Scheda

Hacking your aesthetics

33 posts in this topic

So mods to your box/keyboard/mouse/random objects. Does anyone here really mod anything? I've always thought it was an awesome idea, and now I'm gonna be doing what is turning out to be a somewhat heavy duty keyboard mod. I have an old typewriter. Big, klunky, heavy and green. I'm turning it into a keyboard. I will post the pictures of how it goes here. I have a few pics from tonight, I started taking it apart tonight. Here is the keyboard I'm using taken apart, the typewriter both opened and closed.

keyboard.JPG

type.JPG

inside1.JPG

inside2.JPG

And here, I am sad because I cut the power cord off... so more using the typewriter after that.... I cryed.

sad.JPG

Edited by Scheda

How bout fitting a whole computer in there? Looks like you could almost have enough room :D

Dremels scare me, so the mods I stick to are of the non-make-your-own-case kind. I've incorporated a cheap digital camera into the siding of the interior of one of my case walls, giving me a good lit (thanks to cold cathode ray lighting) view of my CPU live at any time from my monitor.

Edited by Seal

it will look like that keyboard that the PI from the animatrix uses (some one post a pic if they got it)

to talk to REDQUEEN.

Edited by specter

I've never seen the animatrix, so I wouldn't know. But if anyone has anything mod-like for anything, post some pics. That can be a mod of ANYTHING by the way. A mod thread that we could all participate in would rock.

I have seen great type writer to keyboard mod some guy did for his chick cause she loved her typewriter sorry I am drunk anyway I would love to see some mods from the people on the boards . I will post mine when I get home (am out drinking for my birthday even though it was yesturday...thanks for the happy bday me thread ) it would be fun to see what every one is doing with what hardware they have.

the keyboard/typewriter the detective in the animatix use look something like this

underwood0003L.jpg

but with out the massive hunk of metal on top

EDIT: heres a actual pic from the animatrix

Animatrix_1.png

Edited by specter

most insane case mod i've ever done is the "i-crak". Basically, I took an old NEC monitor with integrated speakers, and duct-taped a motherboard mounted to a piece of cardboard to the top, and duct taped the power supply to the back. It was a k6-2 550 i think with 128m of ram, if i remember. It wasnt a bad half-life box :D

I think mods are cool and all, but I tend to avoid them personally because I like to attempt to look as non-descript as possible...or at least as non-suspicious. Walking around with a laptop colored as urban camo with the words "HACK THIS" branded into the casing tend to draw people's attention when you're trying to get into the wireless network at that cell phone store next door to Starbucks.

Then again, I'm probably just saying that because I'm jealous of anyone with artistic talent :P

The Abstruse One

Haha, yeah, you do have a point, but I still like for my shit to look cool. I wanted to do some laptop mods a while back since it was the only computer I had, but I was too scared I'd fuck it up. So I just threw some stickers on it. But yeah, Seal mentioned fitting an entire computer in there. Yeah, it's possible, grab a mini-itx and work from there, I could fit on in with almost no problem I think. Money is the only problem... It would take me a while to get all the parts I want, cause if I'm gonna build my own computer, I'm gonna make it nice ;) But anyway, so yeah, I'll look into the computer thing, but I haven't decided yet.

I've never modded anything, but it sounds like a nice thing! BTW: What the fuck does it mean!?

It means "modify"

i just moded my robosapien with 5200 mcd of high intensity LED. drilled holes in the front, mounted a secondary battery box in the chest as not to fry the cpu. mounted a switch on the back to turn the lights on/off. next up is a switch mounted symetrically to the 1st one to cut out the speaker for silent use.

i pretty much ran out of space inside of it to add things, so any furthe mods will have to be 'backpack' mounted.

ive also done some pretty mods to x-boxes, mostly leds, chips, top mounted fans, etc.

god i love to solder.

