• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Taeweas

Taeweas

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 01:09 AM

Ok, now that everything is fine and dandy, and that me and my friend did some stuff with IPs (showed me how to like actually find where the person lives) I would like to reset mine, but when i do realease renew it just gives me the same one, suggestions? Can anyone post some more links?

#2 Subzero1037

Subzero1037

D1g1taL Ma5t3rM1nd

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 02:18 AM

you have whats called a static ip thats assigned to you through your ISP. No matter how many times you renew and refresh it will always give you the same one. The only people anymore that have floating ip addresses are dialup people. Otherwise its easier for ISP's to control things

#3 jedibebop

jedibebop

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 08:44 AM

technically you can't find out where someone lives from their ip, 1) it could always be a proxy 2) it just goes back to the server of their isp, like mine says new orleans, but I don't live in new orleans. Techncially though once you have the server they use you could probably SE it out of the ISP

#4 Abstruse

Abstruse

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 09:26 AM

Some broadband providers give dynamic IPs (IPs that change), but most people never have a reason to reset their DSL/Cable modem/router so their IP never changes.

You can't get someone's specific address from their IP technically speaking, but if you've posted your real name, phone number, address, etc. online, it can be found out that way, esp. if the site logs the IP of whoever posts.

The Abstruse One

#5 Taeweas

Taeweas

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 09:32 AM

Well, if you went to gotomypc.com and had someones IP, they could never change it and you could have access to thier comp? Interesting.....

#6 Cr45 Du57

Cr45 Du57

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 619 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 11:07 AM

I have had the IP renew problem with Road Runner in the past; I have a dynamic IP it is just that the IP lease time is extremly long. So long in fact after having my cable modem unplugged for 3 days my IP was still the same... Im lucky if it changes about every 5 months. But I have found by calling tech support and telling them you are having connection issue's (even though you dont) and by having your network cable (not the coax) unplugged but tellling them it isn't, they will try to renew your IP, reset lease, etc, etc and by having this done your IP will most likely change. And after a minute or two reconnect your ethernet cable and let them fix your "problem". But before you try that just unplug your modem and leave it off for 5 - 10 minutes and then restart it without it connected to the PC, turn off the PC and connect it to the PC, then turn the PC on. This sometimes changes it. And then there is the good ole'
ipconfig /renew
at the cmd line.

Hope that helps!

-cr45du57

Edited by Cr45 Du57, 14 December 2004 - 11:09 AM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!