Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zraith

Defragmenting?

11 posts in this topic

I was wondering if there were any 'Defragmenting'(Windows) Utilities in *nix, if so how do I use them or implement them....

Also, what exactly does 'makedb' do?(sorry to bother you, i dont have acces to a linux box.... sorry)

Thanks Ahead of Time...

Unlike crappy windows filesystems, linux and other *nix filesystems like ext2, ext3, reiser, xfs and others don't get fragmented enough to need a program for defragementation

In all *nix file systems, none ever get fragmented enough to have a program to "reorganize".

But there is in fact one, dont know where it is but t exists, although it warns you befor you download it, because it could mess up your box.

BTW, *nix systems, i beleive take a little extra time to but back what it used.

i hope this helps.

I've never heard this about Unix file systems before. Can you cite sources that back this up? All file systems get fragmented unless they explicitly have code that deals with it.

I've always thought that fragmentation wasn't as much of a problem as people made it out to be and that was why there were no Unix defrag utilities (or I should say there are few Unix defrag utilities).

Im not sure about where to go about getting some offical sources (seeing as how google failed me)

but I do know my 80gig hd which im always writting large, small and other warez to always hovers at about

.9% fragmentation.

It's true. This is common knowledge among most nix users. Fragmentation on a typical nix disk is little to none, no matter how much fs activity occurs.

Reason being is, the major fs (ext2/3, xfs, reiser, etc) all include extra code to keep fragmentation reduced, even in very full file systems.

Check google if you are still in disbelief. :)

ntheory asked for documentation, and you guys just said "it's true." Why just ignore his question while (ignorantly) saying "it's true."

Check google if you are still in disbelief. :)

To quote myself.

and still you have cited no sources, you seem a bit too full of yourself there :pirate: