Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Taeweas

wireless

31 posts in this topic

Ok, say you are tryin to see other peoples networks around your vacinity (is that spelled right?) but you dont have your laptop on ya and the only thing you have are a wireless network of your own, 1 router one receiver and one computer, suggestions? (someone give me a laptop please :P

If you're not picking anything up on your desktop where it is, you could try moving it to different spots around the house. Beyond getting a VERY long extention cord or draining your car battery by hooking it up through the cigarette lighter with an adapter, that's about all you can do with a desktop. If you're over 18, you might want to look into getting credit through Dell or some other computer maker, buying a laptop from them. If you don't want to pay for an expensive laptop, just use it until your 30 day period runs out and return it. But make SURE you call BEFORE 30 days from the ship date or you're stuck with it. Read the fine print carefully.

The Abstruse One

sounds like a plan, but could you pick up another channel with sitting at a desk with a single receiver?

it all comes down to signal strength and the power of your antenna. You can construct a "cantenna" rather simply that will work as a direction antenna and help you try to find networks. I am able to get about 3 hits with a cantenna sticking it outside my basement window. just google "cantenna" for details.

Hmm you have had luck with a can antenna bizurke? Im still looking for a nice big high gain wifi antenna that i can setup on my chimeney :grr:

Hmm you have had luck with a can antenna bizurke? Im still looking for a nice big high gain wifi antenna that i can setup on my chimeney :grr:

I've heard from a friend of mine that is rather smart with signals that an old Primestar satelite dish (has to be primestar) can be converted into a 98db directional. You'll have the FCC all up in your anus for it though, lol. I'll try to get him to give me the specifics next time I see him.

Wow really? I never thought you could actually do thing with old satellites... I would greatly appreciate some info on that.

i took a slightly more sophisticated version of a cantenna and mounted it on an old direct tv dish. it sure as hell doesnt have the gain that your friends does, roughly what was described in the link (little bit more actually) but with one of those antenna rotating setups, i can wardrive from home, and ive already had one operation to remove the fcc from my ass. i dont need another.

Edited by 10nix

According to my friend it has to be a primestar dish. This area really isn't my specialty so I don't know what's going on.

According to my friend it has to be a primestar dish. This area really isn't my specialty so I don't know what's going on.

you may be right because of the oblong shape of the dish.. but I actually believe it's because primestar was bought out or everyone is throwing them away or easy to find, maybe?

he told me it was something to do with the hardware, I think, I was a dozen beers or so into the night when we had this conversation. I'll get the full scoop from him sooner or later and if it's something pretty fresh I might do a little spot about it on an episode of Underfire.

I'm not an expert on satellites, but I don't think the shape of the dish has anything to do with anything really. The dish simple reflects the signal onto the little thingy that sticks out in the middle so it can pick up a signal easier. It probably has to do with their hardware or protocol on some level, or maybe their signal is just encoded...

The Abstruse One

i know it doesnt have to be a primestar dish, but if he got 96db of gain from the thing, then i would imagine that he used all of the hardware, and not just the reflector. it is possible that the shape of a primestar dish will focus the signal more, but i can afirm that a direct tv dish will work.

Well heres another link for a primestar satellite mod :http://www.trevormarshall.com/biquad.htm

But also in the other link Vooduhal posted the guy talks about FCC regulations and if you use a bigger satellite the more gain you would have, but how would the FCC go about tracking your ass if you had such a satellite with that much gain?

The only reason I care about this is because my neighboor has one of those old sport bar satellites ( you know the big black ones ) and he has it setup on top of his house, but doesnt use it. He is also into Wifi & Radio and I told him about the primestar antenna and he was interested so were probably gunna build something similar to the primestar dish, but im just concerned about the FCC and their bull shit. :(

Edited by SUB-S0NIX

i dont know much about the FCC and their regulations about WiFI antennas and the lot, but why would it matter if you made your own antenna for INFORMATIONAL purposes, ya know wardriving and the like? invasion of privacy? but then the local law enforcements would be on your ass wouldnt they?

Making your own antenna isn't the issue, whatever its use. The FCC regulates what frequencies you can transmit on and at what power levels you can transmit. Hook up a 100W transmitter to something and see what happens. :)

they will be on you so fast that you had better call your lawyer ahead of time. in these matters, fear the fcc. your local cops could care less (unless you jam air fortress, then your in a whole world of hurt)

how long do you think it would take the FCC to find something like that?

See this is what i dont understand .. WHO & WHERE is the FCC? I mean if they can find some one so fast for broad casting something over their regulations, who in the hell is doin the monitoring? I mean do they have people hired in every city with radio equipment? Im lost... :huh:

The FCC has offices around the country, but most of their reports come from citizens. Someone with no life scanning through the FM dial hears a DJ accidentally say "shit" and calls up to bitch about being "offended". That's why there are some pirate radio stations that last for months in smaller areas because no one happens to stumble across them.

The Abstruse One

Most of the time they get involved if someone makes a complaint. For instance, I live near a Fed Ex hub, if I was brodcasting a signal that interfered with the air traffic control radio, they could call the FCC, who would come out, do thier thing and shut me down.

If you don't have a laptop and are just curious about where signals may be coming from you can allways get one of those handheld hotspot scanners and just take a walk around your neighborhood. take a little notebook and make a note when you get a signal, then you can return later when you get a portable device of some kind (laptop or PDA). It's not very high tech but it's better than nothing I guess.

they have branch offices in most major cities, and the fcc regulates through watchdog organizations, and with mobile response teams. to garner their attention, they typically (though not always) need to be acting on a tip or complaint. when i say they'll be there quick i mean within a day or two, but if you are blatantly violating their regs with the amount of gain you use with your transmitter it pretty much will happen.

you know that ''accepts interference, and does not cause any" rule. well a 100 watt unliscensed transmitter is almost gauranteed to interfere with something.

Edited by 10nix

Ok well I understand that part now, but its still a bit sketchy because say if some one is getting interfence or there wireless network cuts out every once in a way because there neighboor happens to use his 2.4 Ghz cordless phone, a regular citizen would not know or how to complain about the problem or hell even know who the FCC was.

And also these watch dog corporations I would sure like to meet some of the people who run these watch dog stations. I mean I live in a calm neighboor hood where you dont see unusual shit like say some guy having a huge tower with many antennas on his roof. I mean if I saw a neighboor with such a setup then I would know theres a guy who is in to radio you know.

Mainly its just to sketchy but hell its not like i have a 100 watt transmitter any ways. :wacko:

ok now, but suppose you have something large like a dual mode amplifyer dirving a 100watt broadcast and a 98db gain antenna.

(not that you, or anyone does, but just say)

you hook it up to connect to WiFi.

you block out every cordless phone within 4 blocks, amongst other things that opperate on that Fq. now Jane Q Public may not go out and call the FCC, but if her phone doesnt work she will usually contact the phone company. they will know that somethings up. even if they don't, then there are amatures that help to regulate in the same kind of fassion that ham opperators are self regulated.