Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Snyd3r

Problems With Builidng My New Comp

8 posts in this topic

Well, first off, if this is the wrong place to post it, sorry. its the best one i saw. I was going to post in gerneal hacking but it doesnt have to do with hacking. anyways:

I have just built a new computer. But I cant get it to work. When I plug my monitor into the graphics card, i dont see anything. I would plug it into the motherboard but i cant case it doenst have onbaord graphics.

I am using

ASUS Motherbaord

AMD 64 4000+

ATI Radeon X800XL

please help, I have no idea what to do

ive tried switching out the ram, formatting the HD, and more.

any ideas?

Do you get a post beep from the onboard speaker?

One of the ways I troubleshoot something like this is build the PC outside the case on a non-conductive surface (cardboard or whatever). Don't put it on the anti-static bag! Install the CPU and sink. Install only one stick of RAM. Install the video card. Connect the monitor to the graphics card. Connect the PSU to the motherboard, then connect power to the PSU. Don't install anything else yet. Make sure the CPU heat sink fan is plugged in. Then to turn it on by jumping the power switch with a screwdriver. Where the two little jumper posts are in the bottom right corner, take a screwdriver and connect the power switch jumpers only for a second so the machine powers on. If your core components are good, doing this step by step will result in a display at least.

HTH :)

scratch that, it works, just after posting this one 3 diff. forums, i got it working

just my lick ;)

thanks anyways

For any other newbies reading this, after doing the tests outlined above, I always do a BIOS reset.

Pop out the CMOS battery, bootup the computer, let it go through its POST, boot up etc. Shut it back down, replace the battery back on the motherboard, and boot it up again. Your system time will be off of course, but this works to clear out any weird BIOS shizzle that occurs with new hardware.

JS

whenever something like that happens to me, I always take out the RAM and put it back again. Sometimes it just needs a little bit cleaning.

I doubt it would need a cleaning, but what happened is that the RAM probably wasn't seated correctly if removing and replacing did the trick. By the way, Snyd3r, what was the issue?

i had the ram in the wrong spot, simple mistake. lol

note, i just added a signature, now you all can check out my stats. dont laugh at the memory, i need to upgrade it

Edited by Snyd3r

my pentium-m laptop only has 256MB ram, but of course that's plenty enough since it runs gentoo