• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 tilded

tilded

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 05:58 PM

So I called up the closest radioshack and asked if they had any tone dialers, the lady was extremely helpful with her "What the hell is that?!" so I just hung up and called the next closest one, the dude said they quit carrying them.

I still want to pick one up, so I wanted to get your suggestions of where to buy one or order one online.

#2 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 08:20 PM

Dual carries around a little IC recorder with him that has the quarter tones produced by a redbox. I'm sure he'll confirm if doing it like this works or not :).

#3 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 08:33 PM

well, that is a recorder, not a tone dialer. They dont sell tone dialers anymore (legally) but you can build them with dircetions on the wbeb. But yes, either way, dual will know this for sure.

#4 tilded

tilded

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 08:39 PM

Oh, I didn't know they weren't legal anymore. I probably read it somewhere but the laws have been changing so much I probably dismissed it.

#5 W1nt3rmut3

W1nt3rmut3

Phreak Scout

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 321 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 10:28 PM

well, that is a recorder, not a tone dialer. They dont sell tone dialers anymore (legally) but you can build them with dircetions on the wbeb. But yes, either way, dual will know this for sure.

well legally, you can get tone dialers, they do exist. ebay is the best bet, but pricey. you will rarely find them at radio shacks, unless its one that is rarely trafficked (dual told me this one). it IS however illegal to have a redbox, aka a device which reproduces nickel, dime, and quarter tones that were and in some cases still are used to complete phone calls from payphones, but having a tone dialer to produce DTMF tones is not illegal.

#6 ic0n

ic0n

Fear teh phone!

• 1,213 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 11:35 PM

i know where you can get the crystal's for the tone dialer or at lease knew someone who had a bunch left.

phreakstore.com had tone dialers awhile ago for 5 bucks. I'm pretty sure they sold them or quit selling them. You can actully pick up tone dialers from rat hack only you got to order them, and they don't have any memory so you can't make it a red box. Even these newer tone dialers are hard to find and most rat shack pep don't even know they carry it.

looking threw the catalog i could'nt find the tone dialer i'm guessing that they discontinued these one's too.

#7 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 02:01 AM

The 33 memory DTMF dialers that radioshack used to carry and stoped doing so becuase people moded them for redboxing are the best to use.. they made several versions, what with trying to hide the internals as other stuff and all.. Right after they stoped making them I bought out all my local radio shacks and currently have a small stack of the mofos on my end table.. about 3 in all, unmodified as doing so would be a crime and all that.. however in there current state they work great for trying to remember numbers, although buying AAA's all the times sucks becuase of the bright red zenor diod they have on the top that does nothing but glow and suck off power when on... heh, to say I know them well is a understatement of sorts.

#8 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• 1,196 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 09:29 AM

Have a local Rat Shack search far and wide for these cat. nos...

43-146 - 33-Number Memory Pocket Tone Dialer
43-145A - Pocket Tone Dialer

#9 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 01:39 PM

On the radio shack computer system they will need to pull a "f-4" type search to find any in the local area that are not AT the store your in, doing so lets them look at the inventory of other local and semi-local radio shacks to see what they have in stock... just tell them to use f-4 if they ask you what type of search you want...

As for how I know this.. :ninja: :D

#10 tilded

tilded

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 07:16 PM

Stupid Radioshack, every one in this entire area is out of them. Bah....

#11 M_from_S

M_from_S

elite

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 03:31 PM

There are straight up tonedialers available on the net, but they just make the tones for 0 - 9, * and #. They do not generate the nickel, dime, quarter tones that a redbox is used for, and i presume that is what you are looking for. Perhaps someone could provide inforamtion on how to make the appropriate modifications if the crystals are available via Ic0n.

http://www.converseu.../ToneDialer.htm

http://www.loredec.com/geodialr.htm

http://www.allproduc...eworld/203.html

#12 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 04:47 PM

damn that geodial or the Smart Dialer *drools* those are tight!! to bad you need to order 500 of the smart dial. but both with keychains so they are readly accessable!! :D

#13 ic0n

ic0n

Fear teh phone!

• 1,213 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 05:34 PM

modding a tone dialer to a red box is pretty much pointless now since atnt is about to stop using coins for payment thus redboxing will be dead just like blueboxing. Altho if you live out in the middle of nowhere it might still work. as far i know redboxing does'nt work anymore in most if not every major city. I guess haveing one would be cool... today i was at a local store and a ameritech lineman came up to my car and was like wow nice car... so i decide i would ask him a bunch of questions. Anyway i told him i was in a college tech class and has to do a report on how something works. I told the lineman that i choose the telephone. He them told me that he could possible get me a tour of my local C.O. well i'm hope the dude will keep his word and hook me up.

#14 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 12:52 AM

While I was in seattle, I visited allot of the towns in that area like renton, redmond, duval and bellvue and the like.. in every town I was able to find a payphone that I could hear myself talk into as I picked up the phone.. so the headsets where not muted... even in seattle and microsoftie country.

#15 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

...and would you belive they let me play with 30TB!!!

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 06:11 PM

I got a tone dialer (raidio shack) off ebay for $2. Just for the hell of it. ^_^

#16 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 02:43 AM

I have a stack of the 33 memory ones here.. not sure what I would get for them on ebay though.

#17 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 05:33 AM

On EBAY... On ebay they could go for a buy it know option of like $9 each. Thats good (depending what you paid for them). :voteyes:

#18 Spaz101

Spaz101

Spaz is lame...

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 10:57 AM

oh myself i have just burned them onto a cd and it worked 1 time... well never try it any more i found seing much easier

#19 Y0ungBra1n

Y0ungBra1n

The floor is made of lava!

• 1,239 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 08:51 PM

or you could rip a tone dialer out of an old fone

#20 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 08:54 PM

but they aren't to compact. are they???

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!