• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 M_from_S

M_from_S

elite

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 01:11 AM

I don't feel so bad about asking this now that i've read the Redhat WiFi thread that bland_inquisitor posted.

I'm a linux noobie for sure. I'm reading, experimenting and plodding along. Here is my question for anyone - i believe the install was successful but when the GUI starts i get the following error message

"Could not look up internet address for xx-x-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx. (my MAC address) This will prevent gnome from operating correctly. It may be possible to correct teh problem by adding xx-x-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx to the file /etc/hosts."

I have a cable modem and Redhat 8.0. Since i'm new to this i can't tell what is not "operating correctly." IMozilla works fine, that is what i'm using right now. I'm want to know how to get rid of that message. What exactly would i add the the /etc/hosts file? The MAC address? Something to allow dynamic IP addresses?

#2 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 05:42 AM

Hmm I've got that before. It shouldn't be referring to your MAC address though :blink:

edit /etc/hosts and you will probably see something like:

127.0.0.1[TAB]localhost[TAB]localhost.my.domain

GNOME is tripping up on the "localhost.my.domain" part. Like say I named my machine "smackdatass" and that I use cox.net I would change the line above to look like:

127.0.0.1[TAB]smackdatass[TAB]smackdatass.ph.cox.net

just replace that with your information and hopefully GNOME will stop bitching at you :).

-Edit-
The board doesn't like me using whitespace so I'll put [TAB] in the above examples

#3 M_from_S

M_from_S

elite

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 12:10 AM

So i fixed the error message at the gnome startup. But i couldn't figure out how to rename my computer to something simply so it had to look like this -

127.0.0.1 xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx.xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx.net

How does one rename your linux box? I don't think Redhat asked for a computer name at startup so i don't know where that alphanumeric name came from.

#4 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 01:19 AM

look at /etc/hostname/

#5 kondor

kondor

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 09:40 AM

or just issue the command hostname
# hostname *****

#6 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 10:21 PM

If you use DHCP, you'll get your hostname from your ISP.

#7 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 03:34 AM

Sometimes Gnome will complain if your /etc/hosts doesnt include the info it wants.. then again thats already been said.. did you try it anyway?

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!