CS5n531

Computers Broken!

18 posts in this topic

Hey guys, long time - no post!

SO, heres the deal. I was on my computer yesterday, and the screen was constantly turning completely black for about 10 seconds. It was just doing it on and off every half hour. After about 2 hours of that happening with out it stopping, I check how much space I had left on my HD. I had like 8 MB, so i cleared stuff out and i ended up having 9 GB total free. About an hour later, the screen goes black and doesnt change back. So I restart my PC, but the screen never gives off life, and the tower is making a constant *high pitched* noise and then a *low pitched* noise. So it just constantly goes HIGH low HIGH low HIGH low, kind of like a siren :P The screen is still black, and obviously my computer is making thoes noises trying to tell me whats wrong. I read the manual, it was no help to me. I dont knwo what to do, and I need my computer for an online game i have a match in on Friday, so I need this fixed FAST! Oh, and it could'nt of over heated because my room is friggin freezing, and my PC has 3 fans.

I know its alot to read, but this is REALLY important that I get this fixed by Friday! Thanks for any help given!

(maybe buy a new harddrive? or is that not the problem)

Are you sure it isn't overheating? Have you checked to see if the heatsink fan is running? That alarm sounds like it might be the CPU monitor alarm. The temperature in the the room wouldn't be enough to keep the CPU cool. If the fan is running and you have another CPU to swap in, try that. If you find that isn't the case swap in another graphics card and see if you can get it to POST. HTH

Sounds like either video card failure, RAM failure, or motherboard failure.

I hate computers. :)

The heat sink is on, and i have an extra fan thats on one of the sides of the case as an extra (i put it there to prevent this). I'm not sure if its overheating. Do you know where I can look up what thoes beeps mean?

if you have spare parts, try replacing the RAM and see if it starts then.

I would start with the ram too...if you have multiple sticks (say 2 512MB sticks ect) try pulling one then see if it works...if it doesn't put that one back in and pull the other. Do you have a video card in an AGP slot or are you using the on-board? If you're using the AGP slot, try switching to your on-board.

It could be a number of things, the last time I got a call for the same problems as your saying, I looked at the monitors connector to the video card and the screws were not tight enough. So anytime you would move, the monitor would go black.

Also try to think of what you done with your pc before all this started.

:go: Example

-Did you install new video drivers.

-Was someone on your pc

-Dog pee on pc

Whatever it was, try to think of what it was and uninstall or change whatever it was.

Edited by Knowledge01

This usually means a few things.

1.) Monitor is fried and/or

2.) Power supply fried and/or

3.) Graphics card fried.

In most cases thats the power supply starting to go, replace the power supply and/or monitor and you should be good to go. If that doesnt work please let me know asap i'll work on a fix for it. Also if the power supply is starting to go it may have caused something else to frie as i stated in the 3 possible things 'and/or'

I'm going to shoot for a new Power Supply Unit. Can you guys link me to a good/durable/longlasting/low-price PSU on www.newegg.com ? I'm willing to spend up to $150

I'm going to shoot for a new Power Supply Unit. Can you guys link me to a good/durable/longlasting/low-price PSU on www.newegg.com ? I'm willing to spend up to $150

If you need it by friday its not going to help getting it online =p then again psu's are usually hit or miss. Make sure you have a powersupply that is big enough for everything running on your computer and a little left over. Most generally any psu that is 350w or higher should be enough but as a gameing machine you might need a bit more than 350w i would shoot for 400-450w if its a gameing machine just to be on the safe side.

If you need it by friday its not going to help getting it online =p then again psu's are usually hit or miss. Make sure you have a powersupply that is big enough for everything running on your computer and a little left over. Most generally any psu that is 350w or higher should be enough but as a gameing machine you might need a bit more than 350w i would shoot for 400-450w if its a gameing machine just to be on the safe side.

I'm not going to be able to get one by Friday, I'm talking just longterm now. The one I had was 450, but its a cheap brand and it came w/ the case ( http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/atx-case-p...x-212-black.htm )

well in that case give me a minute i'll find you one.

Edit: Ok heres a great deal by a major company http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817153028 Probably a little over kill for you but its a great deal at that.

- http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....&SubCategory=58 Good brand name

- http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....&SubCategory=58

another good brand name.

Take your pick

Edited by XxthugstylezxX

Those tones that the computer is sounding, are they in a distinct pattern? Or is it just a siren? Reason I ask is that some PCs are built so that if there is a problem with POSTing, the system speaker will emit a unique series of tones that can be used to identify the problem. Like an auditory debugger. If this is the case, either the manual or google will be your friend. If it's not the case, and the sound is just a siren, there is only one reason I know of that a computer would set off an alarm, and that is an overheat warning.

I've been in the same position..."what? overheat? naaah, I have plenty of fans!". But sure enough...

I think tehbizz beat me to the beep codes...use his search string!

edit: gnilleps

Edited by JimboPDHS

If you want to know for sure that it is a heat issue then boot up the box, and go into BIOS. Monitor the heat/power, and then see if the screen continues to do the same. If the heat and power is at a reasonable level then feel the back/sides of your monitor. If it's really hot then your monitor maybe failing. If not, then I would look towards your RAM, video card.

what type of pc is it? how old? just curious.

Some good advice here but I'd definately recomend pinning down the problem as much as possible by looking up the error beep codes before you start buying replacement hardware. You should allways delay the purchase of new hardware until you're at least fairly certain where the problem is, otherwise you're just waisting lots of money and nothing sucks more than buying a big expensive power supply unit to find out that it was just one of your memory sticks that's been fried.

i had this same problem with my HP computer before i got my new one and its your hard drive going : \ well thats what it was on mine its most likely the same reason cause it kept making a high and low pitched noise (it was annoying!)