Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hatebreeder6669

New to forums and quick Q

9 posts in this topic

hi im new to the forum and just wood like to say tht i love DDP. my question is probably simple for you guys but ize gets confuzed easilyz.hehehe. ne way, ive been sniffing around (no pun intended) and was wondering what good sniffers were. there are so many to choose from i jest need a little halp. the purpose is not as much to "sniff" but to moniter the traffic of someone on my networks comp, fro i think they might be up to no good and need incriminating evidence, while not being seen for looking at thier comp. i know this iz really noobish, nad i dont want to come off in a first post as a script kiddie, but this is what i want to know. ive been reading on loits of stuff to gfet into hacking in general, or "advanced computer using" but am jest in need of direction. .txt's are hard to come by for me since im jest getting into the scene and getting updated/recent ones is even harder. thnx for the help and guidence and sry if you dont like me. :(

I think your best bet for a packet sniffer, whether you run Windows or Linux, would be Ethereal. It comes on a lot of Linux distros already. From what I've seen, the Windows version does the job well.

Secondly, I think this post belongs in the Nubie HQ.

And lastly, this isn't intended to be a flame, just a simple suggestion: I know that I, and a few others on this board, would find it nice if you could work on your spelling and grammar just a bit. Your post was a bit hard to read, due to misspellings and such. Just something to keep in mind.

okay sorry for the short and quick typing. after i have looked around i agree that the newbie forum is where this post should have gone :( since i am such a noob, i was wondering what this program will do? i dont want to jest run it and take in the results, because i want to learn how things work. thank you Black Hand fot this info.

Edited by hatebreeder6669

since i am such a noob, i was wondering what this program will do? i dont want to jest run it and take in the results, because i want to learn how things work.

Start by reading the documentation on ethereal.com. An understanding of TCP/IP networking doesn't hurt either.

I like TCPDUMP.

Agreed. You can view tcpdump results within Ethereal I believe.

For some quick surveillance type sniffing I tend to use Ettercap (0.6.B) on linux. It's ncurses based (so runs in the console). I found that it gives me a good overview if I want to monitor a single IP quickly.