Yeah, I bought myself a Dremel today. Never really used one, but I plan on having extensive use soon. I'm gonna get myself a cheapo optical mouse and mod that soon. Maybe put a window in it and put something odd inside and add an LED. I've seena few mods as such, and thought it was really cool, so I may do that soon. But seriously, anything we have modded whether that be your box, your cell, or your face, post some pics. That'd be awesome. I did a little more to the typewriter today, just took out the parts, so it's an empty case now. I want to preserve the roller and the knobs on the side, so I may get some plexiglass and mount it inside once I'm done. I'm seriously thinking about turning it into a whole computer. That would be pretty neato.

EDIT: I also noticed today that my keyboard isn't going to work very well, so I'm going to buy a mini-keyboard and mount that in there.

Edited by Scheda

Scheda are their any books you would recomend i read on basic electronics!? Like stuff that teaches electricity, the building blocks of electronics,etc.. I always wanted to make my own gadgets! :D

Edited by latiffs

To be honest, I have no idea. Anything I've learned about the workings of electronics (the electric part and all), I've learned from other people, mostly from my dad. But I'd check out Amazon and Google. I have to finish editing this weeks episode of UnderFire Radio, but afterwards I'll look into some stuff for you.

One way to learn is to go to Radio Shack and pick up one of those little assembly kits for kids. Sure, they're just for kids, but if you took an electronics class in college, your first or second project will probably be making a homemade FM radio just like the one from the kit. You can pick up a lot of knowlege by playing with those things. You can also search the web and see if you can find any easy plans or intro books.

The Abstruse One

I'm working on a mod right now, and it was inspired by Pink Floyd's the wall.

Its hard to describe and not yet done, so you'll just have to wait and speculate.

It was a 1/2 AT case and the system is full ATX. That is a challenge, but it all fits. Sort of.

I had to hack the floppy drive to be rear access, and all the ports on the motherboard point to the top of the case, with extension cables running the connectors to the IO ports.

Make sure to get us some pictures when you're done, I'd love to see it.

The book looks nice, but i got no money. :lol: I just got some ebook with a google search. The book is named "Teach yourself electricity and electronics". It's pretty good.

Here is my xbox that I modded. These are pretty easy to do and allow ur $150 machine wonderfull home entertainment potential. I too am working on an optical mouse mod as seen on hack-a-day. Perhaps I can post if I ever get it done.

Very cool exept one thing I noticed was in the tutorial you wrote do not use cd-r and that isn't all true. It is true most won't read cd-r but mine does the lame part is mine doesn't read dvd+r. I have done a few other installs for some friends and all of those did not read cd-r but did the dvd+r. Anyway here is a little xbox mod for anyone wanting to try the old software exploit but doesn't want to send there box to the xbox linux people or buy one of those action replay mem cards http://regicide666.com/xbmemmod.html.

edit: the pics on that page are hosted on my yahoo acount as I have not moved much of anything from hat server

Edited by regicide666

Well, being that I forgot my typewriter in South Carolina... I can't do that one anymore... but I did happen to find an old non-working NES while trashing one night. So it's sitting here with it's top off glaring at me... Now to decide what to do with it. I was thinking of turning it into a computer, and I see many have done so already, but I'm a poor man...sorta. Well, I really have no reason not to, but I'm leaning towards doing something else, just not sure what that is yet. Help me with some ideas. I see someone made one into a DVD player, that'd be cool, not sure what I want to do though.

It means "modify"

i just moded my robosapien with 5200 mcd of high intensity LED. drilled holes in the front, mounted a secondary battery box in the chest as not to fry the cpu. mounted a switch on the back to turn the lights on/off. next up is a switch mounted symetrically to the 1st one to cut out the speaker for silent use.

i pretty much ran out of space inside of it to add things, so any furthe mods will have to be 'backpack' mounted.

ive also done some pretty mods to x-boxes, mostly leds, chips, top mounted fans, etc.

god i love to solder.

In your opinion how hard was soddering the mod chip into the xbox and what one did you use?

I have an extra (second) xbox in my room right now, that I have been planning on modding for some time but do to lack of money havent yet. Having read alot about how the oil from our hands is enough to damage the xbox's mobo as microsoft took a cheap approach to making it scares me and makes me want to pay someone else to mod it. Plus I have never done any dificult soldering.