuSe witch i loved but i allways wanted to dig a bit deeper and shit i bin on the side of slack for years but i belive i dont know that much about it :)...

but hay tis all about getting your learn on =:-)

I'd stay away from vida linux, one of gentoo's strongest points is it's large, anti-rtfm community, vida linux barely has a community at all, and if you come to the gentoo forums or #gentoo and ask for help with vida you will be ignored, mixing distros is not a good thing.

Some guy just yesterday was trying to get portage to work on Suse, he said #suse ignores him if he isn't talking about .rpm and everyone in #gentoo just told him to install regular gentoo :P

I remember hearing somewhere there's supposed to be a port of Doom 3 to Linux.

I remember my first attempt at going Linux full-time was with Slackware...the CD I got in this book had a version of the original Doom in ASCII. It used all the ASCII characters to attempt to recreate what a regular Doom screen would look like as you played. MAJOR headache trying to figure the thing out, but still a fun little toy.

The Abstruse One