• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 10:26 PM

I just got the trial version from their site and the installation goes pretty smoothly, up untill it asks me where my init directories are (rc0.d to rc6.d) I know from online sources they should be in the /etc directory but they're not, I also have slackware 8.1 (might help to pinpoint where these folders went) any suggestions??

#2 kondor

kondor

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 11:53 PM

>I just got the trial version from their site and the installation goes pretty smoothly,
I hope my question is not a stupid one like the last (on linux or windows) but what trial version?

#3 BoBB

BoBB

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 10:49 AM

VMWare offers a 30-90 day trial version. And your init scripts are probably in /etc/rc.d/ or something like that, im not sure how slackware handles init scripts but it could also be in /etc/init.d/

#4 BoBB

BoBB

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 10:50 AM

Actually its not a "trial version" its a trial liscence for the full version.

#5 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 03:56 PM

yeah, its the trial license, the program is full-version, but the license expires in a month. First of all, I only have rc.0 rc.4 and rc.6 in my /etc/rd.0 directory, they're not rc0.d rc4.d and rc6.d (they're supposed to be like that), and I don't have an init.d directory, and yeah, I do have show hidden folders enabled. so where the f*ck could they be??

I also did a search for any file with rc in the name, and it came up with nothing, even tho I have the above mentioned files.

#6 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 05:03 PM

What exactly are you supposed to be doing with the init scripts?

I've been away from slackware for way too long now so without seeing the directory It's hard for me to say for sure.

/etc/rc.d should be the directory for all your run command scripts instead of breaking it up into directories for different runlevels like other distributions will do. You might just want to try putting whatever little shell script they have in the documentation in rc.6 (just append it to the end).

If all the binaries and libs are there you can try running it just to see if it'll work. The rc scripts just makes sure it starts when the machine is booted.

#7 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 05:43 PM

I tried running it and it tells me its not "properly configurated, run the vmware-install.pl" and that just starts the install again, and of course it all goes well, until the init part
I have no idea what its supposed to do with them, it just asks me for the directory where these files are at, and I have no idea of that....

#8 BoBB

BoBB

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 06:03 PM

yeah, its the trial license, the program is full-version, but the license expires in a month. First of all, I only have rc.0 rc.4 and rc.6 in my /etc/rd.0 directory, they're not rc0.d rc4.d and rc6.d (they're supposed to be like that), and I don't have an init.d directory, and yeah, I do have show hidden folders enabled. so where the f*ck could they be??

I also did a search for any file with rc in the name, and it came up with nothing, even tho I have the above mentioned files.

You don't have to have each runlevel populated with something. And most likely the rc.0, rc.4, and rc.6 are files with symlinks to the actual init scripts. You should be able to tell where the init scripts are from that. Oh and your init scripts are supossed to be however your distro wants them to be :P I've never seen 2 distro's handle them the same way.

#9 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 06:06 PM

well, trial and error usually work :warrior:

#10 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 06:37 PM

ok, well I made some dummy files in my /etc directory so vmware could install happily, and it works, now I need to run the vmware-config.pl script to configure the damn thing, but I get an error that it can't stop the vmware services that are running, but there are no vmware services running, I killed them and checked with top to see if anything vmware related was running, and there was nothing there, weird, what impressions do you guys have about wine?? :)

u know what screw vmware, im goin for open source all the way, im gettin wine baby!!!!!

#11 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 07:43 PM

apparently, I cant get wine installed either!! I do ./configure make depend when I do make it goes on forever with the same damn error over and fukkin over:
shlview.c:1790: warning: pointer of type `void *' used in arithmetic

and there is another one it sticks in there occasionally:
/usr/include/bits/string2.h:436: warning: pointer of type `void *' used in arithmetic
which is not exaclty the same, as you can see......
wtf is goin on??? btw this is the tarball not the rpm....

#12 BoBB

BoBB

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 08:25 PM

Those are just warnings, they shouldn't keep it from compiling and are not that big of a deal. Just bad coding, I see that everywhere, stuff like mozilla, java, all the really huge programs, I assume its a time saver that doesn't really affect anything.

#13 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 09:36 PM

hmmm, kay, I'll let it sit and install the thing....

#14 Zapperlink

Zapperlink

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• 951 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 03:24 AM

Big advice for those installing vmware on linux. KEEP YOUR KERNEL SOURCES!!!.... you will find out what I mean if you dont have them and you run into this issue.

#15 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 03:12 AM

Wine needs a winho partion to use I belive, and Slack uses a not-exactly-standard setup.. creating dummy files can be helpfull, but then again symlinking your file structure can as well.. then again it always helps to read the docs, that may help you.

#16 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 03:29 PM

I finally gave up on emulation, to much of a hassle, I just installed some windaz on a 6 gig partition.

#17 decifer

decifer

mad 1337

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 10:08 PM

i have run and installed vmware several times in slackware and this is the site i go by:

http://www.cs.ucr.ed...yrne/vmware.htm

follow that and it will install and run smoothly.

#18 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 10:17 PM

I might actually try it just for the hell of it, I know im better off with just a separate install, because its faster, but maybe i'll give it another wirl...

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!