• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bland_inquisitor

bland_inquisitor

mod -o- the day

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 729 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 07:24 PM

does anyone here have any strong opinions about a graphical HTML editor? I'm looking for something that is easy to use, and free :)

#2 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 08:13 PM

Bluefish is pretty good. BoBB seemed to think Quanta was better so you might want to look into that.

Quanta Link
Bluefish Link

#3 decifer

decifer

mad 1337

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 09:58 PM

i'd reccomend bluefish or quanta for that.... but u know theres always vi and nedit :)

#4 BoBB

BoBB

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 12:16 AM

If your looking for a WYSIWYG editor AFAIK you wont be finding one, the only tools for web development ive ever seen you had to hand roll the code yourself, or cut and paste it ;) And the best tool ive come across for html editing is vim, but since you probably dont want to spend the time to learn it(very easy btw) i would go with quanta, I haven't tried bluefish in a while but when I did I just didn't like it. I really liked quanta's built in DOC's too. Again vim rules :)

#5 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 01:48 AM

"ed" all the way playa :D - j/k

"kwrite" is what I use, that or "kate" or "gedit".. You really dont need much for html as long as you can open a browser window and admire your work as you tweak it... thats what I do, text editer and browser window.

#6 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• 1,196 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 09:44 AM

Quanta has its own preview feature and it renders pretty well. Bluefish uses Mozilla to render previews, so it's not very lightweight.

#7 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 01:32 PM

gecko (rendering engine of mozilla)is not light at all, lol so I wouldnt be surprised at that - I know dreamweaver has that same option, but I like to look at a full page of code, and for me its easyer to just switch by the tab bar.. I have never used bluefish or quanta, seems wrong to me to use something so big for something that never gets any bigger then 20k of hand coded goodness.

#8 logan5

logan5

Hakker addict

• 534 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 02:07 PM

It's been a while since I've used anything but Dreamweaver, but Netscape and Mozilla should have a WSYWIG HTML editor, I think they call it Composer or soemthing like that. Not too advanced, and I don't think they support frames, but you can't beat the price.

#9 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 02:10 PM

Yes they both have a composer plugin/editer.. but its kinda blouted IMHO.

#10 JHVH-1

JHVH-1

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 03:00 PM

The Mozilla Editor isn't half bad. If you just want a quick simple page the old netscape 4 one was pretty nice. I used to use that. Another handy thing for the design challenged (or just plain lazy like myself) is http://oswd.org/ open source web design. You can browse through, pick a design you like and then download the code and edit it to suit your needs.

#11 bland_inquisitor

bland_inquisitor

mod -o- the day

• 729 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 07:08 PM

thanks yall... i'm using mozilla composer for right now. I will hand-roll my webpages in the future, i was just looking for a lazy way to throw up a placeholder. :wub:

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!