• entries
  • comments
  • views

The end of the experiment that was the Binary Revolution

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StankDawg

This is the end.  BinRev is closing down.  We had a great run, and in the short term, the experiment was a tremendous success, but in the long run, it was a complete and utter failure.  It was fun while it lasted, but it is time to call this project complete.  It was probably "complete" at least 5 years ago, maybe more.

I will come back and explain more someday.  I may record an episode of Hacker Public Radio about it and explain more of why I started the whole thing long ago, and what my goals were when I did.  I can also explain how it was a huge success yet also a failure at the same time.  Right now, I am just to disappointed to really go into it.  I wish things had gone differently and that we could have kept thing thing alive, but it was just not meant to be.

I am going to lock the site down as much as I can right now, and eventually try to clean up the overgrowth of SPAM.  My plan is to leave the site up in archive mode, if possible, so the content is not lost forever.  I will come back, if and when time permits, to clean up the SPAM so at least it can live in with some dignity, not the overgrown mess that it is now.  I feel like I at least owe BinRev that.

Thanks to everyone for a great run, and shame to those who ruin good things.

The revolution has been digitized.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

4 Comments

This website was a big part of my childhood, it and the people I met through it influenced my life in a big way, and I partially credit it for where I am today.

For the past few years, this site has been a shell of its former self, with sparse posts and tons of spam. It was certainly time to let it go.

I'm glad that you will keep binrev alive in archive mode, there is a lot of information here that cannot be replaced.

If there comes a point in the future where you can no longer host this site, I hope you will upload a siterip to archive.org or somewhere similar.

Thanks again for the memories,

xhausted110

p.s. I would love to hear the story of Binrev in podcast form someday.

p.p.s Holy Shit! I just looked at the forums (It's been a while since I actually looked at them) and god damn the amount of spam is insane! I'd be glad to help weed out the actual posts from the B.S. once you turn on archive mode.

Edited by xhausted110

Share this comment

Hey stankdawg, we've never spoken I don't think but I used to go by samo on here.

Wow, binrev has had such an amazing impact on my life and my love for telephones. I'm eternally grateful for the platform you've provided here and some of the people i've met through it.

Share this comment

What!? This is sad to hear. I want to say thanks for the ride!

I remember I would I would race home from GRADE SCHOOL to come and listen to binrev and RFA!

These were some of the first security podcasts I ever listened to and I know in some crazy way they put me on track to reach my goal of landing a job in the industry.

Thank you!

Edited by ~Total_Blackout~

Share this comment