WhisperKiller

Port surfing...

15 posts in this topic

Ok, lets assume for a moment that I know very little about port surfing and linux. Can someone tell me how to go about doing it? Would I open a terminal to do it? If so which one do I open? I have about 5 different terminals lol Once I do what commands do I use to list/manipulate? Mind you I am not interested in interfering I would just like to get the basics of surfing ports down and scanning. If someone can help me without the use of third party programs I'd appreciate it. I do not think that third party software will help me learn as well as using the basic tools provided with linux. In other words I don't wanna be lazy lol Thanks for the help.

What do you mean by "Port Surfing"?

port scanning....like with telnet

When you say you are running linux, what distro do you have? Are you useing a bootable one or have you got it permanently installed? Does it have any port scanners installed? We need more information than you are giving us.

Try googleing nmap tutorials.

Doing a manual portscan is pointless. Just use Nmap. You can still learn without having to try and telnet to every port individually. Don't try to be such a purist and you will be fine.

Ok guys I have mepis linux installed permanently...i did not install any port scanners and do not know if there are any that were installed from mepis...Next, I am not being a purist by wanting to know the procedures to manually port scan, I am simply wanting to know the procedure. Please do not make assumptions about my intentions. I appreciate the input and indeed, I will have a port scanner to make things easier, but I do not wish to use one right now. I just want to learn how to do it manually....thats all. I just think that it will help me to learn about both a bit to do it that way....everyone learns differently and I learn best by doing things this way. I appreciate any help that you can give about this. Thanks.

If you don't have nmap do a "sudo apt-get install nmap" and I think that'll install it. Mepis has apt-get right?

If you don't have nmap do a "sudo apt-get install nmap" and I think that'll install it. Mepis has apt-get right?

Ok, I have a vague idea of what you mean but I'd like to get more clarification if thats ok...You mean open a terminal and type what is in the "" at the prompt? Also, I went to the insecure.org site and was trying to figure out how to install it but again, I'm very newb to linux. I looked at the windows installer but I'm running sp2 and I hate limiting functionality on tools. So, again I ask for MORE help :cry: I appologize for my lack of knowledge in this area but I have spent most of my time with windows unfortunatly. Thanks for the help.

All you have to do is open up a linux terminal and type in "sudo apt-get install nmap" without the quotes. It should prompt you for your root password or it will just work. Now you should be ready to scan away.

Edited by digitalgalileo

All you have to do is open up a linux terminal and type in "sudo apt-get install nmap" without the quotes. It should prompt you for your root password or it will just work. Now you should be ready to scan away.

ok this didn't work...i also looked in the package installer and couldnt find it there either. so next would be to download it and install right? if so i could use some help with that. thanks.

could you copy the output from the terminal when you type that?

it doesnt give me anything but another prompt.

it doesnt give me anything but another prompt.

Then copy what it does show you and pase it here.

When you say it just gives you another prompt, do you mean another command prompt, without evan an error message?