Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dosman

Lockpicking at PhreakNIC 10

13 posts in this topic

Just to make sure everyone knows, we will have a lock picking table at PhreakNIC this year. The HackerPimps will be hosting two lock picking contests on Saturday also. We'll be selling locks, lock picks, and have plenty of hardware to pick on. Additionally, I've got a meager collection of high security locks you can work on if you got teh sk1llz. Abloy, Mul-T-lock, Medeco, and a small selection of payphone locks for the phreaks :).

Cabinet lock stand:

cabinet_lock_stand01.jpg

cabinet_lock_stand03.jpg

Door lock stands:

door_hardware01.jpg

And we'll also have the Geeks Unleashed arcade cabinet there if you missed out at Notacon this year.

Geeks Unleashed

IMAGE_00018.jpg

Kick Ass!!! I look forward to trying out some picks, and I know Knightlord will dig it.

I got one of these but all I can pick is my 3 doors/deabolts and file cabs that I can fit the wrench in .... Its quite an art sort of like snowflakes every lock is diff.

I have troubble with door knobs that are really loose. My friends house the door handle is so loose it giggles around so much I can't keep the wrench tension right.

item.gif

I got one of these but all I can pick is my 3 doors/deabolts and file cabs that I can fit the wrench in .... Its quite an art sort of like snowflakes every lock is diff.

I have troubble with door knobs that are really loose. My friends house the door handle is so loose it giggles around so much I can't keep the wrench tension right.

[image]

The jackknife looks tempting, however having a pickset on me at all times could get me into more trouble that I'd like. Do the 'blades' lock in place when extended? It seems like having all the other stuff hanging off the end of your pick could make it more difficult to work with.

my friend gave me old lock picks before he moved in a big box, i didnt know what they were until i saw one during a google tangent. i made this video with just picking around, i was amazed as to how easy it is to do! The video is wmv and like about 1 year old maybe. check it out! :D

http://zombie.el.cx/videos/locks/landline.wmv

Edited by trevelyn

The jackknife looks tempting, however having a pickset on me at all times could get me into more trouble that I'd like. Do the 'blades' lock in place when extended? It seems like having all the other stuff hanging off the end of your pick could make it more difficult to work with.

Ya little crappy skrew the comes loose all the time. I guess if it did not take me 5min to pick a lock It would not matter but after about 20sec it start to get lose.

Ya little crappy skrew the comes loose all the time. I guess if it did not take me 5min to pick a lock It would not matter but after about 20sec it start to get lose.

word to the wise--jackknife kits and other all in one devices dont offer the sensativity of feedback that is helpful in learning lockpicking--either make or buy a set of standard picks to start with--southord picks are decent, inexpensive beginner picks and on the outlet section of their site, one can get a good deal on some blemished but perfectly functional picks.

blacklines

I'm really interested in lock picking. i never really even thought about it before but after reading up on it alittle bit i definately want to start picking. where is the PhreakNIC 10 going to held? and how much does it cost to get in?

phreaknic was in october, you just missed it.

phreaknic was in october, you just missed it.

ahhhhh too bad. i had a feeling that i might have. that sucks! do you know when another lockpicking convention will be?

Very good question. Lock picking contests are like Elvis, they are often talked about but rarely spotted in the wild. Honestly I'd say the best bet to find one is to keep an eye on the forums at lockpicking101.com and also check the posted activities of every hacker con as they roll around. Notacon 2007 would be good to watch for one, probably also Schmoocon. The HackerPimps hosted the one at pnX, I'd keep an eye on their website too for future contests.

Lastly, don't be afraid to host one yourself :)