StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 05:27 PM

from the AP press

OCTOBER 10, 21:17 ET
Microsoft Warns on E-Mail Security

REDMOND, Wash. (AP) — Microsoft Corp. disclosed a security flaw Thursday of ``critical'' severity in its Outlook Express e-mail programs.

The flaw, which affects the free e-mail software bundled in Microsoft's Internet Explorer Web browser, could allow attackers to crash the e-mail program or to potentially take over the user's machine.

The flaw does not affect Microsoft Outlook, the e-mail program included in the Office suite of business software.

Users who downloaded the ``service packs'' for either Windows XP or Internet Explorer 6.0 are already protected against an attack, the company said. Others were advised to download the patch.

The security bulletin is the Redmond-based company's 58th this year.

#2 Evo_Tech

Evo_Tech

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 10:26 PM

:omfg: 58th!!! :omfg:

...i'm not even sure why it is I'm suprised anymore.... the penguin just keeps lookin' better an' better.....

#3 paracord

paracord

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 05:14 AM

When will the general public realize that this isn't "normal"? I see on other non-tech boards with people discussing the latest virus or exploit like it's normal, one person will bring it up and the others will scurry around telling thier tales of how it destroyed thier box or how the mighty antivirus software caught it right before they opened the attachment and think WTF?
I think it's assumed by most of the populous that that's just the way computers work, that it's just a fact of life that you have to constantly update definitions for virus scanners or download various patches. It's pretty much just a M$ thing, obviously most software will have bugs and holes etc but not to this extent. I'm sitting here in front of one of my macs running OS X and have downloaded mabye 4-5 security patches over the course of the OS's lifetime! So i don't know, i guess windows is needed by some people and just accepted by the others but it just dosen't make sense to me.

:pissright:M$:pissleft:

(edited for monkeys)

#4 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 09:10 AM

It is good to see the monkey brothers at work!

But in (some) defense of M$, they get the most vulnerabilities because 90%+ people use their products and they are the largest target. The simple fact that everyone has time to look at it and hack away at it means it will by definition be attacked more.

I am not justifying some of the stupid problems they have, but sheer numbers can be misleading sometimes. After all, 95.6% of statistics are made up. :o ;)

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!