01dsk001

Found this

13 posts in this topic

DSC00152.jpg

I found this going through some old software at work. The box contains the manual the "Getting Started" book and an unopened envelope of 5.25" floppies.

I know what I will do with it (install it and play with it till it breaks). My question is, what would you do with it?

I posted this here in hopes of garnering information on what value, aside from general knowledge, I can get from playing with dos 5.0. If you feel this is in the wrong place feel free to move it.

i would do this -

1 - copy the files, and make backups.

2 - scan the entire manual, and make it into a .pdf or something.

3 - share it with my fellow man.

old stuff is hard to find, and it's always a good idea to preserve it.

I should do that with IBM PC-DOS 3.3 which I have lying around here somewhere...

I have already made back-ups of the disks. I will scan the manuals this weekend, if I get a chance.

Edited by 01dsk001

a while back I couldn't find my copy of "Unix in a Nutshell" but for some reason I kept finding old DOS manuals and user guides. I don't recall ever buying such books but they kept popping up, I think I have something like four or five of these books laying around somewhere. Someday I will get bored enough to scan them maybe, but I'm rather certain that there are plenty of copies of these books available to the public on the net.

Donate them to a museum and get FreeDOS ;). Just kidding, I might install it on an old system just to jack around with.

Knowing me, I would show it to my best friend. We would sit around and talk about all the stuff that we used to do when we ran it in "the old days". We would then hatch some elaborate plot of doing some hella cool project with it, talk it up for a week or two and then eventually loose it my office again. Then months or years later cycle would start again when one of us would say "Remeber when I/you found that old copy of DOS? We should [insert scheme here] with it!"

I am so lazy, I would cry, but I don't want to put out the effort.

i wonder what version of dos i got running on my old 386.

i would save it, then i would look on a price guide to see if it had any collector value and then sell it on eBay if it did.

SHIT 5.1/4's i havent sen tho's fuckers in years hehehe i think i still have a drve to read'em and a software in the atacic

gonna go hunt now :D

COOL!...............