• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kondor

kondor

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 09:18 PM

Some people might already know this, but I just found out (i always seem to be a little slow on events). When I screwed up on something I decided to just do a new install, I remembered that I let someone have my Debian 3.0 cd that rax gave me and I had to get a new iso. I went to download the iso and I saw that in the net install download area (http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/), it said " Official net install images for the 'testing' releaseThe images are only intended for testing the new installer for sarge. The installer is still under development, so the installation may fail.". I wanted to try it so I downloaded it and installed it on my 2nd computer to test, and I am sitting here with it and it is very different from what I expected, but I LIKE IT. The entire installation process is done in text, not ncurses like before, or not like x11 like I expected (they did, rather are doing that in woody.). It seems to have a freeBSD feel to it. All the selections are done by a menu system (choose 1 if you want this 2 ...) The only thing I don't like is that they do not have a choice to install the 2.4 kernel only the 2.2, which I am sure will change soon (also I am using the net installer not the full). If you want you can try it out for yourself, I like it because it kinda keeps with the Debian tradition, difficulty to install for new people, yet it has the complexity that an expert needs, or something like that. :voteyes:

#2 JHVH-1

JHVH-1

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 09:54 AM

I used the PGI installer to do both my current desktop and my windows machine dual boot. It detects all the hardware for ya, uses kernel 2.4, has an X gui by default which you can turn off if you want, and is only a 90MB iso cause it grabs everything from the net. It also installs the whole system base and starts it up without rebooting the machine which I thought was cool.

Another thing that was cool is that while the packages were being installed I could ctrl-alt-F1 and open up a shell to start ssh and get on IRC!

#3 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 03:32 AM

Another thing that was cool is that while the packages were being installed I could ctrl-alt-F1 and open up a shell to start ssh and get on IRC!

Ya.. from root I bet, right? not a good idea anyway you look at it, I hope you created a dummy account to su into for that.. then again I could just be paranoid - Then again, paranoia in security is a good thing, is it not? B)

The debian net install is nice, but I would be using 3.1 right now.. Sure saves on having to download and burn the SEVEN CD SET ;)

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!