natas

How To Get Out Of Your Contract Without Early Term

25 posts in this topic

Lucky has an AWESOME new article on http://www.oldskoolphreak.com

"How To Get Out of Your Contract On Cingular / AT&T / T-Mobile / Sprint / Nextel / Verizon Without Early Termination Fees".

The information is REALLY interesting. It's another classic Lucky225 article! Who the hell would of thought moving to Iowa could get you out of a contract? Enjoy!

so he basically took a post that someone else made, then made it into an article. Typical, :voteyes:

Edited by nazareth2

Where did you steal it from? :blink:

so he basically took a post that someone else made, then made it into an article. Typical,  :voteyes:

Who probably did the same thing. I've heard of this plan for quite a while. Something to do with FCC "Rules" (Suggestions really). Hell, I think it even made it into 2600 letter section.

This is just an account of someone who went thru it.

I haven't seen this posted anywhere else, nor do I think there's any FCC regulations requiring the cellcos to not charge you term fees if you move -- that's a personal life choice, it's not the cell co's problem. It was just a quick SE that I came up w/ to switch to t-mobile and it worked, sorry if someone else thought of it first, I just thought I'd share, god damn. And I don't think anyone else who posted knew about Royal, IA kthx

I haven't seen this posted anywhere else, nor do I think there's any FCC regulations requiring the cellcos to not charge you term fees if you move -- that's a personal life choice, it's not the cell co's problem.  It was just a quick SE that I came up w/ to switch to t-mobile and it worked, sorry if someone else thought of it first, I just thought I'd share, god damn.  And I don't think anyone else who posted knew about Royal, IA kthx

It was posted in this exact forum if I remember right. Either way, knowing a city name where you can't get service to a specific carrier is real hard, nice share. :blink:

Haha well if it was posted here then that makes sense that Lucky wouldnt have seen it, since he never reads the forums :P But seriously, I'm trying to search for the original post your talking about and I cant find anything.

Doh!

(i posted the link a second too late)

Edited by 10nix

OK cool thanks for the link. I never read that post. Oh well. Luckys article is written pretty well atleast. I had never heard of this before, and in my opinion, its really cool and I wish I had known about this a long time ago. I would of loved to cancel my cell provider when I was in New York and switch to something cheaper, but I didnt know about this. Also if I move again I can get T-Mobile or something and not have to worry about what happens when I move back to an area that doesnt have T-Mobile.

Verizon Wireless seems like they will be a little harder to get to waive their fee's as they have the most coverage nationwide.

Just to give a little extra info that might help you out, my experince using this method.

So I called Cingular and was like, Yeah I'm moving to east bumblefuck. I was armed with an address, zipcode, city and state that I knew didn't have service. They first confirmed that I didn't have service out there, then they told me that the contract I signed only guarteed serivce in the state where I bought my phone.

Just something to keep in mind if anyone tries this. I've been meaning to get a copy of the contract to check that for sure but I've been too busy/lazy :)

-Dr^ZigMan

I tried getting out of my Iridium contract this way. Didn't work.

Ha ha....Iridium. Didn't they go bankrupt?

Ha ha....Iridium. Didn't they go bankrupt?

I got out of Sprint in a similar manner, But hell AT&T with Cingular, Nextel with Sprint, Fuck are there many more options for phones now ... LOL Damn ... :grr:

I've gotten out of a few cell phone contracts with this method.

Just to give a little extra info that might help you out, my experince using this method.

So I called Cingular and was like, Yeah I'm moving to east bumblefuck.  I was armed with an address, zipcode, city and state that I knew didn't have service.  They first confirmed that I didn't have service out there, then they told me that the contract I signed only guarteed serivce in the state where I bought my phone.

Just something to keep in mind if anyone tries this.  I've been meaning to get a copy of the contract to check that for sure but I've been too busy/lazy :)

-Dr^ZigMan

Cingular guarantees service? WTF? I thought all cell phone companies had a whole service is not guaranteed thing in their contract.

And service in the state where you bought your phone? What if you didnt buy a phone with the plan? Or bought one in another state then where you live?

Hate to bring up old threads, but I've had 2 friends in the last week get out of contracts with Cingular with no charge by saying they were Marines and being called to Iraq. Much more simple. For one friend it was only a 5 minute phone call and most of it was waiting in queue. B)

By law if you get deployed they can't hold you to contracts. I don't know how well this would work with other people social engineering it though, seeing as how I really was in the military, and I really was going overseas. It was a long time ago but I don't think they verified a goddamn thing. How could they? If they bitch, threaten lawsuits because it's illegal. Most people are very willing to work with soldiers on just about anything.

If they want you to come in with a military ID, just wait a week or two, call in on behalf of your son who is deployed, and he can't pay these bills, and by law they can't keep you in contract yada yada yada. The only problem is they might actually just postpone the plan until you get back. If this is the case, you have no damn clue when they're coming back.

I don't know how well this would work, seeing as how I actually was being sent overseas, but it's worth a shot. What are they going to do? Call the army?

Edited by Logik

they could ask for a copy of your orders. rule of thumb, don't sign contracts that you can't fulfill. :D

they could ask for a copy of your orders. rule of thumb, don't sign contracts that you can't fulfill.  :D

Couldn't you technicaly just write up an order from a company, that says that they are sending you to some small village? Make it look nice and formal. If making up a company name and then writting a contract in that fake name is illegal, then just ask a friend with a small business to write you one. Or you could start a business and not do anything with that business, the only purpose of it would be to get you out of cellphone contracts that you don't like.

I am all for social engineering, however I am enlisted in the United States Marine Corp, and I do get offended when people pretend to be United States Marines. However I will say the ways to cancel a cell phone contract in this thread are very clever, but I still do not agree with claiming your a United States Marine.

Diablo

Just in case anyone was looking. *shrugz*

-ArchAngel

sorry my mistake, btw: lucky225 method is still the best one