• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Scheda

Scheda

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 12:03 AM

Ok, without blathering too much, I need to know of a server that hosts GCC's precompiled binary. I need it to be fast. Something that won't take 15 hours on a dsl...it took that long then my mom unplugged my computer from the modem at fucking 99%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I started it at about 10 o'clock at night, went to bed, got up the next morning, went to work, and I got home from work around 4:30 and was ready to kill someone. I've been trying to find a server that will go faster that 3k per second.... the only one i can find is ftp://ftp.thewrittenword.com/packages/by-name/ I need one for i686.

It needs to be precompiled because well...I don't have a compiler to use to compile it... I've been looking online and on my SuSe disk for almost a month now and have nothing so far. Please help me...

#2 rEph

rEph

mad 1337

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 05:18 AM

that's an ftp site :P , tried resuming the file ;-)?

and uh...why don't you have a C compiler...I think that's usually a base install inclusion...=\ I dunno a single distro that has no C compiler =\....that's just weird...

robf;

Edited by rEph, 25 November 2004 - 05:21 AM.

#3 Scheda

Scheda

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 11:26 AM

Yeah, I thought it was weird too, but I have spent right on a month now looking for it on Yast and everywhere else I can think of, and looking online for a fast server. Whatever... Maybe I'll just kill someone if they touch my computer while it's downloading. About the resuming...if you mena with download managers... I can't stand those things. However getting it back online and trying to let it go back by itself, yeah, let it sit for 3 hours. Didn't do a thing.

#4 LogosX

LogosX

rekcah-rebÜ

• Moderating Team
  • 728 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 11:53 AM

What version of SuSE are you running?
because SuSE 9.1 personal doesn't come with gcc

#5 pixelFiend

pixelFiend

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 12:00 PM

What version of SuSE are you running?
because SuSE 9.1 personal doesn't come with gcc

You're kidding... right? A Linux distro that doesn't offer a compiler for install?

Try Slack.

PF

#6 Scheda

Scheda

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 12:27 PM

HA! YES! A reason... yes. SuSe 9.1 Personal. But for now, I'm going for knoppix STD and XP until I can get a compiler. Knoppix a few of the programs I use, except since it's on cd, it's a tad slow for my tastes.

PF: I will try slackware, but not yet. I'm gonna be buying a semi-old box (if someone wants to sell me one I'll be game ina week or 3), and I'll put a distro on there, considering Fedora, Slack, or Debian. I'm gonna be using it as a server for a few different services. Mainly http, ftp, and Asterisk. I don't know how they run with slack, but if you know, feel free to let me know ;)

#7 rEph

rEph

mad 1337

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 12:45 PM

no no not a download manager...if you're downloading this using for example "IE" (booo) which doesn't support FTP resuming.... get a real (as real as w32 gets) FTP client...the MAJORITY of ftp servers support resuming... (this is the same method download managers use...it starts two streams telling the server you have half the file already, when you don't, and thus bringing two streams 1-50% and 50-100% ...using pseudo-resuming) anyhow try bpftp , or cuteftp, even the unregged shareware version will get you the ability to resume it...if yer using *nix command line ftp (a beast
indeed) , as long as the server accepts resumes (the VAST VAST MAJORITY DOES) ,
reget           get file restarting at end of local file
will do it for you..
I suggest: Don't use a client for downloading (ie for example) that does NOT save partial downloads...almost EVERY SINGLE (even the Microsoft included cmd line ftp) ftp client has downlown resuming support...so look into it...saves the hell out of having to restart huge downloads =)

robf;

that way, you can resume at 65% or whatever you get cut off at while you're gone...lotsa headaches saved..

Edited by rEph, 25 November 2004 - 12:47 PM.

#8 Scheda

Scheda

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 07:35 PM

Just for an update... I'm sick of this no compiler thing, so I'm switching to Slackware...

#9 Cr45 Du57

Cr45 Du57

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 619 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 08:07 PM

YaY! Ya, I used to use Fedora Core 2.... MAN WHAT A P.O.S., anyway ever since I switched to slack 10 everything just works... no rpms... no crap dependency loops, anyone that has used rpm's knows what I'm talking about, anyway in the end slack 10 just works and Im glad you switched and I hope you benifit from it like I did... I WILL NEVER USE ANOTHER DISTRO! ;) ok maybe gentoo in the future....

-cr45 du57

#10 pixelFiend

pixelFiend

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 11:12 PM

Scheda: I'm running Asterisk on Slack 10, all command line, and it's great. The machine is dedicated to Asterisk and runs a P3 650 with 256 Mb RAM.

I've also dedicated a machine to learning Gentoo and have plans to use it as an everyday desktop machine. So far, so good, and I like it a lot, but I'm still running into problems, mainly because I haven't spent enough time with it.

As much as I like portage, and it's drop dead convenient, I really appreciate how simple, logical and, what's the word I'm looking for... direct? Slackware is.

PF

#11 Scheda

Scheda

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 02:00 AM

Thanks PF for the asterisk info, was looking for some stuff like that. My switch isn't going to be for a few days though. :glare: I've gotta download all the 4 disks and well, let's just say that that's gonna take a while cause I can't be connected to the internet long enough to download a whole disk at a time. Not getting into that now, but it'll be a few days until I get them all downloaded. I'll be driving down to FL next friday to get my car, so perhaps I'll use that time to install slack on my laptop and set it up for dual booting w/ XP like I'm doing now.

Edited by Scheda, 26 November 2004 - 02:02 AM.

#12 LogosX

LogosX

rekcah-rebÜ

• Moderating Team
  • 728 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 03:36 AM

You only need the first two disks for slack.
The second two have sources that you don't need for the install.

#13 pixelFiend

pixelFiend

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 07:41 AM

You only need the first two disks for slack.
The second two have sources that you don't need for the install.

Ya beat me to it, LogosX. :)

In fact, depending on what you want to install, you may not even need disk 2. I'll post what packages are on disk 2 later and you can check them against the Slack site to see if you need anything on them. I can't remember if it's Gnome or KDE or both, but if you're going with a non-GUI install you probably only need the first disk. Check out the Slackware package browser here for more info.

PF

#14 Scheda

Scheda

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 10:39 AM

Well, I must say, thank you very much. That information will be VERY helpful. I'll try to find a download to let me download disk 2 today a hell of a lot faster than isk one was on bittorent and if that get's done, I'll set it up today. One question though. I should be able to just let Slack format and reinstall my linux partition and Grub will recognize it as the linux one w/o a problem. Correct?

#15 A.D.D.

A.D.D.

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 01:15 PM

Slack uses LILO by default. If you choose not to install it and use grub instead, hopefully you can keep grub installed on another partition than the one you put slack on. Good luck! I've installed Slack on 5 different types of machines and they all work right away, it's my fav.

#16 LogosX

LogosX

rekcah-rebÜ

• Moderating Team
  • 728 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 01:28 PM

Slack will recognize all linux and linux swap partitions on your drive and it will ask if you want to format them.
LILO will auto detect slack and windows

#17 Scheda

Scheda

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 03:46 PM

Awesome, I don't really care if I use LILO or Grub, as long as I can dual boot...which is why they are there ;) So yeah, thanks a lot people.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!