Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dosman

Lock picking

8 posts in this topic

I tried to search the forums on lockpicking to see if it is discussed much here but it was just hanging (yay forum problems). Anyway, I've started a wiki on locks and picking called Lockenpedia:

http://www.lockenpedia.org

I'm always interested in finding pictures and info on locks but there's not too much of this info online (TOOOL has published some great information though). Some of the places that do have this info tend to rub me the wrong way with their attitudes towards ownership and guarding of information so I've started this project to provide a free and unhindered resource for the locksport community. We've got a few articles on locks but mostly we have pictures for now. I've been slowly collecting some rare and unusual locks and have been putting pics up on the wiki (Sargent & Greenleaf 831b, a few payphone locks, the EVVA magnetic lock, and other high security locks). This is the exact type of thing I've been wanting to find for a while now so I decided to just start it myself. I've got virtually unlimited storage space for photos and videos to support this project, this could be the textfiles.com for lock picking if others wanted to help ;).

So anyway, come check us out! If you are interested in writing articles about locks, picking locks, locksmithing tools, techniques, or taking photos of your tools and locks we would love to have your contributions. Or just come by to see what we have.

All feedback is welcome, thanks!

Hey,

Just been getting into Lockpicking myself and been checking the site out, Bookmarked it.

It looks quite useful, and I can see it's still being updated, so I'll keep checking while learning.

while checking the site just now I opened my first padlock, it's only a wolfdog, but it's a start ^_^

Hi, looks great. :D I didn't see anything about tutorials though. Locksport International (www.locksport.com) has a pretty good basic tutorial which I'll put a link to on Lockenpedia, unless somebody else gets to it first.

Sweet. I've got a yale 6-pin cutaway lock and a kwikset cutaway that I made, I will snap some pics and throw it up there because I notice you need some yale and kwikset pics. This is a VERY cool site.

BTW, what was the site that you mentioned that guarded their knowledge? Was it www.lockpicking101.com?

Edited by Linux

Yes, LP101. They have their reasons for what they do but some of the attitudes there just irk me. Even TOOOL has information they don't provide publicly but LP101 is community driven so I don't agree with the 'you cant discuss that here because your not in our advanced club' mentality. They also have a strong desire to qwell discussions about any other lockpicking sites except their own, just try sending yourself a PM with http://www.ezpicking.com for one (There are other examples too). I've tried to keep Lockenpedia under the radar there so it's not banned (yet).

They do have a lot of good information and I appreciate the info they do provide publicly though.

I'm happy to see information about them included in Lockenpedia, I have refrained from doing so myself since I'm biased.

Hi, looks great. :D I didn't see anything about tutorials though. Locksport International (www.locksport.com) has a pretty good basic tutorial which I'll put a link to on Lockenpedia, unless somebody else gets to it first.

I agree, I liked the LockSport tutorial alot.

And of course, you can't talk about lock picking without at least mentioning the MIT Guide to Lock Picking.

Also, if you count using Shims as lockpicking, you might enjoy this video of a guy owning a lock with a coke can.

I can do pin and tumbler yale-type locks quite regularly now, but the old faishioned type? (mortis?) Never even tried...they would seem to be the most difficult

Yes, LP101. They have their reasons for what they do but some of the attitudes there just irk me. Even TOOOL has information they don't provide publicly but LP101 is community driven so I don't agree with the 'you cant discuss that here because your not in our advanced club' mentality. They also have a strong desire to qwell discussions about any other lockpicking sites except their own, just try sending yourself a PM with http://www.ezpicking.com for one (There are other examples too). I've tried to keep Lockenpedia under the radar there so it's not banned (yet).

They do have a lot of good information and I appreciate the info they do provide publicly though.

I'm happy to see information about them included in Lockenpedia, I have refrained from doing so myself since I'm biased.

I'm a member of their advanced section, and it's not too special.