Abstruse

Networking problem

13 posts in this topic

Okay, I recently got a new laptop and want to be able to get on the net with it. However, I just have a $10 hub with my cable modem and cat5 going from the computer in the living room and the one in my room.

Now, my computer is on the ass end of about 50 ft of cat5, and I don't feel like running that much cable again for the laptop. Plus, if I have the laptop plugged into a cable to get on the net, it eliminates most of the reason to have a laptop - mobility. Plus I'd have to add another $5/mo to my cable fill for another IP address.

So here's what I'm wanting to do. I want wires going from the cable modem to the two home computers and a wireless connection for the laptop. What would be the easiest and cheapest method to accomplish this goal?

Facts important to the situation:

A) The laptop and both computers run Windows XP and I can't switch to Linux on any of them because of work-related reasons. I can, however, get a cheap linux box if I need to.

B) I want to keep a wired connection to both desktop systems because a wired connection is more consistantly stable and my roommate and I both do a lot of online gaming.

C) The computer in the living room is a really crappy system meant for an office and probably doesn't have any free PCI slots for new cards.

Ideas I've had so far that I have no idea whether they'd work or not.

1) Simply plug a wireless router into one or the other of the computers and use Windows Internet Connection Sharing to get internet access to the router.

2) Plug the modem into a linux box and use that as a router to split the connection between the three computers, using the hub to split the wires and a wireless router to give the laptop a connection

That's about all the ideas I came up with and I don't even know which ones are feasible. Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks in advance.

The Abstruse One

Just get a wireless router. Most come with 4 ports so you can plug your compuers into it. I don't understand why you would have to pay 5 extra dollars a month for another IP address. If you plug your cable modem into the router it will hand out private IPs to your network.

Wireless means slower internet, wardriver's, and needing more protection and not having internet fully. I would just use the Cat5 all around with the Hub/router. Much faster! It is also easyer to set up.

Wireless means slower internet, wardriver's, and needing more protection and not having internet fully. I would just use the Cat5 all around with the Hub/router. Much faster! It is also easyer to set up.

Umm... I'm not quite sure what you are talking about. With wireless, 1. Yes, you do have to do more to lock it down, but overall if you are not willing to learn how to do this, I think you are in the wrong place. 2. Slower internet!??!? What are you talking about? If you are refering to the fact that 11Mb/s wireless is ~ 1/10th the bandwidth of a 100Mb/s wired port, yes this is true, but fortunately since I know of noone who has a 10Mb/s+ Internet connection at their house, this will not be an issue. Let's say you have 3Mb/s cable service. If if you have 802.11b (11Mb/s), you still have ~4x more bandwidth than your Internet pipe has available. And I'm not even sure what, "and not having internet fully" means.

Overall, it does sound like a wireless router would be the perfect thing for you, but make sure that if you are going to implement the wireless that you understand the security issues involved in, and if you have any questions about securing your wireless, anyone here would be more than happy to point you in the right direction.

I think security through obscurity will be easiest since I live in a podunk little town with a population of about 5,000. If I turn on WAP, that'd be enough to keep anyone out. And if anyone around here's good enough to get through WAP, I'd like to meet them personally :P

But the wireless router itself will still have standard ethernet ports on it to plug my desktops into?

As for speed, I was going to go with 802.11g most likely. And I'm already using roadrunner on the ass-end of 50-100 ft of cat5...how much worse could it really get?

The Abstruse One

Yes the wireless routers will usually have four ports to wire cat5 to. Also, because you only have one laptop, mac address filtering on the router would also help boost up security when coupled with wep.

I think my not being able to use the internet fully he means something like being stuck behind a nat and it acting like a firewall, well ya it kinda sucks, but thats why yuo just set whatever computer yuo want to into a dmz. So you can have ONE computer with direct connection to the internet, and then the rest of it is stuck behind a firewall. I like D-link, usually you can pickup a 802.11b model for about 10 after rebate... check dealnews.com

Just buy a cheap ($40 or so) home router that has both wired and wireless capabilities. For the laptop, buy an Orinoco card.

It's got an integrated wireless card in it already, but I'm planning on upgrading for wardriving...or rather war-sitting-in-the-passenger-seat-while-my-friend-is-driving in my case ^_^;;

The Abstruse One

just get the wifi router, lock that sum-a-ma-bitch down with a wep key and what ever is needed (i dont usually do this so i dont know what else would be needed) then you are set, the only problem would be the nat blocking ports, but you can set them in the router so you can all play your games properly. really this isnt a hard thing to accomplish.

I think security through obscurity will be easiest since I live in a podunk little town with a population of about 5,000. If I turn on WAP, that'd be enough to keep anyone out. And if anyone around here's good enough to get through WAP, I'd like to meet them personally

Hah! Thats what I said! Until I saw 2 dudes walking down my street raiding cable tv boxes wearing 2600 t-shrirt's, I'd say there is atleast 1-10 hackers in a population of 2000 somewhere :P .

Well there are only two other people in my area that I would be worried about, one is a friend who lives across the street and the other lives in another city. Other than that, there are not many people here to be worried about. Too bad really, wouldn't hurt to meet a few others.

Like I said, if there's someone around in my area that knows enough to first find my network, then get through the WAP, then I want to meet them just to hang out. And it's not like my connection's metered or anything.

The Abstruse One