obfuscated

Linux Samba and Windows Xp

11 posts in this topic

I'm trying to setup Samba Server on linux (Slackware) and a Windows Client. I'm having problems with getting them to talk to each other. Can someone direct me to a guide that they have used in the past. And yes i've googled. If it helps i'm using a router.

Thanks for any help.

Official Samba Howto

I have not setup Samba properly yet, because I like ssh better and I hear Samba is insecure. I have used ksambaplugin to set it up and smb4k to access shares. Of course this is assuming your using KDE.

I emailed you today about this very subject cause i heard you talking about it on your show. Anyhow, if you need a long winded explanation or are just having some configuration issues, just let me know exactly what the problem is and ill give you all the help i can provide.

I found Idealx to be very helpful with Samba PDC, they have integrated Samba+LDAP with LDAP authentication. I'm currently setting up my network with this. So far I have LDAP work perfectly but a little bit of trouble getting my roaming profiles to work properly and TLS not yet configure. Taking it one day at a time.

http://www.idealx.org/prj/samba/smbldap-howto.en.html

all i can really say dude is after a few hours of learning an playing with the setup and tweeking all i got outta samba was the being able to see my slack box in the win share's but neva got as far as being able to send files or copy stuff form my linux boxes, but saying that samba is still a learn i progress for me so if you wanna swap ideas it may help...

grab me in IRC or somin one of my boxes is all ways loged in to Esper.net #binrev

ok dude my advice is read all the tutorials

and then just have a go doing it i could not get it going useing any how-tos when i set up my server with slackware tried it with out a tutorial and it worked

mind you i think it only worked by accident

have fun

yeah things are all good when i finally got down it it had it up in a few min's witch was cool just have a few prob's with permissions withc wont take 5 min :-) thanks for the help anyway guys

me and my big frikken mouth lol

i go and tell the poor guy that you dont need the how to's to set it up

i got another pc today thougth i would set up slackware on it and run samba

good idea in theroy but now i am going to have to read the guides myself cuz i cant login to the server lol got tomorrow off work so it will give me something to do

:cuss:

if anyone else has probs with this i say to them to put a line in /etc/inetd.conf

#Samba Web Administration Tool:

swat stream tcp nowait.400 root /usr/sbin/swat swat

send it the -HUP signal and point your bowser to localhost:901 i found swat made it easer to see what had to be set up

I know you have already solved your problem, but here is a dead easy way of doing it:

Open up X with Gnome running.

Browse to the folder you want to share.

In the properties there is a way to share it. This auto-edits the samba config file and restarts samba, without any CLI at all.

Note: Works in Mandrake 10.1, may need a certain plugin or addon, but it worked using a default install for me.

Sometimes a gui way is the right way to go. Sure beats adding half a dozen lines to smb.conf