Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jelliott

VB 6

9 posts in this topic

I want to learn VB 6 and I want to learn Winsock programming but there is no really good source that I'VE found! Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Get down the basics of visual basic, and once you fully understand how to use controls in your code (by learning from more basic such as buttons and text) then simply by reading whats out there and through experimentation on your own, it should be very easy. VB6 is a very simple language to become very proficient in, but it will teach you bad habits ( that personally I am still trying to break =\ )

What problems are you running into?

Edited by n3xg3n

Try hanging around the source code sites (planetsourcecode being a personal favorite) and look at a lot of code, just to see how it works.

I have another question since I'm am new to VB 6 I was experimenting with some code (dont laugh i suck)

Private Sub Enter_Click(Index As Integer)

If User = "hello" & Pass = "World" Then

form2.Show

End Sub

I am trying to make a program that has a lock and there is two Text boxes and one command button. The first textbox is named User and the second one is name d Pass....

any help?

If User.Text = "hello" And Pass.Text = "World" Then
form2.Show
End if
End Sub

the .Text is an object of the text control that when read or written to contains the text of the text box.

Also, it does not really matter, but in vb6, it is traditional to let controls (and quite a few other things) have names that reflect what they are (naming convention) So, instead of User, txtUser; instead of Pass, txtPass; instead of enter, btnEnter (?); which will help when people debug for you...

Hey, i wasnt going to say anything, but I just cant help it... VB=McProgrammer

Save yourself while you still can!!! I recomend yoru only cure is to think of Margret Thatcher on a COLD COLD ICE CODE day until you forget you ever thought of the evil evil evil evil evil evil evil evil evil words... visual... basic...

But seriously do NOT waste your time with this all it is going to do is cause bad habbits and make things harder to understand.

Thanks my 2.333 repeating cents

L0gic

If User.Text = "hello" And Pass.Text = "World" Then
form2.Show
End if
End Sub

the .Text is an object of the text control that when read or written to contains the text of the text box.

Also, it does not really matter, but in vb6, it is traditional to let controls (and quite a few other things) have names that reflect what they are (naming convention) So, instead of User, txtUser; instead of Pass, txtPass; instead of enter, btnEnter (?); which will help when people debug for you...

Thank you so much!

& Logic VB 6 is capable of doing alot of things and it helps you get a good grip on programming... but thanks anyway

I will grant you that VB6 is an office language designed for Rapid Application Development and Deployment, and is less powerful than C or C++, but if someone writes good VB6 and someone else writes sloppy inefficient C, the VB6 application will be more powerful and more usable...

When I used to use Windows, the only time I would write something in Visual Basic is if I was going to use Winsock... that's pretty much what I used it for mostly.

It is very easy to learn, but you should first learn the basics of VB6 as stated previously. And then just use the API Viewer that Vb6 comes with and look it over. Also, you should be able to do a simply google search and find many turorials on using winsock for VB.

Although VB is effecient at making a program quickly, it isn't effecient for its power. A lot of unecisarly machine instructions are thrown in when it's compiled, it's really careless with memory if you ask me.

edit: check out MSDN they will have a guide for it, you will have to look around for it.

Edited by ansichart