Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fiend

Discovered a bug in Windows XP.

16 posts in this topic

Let's try this little experiment with explorer.exe.

Load up notepad and type in "Bill Gates Sucks."

Save the file as C:\Bill.exe.

Now using explorer.exe (Use 'My Computer') go to drive C:\ and try to delete bill.exe.

It will say that it's in use by another program. Believe it or not, the program that it's in use by is your trusty friend 'explorer.exe'

When you use explorer to go to a directory that contains an invalid EXE file, explorer will load the binary contents of that file into memory. It does this to find an icon for that file, and possibly other information.

Since, it's not a valid EXE file their obviously isn't an icon in the file to load, and explorer doesn't like that.

So, how do you delete it without explorer.exe loading the file into memory?

If you said use the command prompt, then you are correct.

Now, what if you saved the invalid EXE file to desktop? Explorer has the file loaded and you can't escape out of desktop so you have to kill the explorer.exe process with the task manager.

After you kill the explorer.exe process, you need to open up the command prompt to delete the file. In task manager go to File >> New Task (RUN) >> and input "cmd.exe"

If you wanted to be a jackass, you could send large invalid EXE files to people on AIM, it will take up space and they won't be able to delete it, unless they know to use the command prompt.

Edited by Fiend

Did you remember to close the Notepad window?

Did you remember to close the Notepad window?

It doesn't matter of the notepad window is open or closed, once you save it it writes it to the disk. And yes, I did close the notepad window... even though it's irrelevant that I did so.

This bug seems to be fixed on some systems that used Windows XP, but apparantly not mine.

Also, you can't rename bill.exe into anything else... however you can copy and paste the program.

I renamed a .txt to .exe in explorer.

I was able to delete it then and there in explorer without using cmd.

So then I did what you did, opened notepad, wrote "Bill gates makes me hot." and saved it as an actual .exe. I was still able to delete it in explorer after creating the file.

So then I did what you did, opened notepad, wrote "Bill gates makes me hot." and saved it as an actual .exe. I was still able to delete it in explorer after creating the file.

Still, sometimes it'll be retarded and save the file as something like "bill.exe.txt". That was one of the most frustrating things for me when learning about batch files. When I tried to create a .bat file for some z80 thing I tried, I saved it as "asm.bat". But Windows, having 'superior intelligence', added .txt to it...twice. So I had "asm.bat.txt.txt". I hate notepad.

Still, sometimes it'll be retarded and save the file as something like "bill.exe.txt". That was one of the most frustrating things for me when learning about batch files. When I tried to create a .bat file for some z80 thing I tried, I saved it as "asm.bat". But Windows, having 'superior intelligence', added .txt to it...twice. So I had "asm.bat.txt.txt". I hate notepad.

lol... Its all about the "Save As... All Files".

That said I did make sure that they were saved as .exe and not .exe.txt :P

Yeah, running Windows XP Pro here. I didnt have the slightest problem deleting it.

I even ran the executable before trying to delete. Then I made another one and pressed Windows + E to open an "official" explorer window. I went into C:\ and deleted it fine.

Best way to delete the invalid EXE file...

1. Insert Linux CD

2. Reboot

3. fdisk /dev/hda

4. d

5. 1

6. partition for linux

7. w

All fixed. :)

Hmm, yea I figured out that some systems it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Some systems have the problem and others don't.

Now the greater mystery is why?

Hmm, yea I figured out that some systems it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Some systems have the problem and others don't.

Now the greater mystery is why?

Not exactly sure.. But maybe it has to do with registry configurations?

You could've just selected "save as all files" and put that .bat extension on it.

But its irrelavent now. lol

Edited by M0NGL3R

You could've just selected "save as all files" and put that .bat extension on it.

But its irrelavent now. lol

Yeah, Like I said, I was just learning about batch files. I wasn't that good yet.

I too run WinXP Pro but I can't replicate this, perhaps I'm doing something wrong? Or could it be a patch thing? u got all the latest patches etc...

can you give more info, about the computer that you were running it on, like: what windows and what service pack

Can't replicate it here. I'm running XP Pro with all the latest patches including SP2.

It just deletes like normal..