• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 10:04 AM

WOOT slack 9 is out!! time for an upgrade, hmm, I wonder if its worth to upgrade from 8.1 to 9.0 I'll prolly wait for a .1 release. what do u guys think?

#2 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• 1,196 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 10:26 AM

I say go for it - it might be a while before 9.1.

#3 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 10:46 AM

yeah, the thing that would deter me from upgrading is the fact that it took me a while till I got my current system up and running, I wouldnt like to go thru it again, but hey, if it works its worth it, I think Im gonna go for it. I wonder if this kernel supports my vt8235 onboard soundcard, my current kernel 2.3.18 doesn't suport it, and I am using the trial oss drivers that work but shut off after 20 minutes of running, now I can;t listen to rfa dammit.....

I'm gonna wait for the iso to come out tho, can't be more than a couple of weeks

#4 BoBB

BoBB

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 01:51 PM

Why are you using an outdated development kernel?

#5 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 01:58 PM

I installed slack 8.1 just 2 weeks ago, and I knew 9 was coming out, so I just left the kernel that I installed with. I knew I would be upgrading somewhere in the next three months, so I thought it wouldn.t matter for a couple of months.
I also am a noob, and don't know if I can handle a kernel upgrade....i'll learn how to do it pretty soon tho.

#6 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 05:58 PM

Heh think that was just a typo BoBB.

With the upgrade you'll just get the updated stable packages and a few security fixes :voteyes: .

I checked the 2.4.20 (the kernel that comes with slack 9.0) changelog for you and the vt8235 is supported.

The suggested upgrade method for a slackware system is to backup what you need (/etc /home and /var if you're so inclined) and then install from scratch. I have a partition (or did until I sold my laptop) called /backup where I kept that stuff.

Keep on slackin'.

#7 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 06:05 PM

hey thanks for checkin that out for me feend,
and yeah, that was a typo, I meant 2.4.18, sorry bobb...
I'm gonna backup my root directory since that's where I keep all my shit, and all the tarballs from everything i've downloaded and installed. I'm gonna wait for the iso to come out tho, puttin all that crap on a cd is to hard for my (still) windows oriented brain....until I become more self reliant im gonna use the iso :roll:

#8 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 10:41 PM

silly me, there is an iso out :blush:
well, Im gettin it right now, and next weekend it's upgrade time!!!!
I'm gonna back up my XF86Config file as well as other stuff, like my samba.conf file, if Im lucky I'll be able to pop those in and be all right. I think it's gonna be easier to set up, now that I have some experience with it.

#9 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 11:24 PM

Hmm I checked with one of my favorite mirrors and it looks like that is an unofficial iso.

Installing from a partition on disk is really easy if you'd rather do it that way.

#10 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 11:27 PM

I'm gonna wait till next weekend, if no official iso comes out, I'm just installing this one from scratch, the worst is I'm gonna end up using 8.1 again till an official iso comes out.
on a sidenote I read that the included gcc (3.2.2) is very improved on every aspect but most of all on the C++ compiling, that being my programming laguage of choice (im learning it, well trying to, right now), that is a good reason for me to upgrade...

I'm also gonna leave 5 gigs of free space for longhorn wanna see what billy's cookin next.

#11 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 01:10 AM

Whoops I guess my favorite mirror isn't as up to date as I thought.

there is an official slack9 iso available here.

ftp://ftp.kpn.be/pub/linux/slackware/slac...9.0-install.iso

#12 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 08:32 AM

you can find like 5 links on linuxiso.org that's where I got it from.

how do I know if it's the official iso or not??

#13 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 02:27 PM

Slackware has a listing of the official mirrors.

The best way to tell is to grab the MD5 text file that comes with the iso. Then after you are done downloading the iso run md5sum against it and see if it matches the text file.

I'm almost positive that LinuxISO is supplying "official" images but since I always use the mirror I mentioned before (has everything, almost never has a 530 error, and is fast) I can't say for sure.

#14 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 03:00 PM

thanks man, I'll do that.

#15 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 03:24 AM

If only for the fact that the new software has more to it, upgrading is always a good idea.. besides, you dont want to get owned for having a out of date and insecure install, do ya? ;)

#16 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 03:31 PM

I am running slack 9 right now and quite frankly........it kicks 455

#17 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 03:43 PM

Slack has and always will be the more RTFM distro of the nix world.. heh

#18 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 03:55 PM

thats why I love it, u learn shit ny doing shit

#19 decifer

decifer

mad 1337

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 10:03 PM

i learned lto use linux on slack7.0 ... now running slack9 and i cant see changing at all ... i love slack... gentoo is the only distro that i can see competing with slack... but i'm just a slack kinda guy

#20 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 10:07 PM

I just finished configuring samba on slack 9, and i had to manually edit the samba.conf file, after i did all this I found out why swt wasnt working......but still it gives me a great feeling of accomplishment.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!