• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 thought_poet

thought_poet

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 04:38 PM

One of my girlfriends is currently in Germany, in the American Army. She had a cell phone from here in the states and it will not function down there so right now she is forced to wait in line for the base phone to make calls.

What does she need from america that I can send her to make international calls to loved ones in the states? I'm sending her a calling card (and I need to figure out what type is best as well) but I was hoping I could find a way for her to get her cell phone working.

Is this possible?

If not then what company/calling card should I send her? She said all her calling cards that she has will not work either and that only a few brands will. Problem is she didn’t have the time to explain in her last rushed call due to the large line behind her.

I know nothing about german telco. Any links or info you have on this would be great, and I do have a deadline to send the first care package to her. It's in a week.

#2 riscphree

riscphree

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 04:50 PM

when i was in germany i dont remember the company i used. i'll ask the people i stayed with ;)

btw, my sisters boyfriend is currently in germany with the army also. not sure where exactly.

Edited by riscphree, 18 December 2004 - 04:53 PM.

#3 natas

natas

De La Natas

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 04:59 PM

well im not a huge expert on cellular stuff but i guess over there they use GSM that operates at 900mhz. or somewhere around 900mhz. so if you get a tri-mode phone over here, and it says it works at 900mhz on GSM then it should prolly work over there. but a calling card would prolly be best.

#4 Yauch

Yauch

elite

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 05:14 PM

A GSM phone will work in Germany but it's easier just to buy one here, the army practicly makes you buy one. Landline calls to the states are 4 cents a minute and cheaper, but it'll probably take the telco a month or more to instal the line. Tell her to not even bother with getting att calling cards. The international rates are garbage. Her best bet is a best card, or se asking a dsn op at a base near where you live to trancefer her call. If she's near a class A dsn phone, local calls are no problem, just hit 99 before dialing the number. Or she can use the automated attendent at 430 1880. For a recording of what it sounds like click here
Calling to german cell phones is super expensive.

This place has some good prices.

Edited by Yauch, 18 December 2004 - 05:26 PM.

#5 spoekalb

spoekalb

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• 1,280 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 05:47 PM

AT&T has been donating prepaid calling time to troops overseas. They have a system setup whereby customers can donate time through an automated system too. You can read more about it here.

1 minute deducted for each minute of talk time used.

I pulled this quote from the AT&T Prepaid card website. That is from 964-1 to 1-763

Iraq country code: 964
City codes: Baghdad 1, Basra 40, Kerbela 32, Kirkuk 50, Mousil 60, Najaf 33.

I buy all of my AT&T Prepaid cards from a guy in Minnesota on eBay. Here is a link to one of his auctions. $4.97 / 120units = 4.14 cents per unit with no expiration date and no monthly charges.

#6 mausa

mausa

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 06:32 PM

when i had a cellphone in Germany, they wouldn't allow me to make any international phonecalls either. In order to do that, i had to sign up for international calling first. I didn't do it though

#7 thought_poet

thought_poet

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 11:35 PM

She has a shitty looking nokia phone she got relatively recently for the express purpose of taking it over there and having a local (to me here in the states) number for people to call her at. But as soon as she got there she stopped geting a signal despite the fact she was told it would work.

I know sprint offers international calling cards. Are they any good? I can get them cheap localy.

#8 Havoc

Havoc

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• 923 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 07:20 AM

But as soon as she got there she stopped geting a signal despite the fact she was told it would work.

I know sprint offers international calling cards. Are they any good? I can get them cheap localy.

1. Does her US operator have roaming with German networks accessible where she stays at present ?
2. GSM networks in Europe operate on freq 900 Mhz and 1800 Mhz so buy her used simple dual band phone (which is in Europe cheap as shit) or tri band GSM phone (it works also on 1900 Mhz networks) the cheapiest/good one tri-band will be Motorola T250
3. I recommend buying simple pre-paid GSM sim card so she will be able to receiving calls and SMS. I'm not sure how it looks in Germany but in Poland you can buy pre-paid that 'without loading' works on receiving for 12 months and has enabled worldwide roaming.
4. If you want to call her then just buy unlimited Europe VoIP plan from for example Lingo and arrange for her German cell phone number or a payphone with incoming calls enabled.
5. She can obviously make the cheapest calls using local voip calling cards.

I thought US army serves internet access so it would be so much easier to chat PC2PC

#9 thought_poet

thought_poet

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 01:14 PM

As nice as the information and routing stuff is, She lives on the base right now so she cant do anything elaborate and she is not a hacker type. It has to be clean and simple. She just spent allot of money on 2 year contract with the company that screwed her over, so I doubt she would be willing to buy another phone and get it connected to a german telecom.

#10 Havoc

Havoc

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• 923 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 01:18 PM

I doubt she would be willing to buy another phone and get it connected to a german telecom.

Used GSM cell phone and prepaid card is simple-legal-cheapest solution but it is her choice if she wants or not to receive calls and sms in private.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!