Taeweas

Websense

37 posts in this topic

At my school we have websense, no big deal right? wrong, either this is a newer version or just a mod on ours. You can go NOWHERE, Binrev is exception ^_^ but thats about it. yahoo, amazon, EVERYTHING. But thats not what this is about. I cannot find this POS program anywhere on the comp, not in the files or anything. Even when i try to use a proxy server the classic block screen comes up that says "The category "Proxy Avoidance" is filtered". These are all computers on one network. Is this maybe controlled through the admins comp? its so annoying, damn you websense!

you could use a CGI-proxy setup up your own at home like I do to bypass our schools filters.

Edited by specter

you could use a CGI-proxy setup up your own at home like I do to bypass our schools filters.

Boom the answer right there. Self-hosted web-based proxies provide the best solution.

Websense also filters by keywords, so make sure not to have the word "proxy" in the URL you set for yourself when setting up the servers.

Here's the URL to a good one (with a functioning demo):

http://www.jmarshall.com/tools/cgiproxy/

If this is a college, throw a huge hissy fit. YOU are paying for this connection with your tuition. Their filters are hindering your access to information you need to do research for your classes. If you raise enough hell (politically speaking), you have a good chance of getting people on your side ("censorship" is a nice buzzword to use) and getting some changes made.

If you're in high school, though, you're kinda screwed. You're "just a kid" and aren't able to make any decisions for yourself. You can try several protests, but honestly it won't do any good unless you can get a good deal of the parents upset as well. With the current political climate, that's not as likely to happen with 30-somethings afraid of anthrax in their mail as it is with kids in their late-teen and early-20s.

The Abstruse One

Can't you get rid of this problem by booting up a live CD? Or did they put a lock on the CD-R? My library does that. lol! It's fucking crazy.

in a nearby institution, we had the ability to install content filtering software, much like you are describing. it is not on any of the client computers, it is hosted on the district servers, which is where our connection comes from. we have the ability to administer the software, but it is something the clients cant get to or through (so far) unless they use a proxy. this is probably what you have to deal with in your situation.

Whats a CGI proxy? only familiar with like anonymizer and stuff.....

But I think it reads off the top of the page, like "The Digital Dawg House ________"

Whats a CGI proxy?
This CGI script acts as an HTTP or FTP proxy. Through it, you can retrieve any resource that is accessible from the server it runs on. This is useful when your own access is limited, but you can reach a server that in turn can reach others that you can't. In addition, the user is kept as anonymous as possible from any servers. Common uses include: anonymous proxies similar to The Anonymizer, other personal uses, VPN-like functionality, and others. It's very simple to install, and very configurable
Edited by specter

It's more of a script.

I'm currently testing out a PHP proxy through my servers... PM me if you want the details.

Edited by Seal

edited, same post slow server, impatient user.

Edited by 10nix

try typing in the URL of the proxy....this works at my school and we have Websence AND Sentian running!!!

try....

https://www.proxyweb.net/---www.siteyouneed.com/

NOTE THE HTTPS!!!!

this works most of the time but sometimes it says it cant find the file or something...and its slower....in my school everyone gets a drive that they can log on to from any computer. Try downloadin Firefox and installin directly onto your drive. Then you can open it from anywhere and just change the proxy settings from there since your school probably blocked it from IE :)

lol yea- well my school blocked mozilla.org !!!!! Mircorost and Windows HOEZ!!!

but yea- there is a portable version of firefox and thunderbird (email).. they are awesome.. could run on as small as a 32mb Flash Drive I think!!!

Someone posted this a few days ago, but if you go to Google and type this into the search box:

"start using cgiproxy" inurl:nph-proxy.cgi

...you'll find lots of pre-installed CGIProxy scripts for use.

Im not sure where I read this method, i think it was in a 2600 issue. But any ways Ive once read about this guy explaining how he was some system managers and he could was able to bypass the proxy by getting the IP of the desired web site he wanted to view and convert the IP into binary form and input in his web browser and he could view everything and anything.

Im not saying this method works but it supposedly work for that dude. Im just saying try it, what do you got to loose? Or fuck go with a proxy.

yea i heard that too-- thoight it was on these forums tho.. hmm

I've heard of that too. You can also use other number systems such as Hex. I haven't tested it though.

Ok im gonna try this next time im in my "ITM" class where we just learn pointless shit on macs, for example, yesterday we did 2 pages of a restaraunt menu and we get 1 hour and 40 mins to do it.........yeah it took like 15 mins.

Anyways I thought it was interesting while looking in the syllabus (spelled right?) that one of the rules was "No computer hacking of any kind is accepted"

Here is info I have posted before on this same topic:

try converting the URL IP to binary:

use http://networking.ringofsaturn.com/IP/bindec.php

or the scientific calculator on your windows system

or learn your TCP/IP math each octet is 8 bit (2 to the 8th power = 256)

128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1 added together = 255 (ip octet 0-255 = 256 possiblities)

put a 0 or 1 in each place depending if you need the value added in to equal the value of the octet

www.myspace.com = 69.89.74.24

69.89.74.24 = 01000101 01011001 01001010 00011000 (enter this w/o spaces)

01000101010110010100101000011000 = 1163479576 (the 32bit IP converted to decimal should also work)

This demonstrates each 8 bit IP octet converted to one 32 bit binary number then converting the 32 bit binary number to a single decimal number. Most browsers support these formats in the URL address window and this defeats most web filters. If more than one domain is assigned to a single IP address then it won't work the way you want it to, but still may get you around the filter. In my experience I have two win 2000 boxes with latest version of IE and binary or straight decimal addresses do not always work, my laptop w/ XP always works with binary or a straight decimal number, and my solaris 8 for Intel box with netscape always works also. They are all going through the same router I just dont know why IE on Win2K is not working.

Firefox works.

good resource http://www.telusplanet.net/public/sparkman/netcalc.htm

Last year when I was in high school, I encountered Websense every day. They blocked tons of stuff, including a poem I needed for english class, and my computer teacher's website hosted at mac.com. There are a few ways I got around it, both mentioned here. The first method I used was pinging the web address and getting the IP address. Sometimes it worked, even without the hex conversion. The other method I used was an https proxy.

Websense doesn't filter port 443(https). (Not sure if this was only true for https:// sites or if its for port 443.) Bottom line, you could visit any secure website you wanted. This means either use a proxy that is https, or host your own at home and use SSL. I'm not sure if the connection needs to be encrypted to avoid websense, I don't think I ever visited a website on port 443 that wasn't SSL. You might also want to try port 81 or any other port for that matter when you make your proxy.

If websense is only set up on port 80 like I imagine, then using a proxy on a non-80 port # will not allow websense to log the proxy you use as an unknown site for future review.

forgot to mention, i don't know if it does the same at your school, but at my school when a blocked page came up, it gave the address http://10.0.0.13/blockpage or something similar. Seems like that is the IP address of the websense server, maybe do a port scan? There is a remote administration tool for websense, I forget the port it uses but the info along with the client was available at the websense website a year ago.

They have the macs setup where if your not the admin, you cant use bash shell <_<<_<<_<<_<<_<<_<