Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
_S7_

.bat files

14 posts in this topic

im trying to make a bat file open progs them close some and restart, shut down and then open its self when the comp starts over is any of that possible if so what would the coding be?

and also is there a site with codes for a .bat file?

--spelling edited by droops--

batch files are nothing more then commands that you would enter as if you were at a command prompt, There are however things you would only put in a batch file because typing them at a prompt would be use less. So if you know your way around a command prompt then your half way there.

Sorry I can't give you more information because what I do know is very little now because it been along time sense I made a batch file. Since I found the love of linux.

well thank you and im not good with command prompts lol

well thank you and im not good with command prompts lol

First learn how to navigate on the command prompt, then writing batch files will be easier :) just research "DOS commands" or something like that..

If you're going to be writing a lot of batch stuff then there are some command line guides that you will probably find pretty helpful - these all go to the official Microsoft documentation:

Windows 2000 Command Line Reference

Windows XP Command Line Reference

Windows 2003 Command Line Reference

Another favourite of mine is http://www.ss64.com/nt/ which also has a list of Windows XP command line utilities linking to a page on each with the built-in help plus some examples on how to use them. The other bonus is that it shows you what linux commands the DOS command is similar to - this may not be so helpful to you though as I suspect you're unfamiliar with all command lines.

The other thing I'd add here is, unless you're absolutely dedicated to doing this in BATCH, maybe check out something like AutoHotkey. It is a open-source, free and fantabulously pimped out scripting and automation language that beats the pants off everything I've used on Windows for this kind of work. It can run in interpreted mode or there's a (community supplied) compiler that will convert your scripts into executables. Check it out - I don't think you'll be disappointed!

sweet thanks kynan i'll check the sites out

on the Auto Hot Key theres the part with the mouse where i can make a file so it will move the mopuse to where i want it i have like a few wuestions about it

1) what type of file would it need to be?

2) can i send i to ppl they open the file and it moves there mouse?

3) hoe exactly would i know the corrdanites of where to move the mouse?

Edited by Saleen S7

if you want the bath file to start up when the computer boots, then just put it into the "Startup" folder in your start Menu.

If you want it to start program, then just navigate via command line commands to the executable.

Example:

you want to start c:\program\startExapmple.exe

your batch file would look something along the lines of:

c: //<--if you are not already on the c drive

cd program

startExample

on the Auto Hot Key theres the part with the mouse where i can make a file so it will move the mopuse to where i want it i have like a few wuestions about it

1) what type of file would it need to be?

2) can i send i to ppl they open the file and it moves there mouse?

3) hoe exactly would i know the corrdanites of where to move the mouse?

If I'm understanding your question then:

1) An executable - you need to compile the script using the Ahk2Exe script compiler (included in the default install)

2) Yes

3) That would be a little more difficult and depends on things like the other persons screen resolution. If you want to move to a position relative to a particular window then that is a bit easier - providing that you know the window will exist when your program is run. Have a look at the MouseMove command and the related links at the bottom of that page.

thanks for the help i'll try it out tomorrow well later today after i wake up lol