Just found this interesting site Intensegeek.com

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nick84

nick84

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 08:59 AM

I just came across this site http://www.intensegeek.com which doesn’t seem to have officially launched yet, but if you try something like adding “/news” on the end of the url such as http://www.intensegeek.com/news/ - you can get a preview of what it will look like. :)

Also they seem to have a forum set up at
http://www.intensege...n/forum/phpBB2/
which I would assume is open for anyone, to sign up and become a member as it is on the web with no password protection etc on accessing it.
^_^

#2 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 11:07 PM

yeah, but listen to this whining bullshit in their commentary section...

http://www.intensege.../1023343200.php

Listen, content on the internet has ALWAYS BEEN FREE from day 1!!! Back in the day it was all hobbyists and hakkers and gamers who developed the internet using their access from educational facilties. It was all about education, sharing the knowledge, and FREE CONTENT! All these new motherfukkers don't seem to understand that!!! They all think that they can turn on a web site and get rich, then they whine and cry that they don't make any money because we use AD BLOCKING software!

Well fukk that! I don't use ad blocking software personally, but I support the idea! Ads have become so invasive and so overpowering that it has crossed a line from a mildly annoying banner ad, to a privacy invading, cookie generated, centrally sent ad customized to my supposed "profile" that uses whatever technology iot can detect on my system to take control of it and force the ad down my throat?!?!

Tell me something: What is the difference between: 1) a web page hijacking my browser window with pop-ups that don't go away and JAVA based ads that refuse to close or be moved, and 2) a VIRUS!?!?!

Here's a quarter you whining crybaby bitch! I mean you Dennis Gaskill! Go call someone who cares!

#3 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 11:34 PM

I posted to their message board my thoughts on the article above.

http://www.intensege...0d92f40f3486#45

In case the link doesn't work, I have pasted it below:

This is not a flame, but a disagreement in principle. I am not "flaming" or insulting anyone. I just disagree.  

---

To: Dennis Gaskill

Re: http://www.intensege.../1023343200.php

Content on the internet has ALWAYS BEEN FREE from day 1. Back in the early days educational facilties built up the internet. It was all about education, sharing the knowledge, and FREE CONTENT! Students and hobbyists created sites to share their research, their hobbies, and even such frivolity as games and humor.

Now, people come along and try to turn a quick buck by putting up stolen, old, or useless content and then whine when they don't make money because "their ads get blocked". Maybe if the ads weren't privacy intruding, browser jacking VIRII then people would not block them! Banner ads are fine. Ad blocking software came about because of the numerous POP-UP, POP-UNDER, POP-AWAY, and HIDDEN ads that interfere with your navigation of the site anyway.

Every single business on the internet can disappear tomorrow. Seriously, it could! And the internet would continue to live on without them. Imagine that! The internet doesn't revolve around e-commerce. The problem is that people don't understand that for every site that pops up and wants to charge for content, another pops up giving FREE content! All of the NEWS sites were expiramenting with charging its customers for online news. Then sites like SLASHDOT made them realize that they were going to FAIL and lose customers if they did that.

Don't blame the consumers. That is bad business practice, and causes resentment.

To paraphrasea line from Field of Dreams, "If you build it, they will come. If you charge for it, someone else will build it better, and they will leave."

Oh, and for the record, I DO NOT USE ad blocking software. My attitude is that if a site bombards me with an unacceptable number of overly intrusive ads, then I simply will not return to that site ANYWAY! Which is the REAL REASON why "your favorite sites disappear ".

---

Respectfully submitted,

StankDawg@hotmail.com

And no, I am not registering.

#4 nick84

nick84

• 1,680 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 08:42 AM

It took me a while to get my head around that article, but I can say I think I agree with you. However im not sure if advertising etc is always done to “turn a quick buck” sometimes its about covering costs. I’ve certainly seen a few site’s close down, because they have become too popular, and something which was their owners hobby has turned into an expense that they are not willing to pay for in terms of bandwidth etc.

(Nice quote by the way)

#5 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 11:31 PM

ROTFL!!!!

look at their response...

Damn Ray, we need him on the staff. =P

:blankakill:

#6 GUEST_Matt Woller_***

GUEST_Matt Woller_***
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2002 - 08:29 PM

Hey, that's why it's called "criticism"... feel free to harass any of my co-workers, but be warned.... insulting my peers is MY job, you slut! =P

#7 nick84

nick84

• 1,680 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 03:28 AM

Hey, that's why it's called "criticism"... feel free to harass any of my co-workers, but be warned.... insulting my peers is MY job, you slut! =P

-_-

#8 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 09:04 AM

Insulting the world in general is my job, so there appears to be some overlapping of duties. :ninja:

#9 Matt Woller

Matt Woller

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 10:59 AM

Ok, let's make a deal, you get to insult any iG staff members, with the exception of James Fintel and Raymond Angel, they're mine! =P

#10 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 01:06 PM

Ok, let's make a deal, you get to insult any iG staff members, with the exception of James Fintel and Raymond Angel, they're mine! =P

lol... ok, Deal. Now, when do I get my paycheck? ;) :P

#11 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 01:10 PM

oh, and by the way... Because you were respectful of my views, I will show you equal respect. you came over and took the critism like a man (even though it wasn't directed at you) and even laughed at it, and I do respect that.

I lied in my post, I will go sign up at your board. I think you deserve that.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!