jamie79512

Power problems

6 posts in this topic

I cannot for the life of me figure out whats wrong with my computer. As soon as i plug it in it starts up, about 10 seconds later, it shuts down then starts up again, then repeats.. I dont know whats going on. Its not the power supply, ive tried more than one... and suggestions?

How far duz it get int that 10 seconds? does it finishing POST? Or if ur running XP duz it get to the loading screen? Have u recently edited to ur BIOS? There are many possibilities that this could be. Could you give us some more details?

Thanks

Wethcr

possibly your processor is over heating. the heatsink make have gotten bumped out of place a little and maybe not cooling sufficiently.

I don't think its the processor overheating if its only getting 10 seconds into the boot, sounds like it might be crashing at the windows xp loading screen. Can you try booting a live version of linux off cd or usb? That might help determine if it is a hardware problem.

Check the connection of the cpu fan. If it came loose then this could cause the problem. If you can get into BIOS monitor the heat levels if the system will stay up for that long. I would open up the box and check all connections first. If they are all snug try booting to a live cd as Drake mentioned, if that goes fine then it is highly likely a piece of hardware is beginning to die. If you have extra parts then I would suggest swapping out parts one at a time to isolate the problem.

I had this issue happen before when I had my old ATI 9700 AIW, it was the fault of how I had my molex connectors relayed through out the machine.. The AIW had a shitty power 5v-3v adapter that wasnt getting the proper power.. IF you have multiple harddrives, lighted fans, cathode's , etc, you have to beef up your power supply more that 350w.. Meaning even if you tried multiple ones, if you are drawing lots of power from multi relay's of the molex/ps unit your video might not be getting the proper power relaying back to the video fast enough.. List your hardware and perfs with your pc and what wats yr using..

Okay, first, nothing is happening, it isnt on long enough to load anything, including the windows boot screen.. No, it wont run any live disks. I thought it may be the processor overheating, (cause the heatsink mount was broken), but it HAD worked like that, and i replaced it with a new one, it didnt help. I thought the power supply might not be supplying enough, so i unhooked everything, the only thing thats plugged in are the essentials (motherboard, hard drive), the fans seem to be running fine. I know its not a processor fault because i put the processor into another computer and it works... I havent done anything to my bios or to any settings.. It worked one second, then i turned it off, then it started doing it.. (this had happened a while back and i gave up on it, the i decided to try again and it worked...)

EDIT:, i managed to get it working, I hadnt taken out the sound card and modem, they may have been drawing too much power

Edited by jamie79512