Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scheda

Ethereal

12 posts in this topic

Hey, I'm looking at installing Ethereal to learn about some packet sniffing and such. I was just wondering what everyone's opinions on it is. It looks like it will be a solid program and may serve what needs I would have. I assume this program will retrieve all packets sent, or will I have to specify what type to search for? What do you guys think of it?

Ive had problems with it before with my wireless adapter but they recently put out a new version that fixed it. I personally like the new version they just put out, it fixed some other windows problems ethereal was having as well. :) DO IT might as well you have nothing to lose

This is true. I'm going to go for the linux version so I can start working on transferring all of my little neato burrito tools to Linux, and thus get out of depending on Windows for this. I'll let you know how the compile goes (having some trouble with compiling w/ GCC....don't have all the right things in most cases)

Ethereal is a one of the best open source sniffers out there. You'd be hard pressed to find one with more protocol decoders.

Yeah, or you could go rewrite pcap using pascal and write you're on GUI using cobol, but the obvious question is why? :) Actually, rather than using tcpdump and perl, try ngrep.

Yeah, or you could go rewrite pcap using pascal and write you're on GUI using cobol, but the obvious question is why? :) Actually, rather than using tcpdump and perl, try ngrep.

A X GUI in cobol.. ROTFLMAO.

poe:~# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)
poe:~#ngrep
interface: eth0 (192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0)
Bus error

poe:~# tcpdump
*lots of traffic cut out*

Like I said, tcpdump works better. :D

Nah, not X with Cobol, use Cobol .Net

Now, that's just scary. When the 50 year old programmer decides to move on to new technologies.

Nah, not X with Cobol, use Cobol .Net

Now, that's just scary. When the 50 year old programmer decides to move on to new technologies.

OMFG!

And on top of it thats a microsoft based klunge too. Scary. :wacko:

Back OT:

I suggest reading the ethereal docs before installing it.

I justed downloaded it yesterday and found it kind of confusion, but thats becouse i dont know how to use it. But ootherwire i think it was a good free program for a sniffer.

If you do not wish to install it / have compatibility problems with your OS, there are a number of Live CD’s with it on, include Knoppix.

I have Knoppix STD in my cd case, don't use it that often. I tried to use Kismet in there a few days ago, but I had to set up my wireless card and I had no idea how, so being that I didn't have too much time I didn't look into it. But I think I'll try it out on there in a few days, then if I like it (hopefully I will), I'll install it onto my box.