Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
signull

Recording from a cell phone

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone know how to record from a cell phone? What I had in mind was some kind of wire that would connect to the cell phone's headset jack and the other end would connect to my computer soundcard's mic or line-in jack. I feel like such a noob asking this question.

Yes, a line from the headset jack would most likely work.

A family member was getting harassing calls from an ex-husband a few years ago, right after their divorce, so I gave her a sticky mic to record her cell phone calls with -- it's a small microphonic device with a suction cup, that you can stick to the back of a telephone handset. It works with cell phones, and has the advantage of picking up both the caller and the talker. I think you can still get them at radio shack.

i've got a device that can do it. i bought it at radioshak a couple years ago. it's a little black box- one end has a cord that you plug into your cell phone, the other end you plug into your computer (or tape recorder, or anything with a mic jack). then you can plug a headset into the box. you hit record on your recording device (like the program audacity), you turn the box on, and then you make your phone call, and the whole thing is recorded. it cost me like $15 i think. i bought it so i could record people while doing phone interviews for an article i was writing.

you might want to learn what your local laws are about recording phone conversations without consent. unless you plan on getting consent. i think they're different for most states.

Yeah, I have that device, but it doesn't seem to work with my cell phone. It works fine with a landline, but when I connect it to my cell phone's headset jack, all I get on tape is this incredibly loud whistle (feedback?).

Edited by signull

mine is specifically made for cell phones. it probably has something to do with the fact that cell phone jacks do both audio input and output, and your device might be only for output... just a guess.