• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 09:43 AM

would it be possible for you to post something like that CableGuy?

I'm sure it's possible.

I've got Saturday off, I think. I'll try to organize my thoughts about cracking your cable box tonight and stick them in a nice howto, along with some technical information and documents that I have accumulated over the years.

CableGuy

rock the fuck on dude! thank you... i have a manual for installation of cable with a brief explanation of traps. now for cracking open your cable box are you saying within your house or outside?

#22 SUB-S0NIX

SUB-S0NIX

!Pee-Wee Pimpin!

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 05:44 PM

im thinking he is saying inside.. cuase what is there to crack out side besides enableing cable and removing filters... but what can really be done when HACKING your cable box... i know my digital box has modem access to it... i know it dials out when wanting to order a PPV show... ima try to set it up tonight too a phone line and then run some phone line tapping software and see if i can decode the DTMF tones that it dials so i know where its dialing to.. maybe another modem or the same # u dial when u wanna order PPV manually... too bad there isnt a way i could network the box to my comp and sniff the packets or data... hmm i dunno but im looking forward to that tutorial or manual...

and twirlz i woudlnt mind a copy of the manual u have if possible? ;)

#23 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 07:57 PM

and twirlz i woudlnt mind a copy of the manual u have if possible? ;)

that should be fun... typeing it out cuz i don't have a scanner that works!
i should be able to type it out over the weekend, however there will be no pics to it then! maybe i can find a scanner that i can use for the night from a co worker or something.

#24 SUB-S0NIX

SUB-S0NIX

!Pee-Wee Pimpin!

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 08:08 PM

oh geez man ok then ill really appreiciate it.. but where u get the manual? u order it? maybe i can steal one or order one so u wont have to type...

#25 SUB-S0NIX

SUB-S0NIX

!Pee-Wee Pimpin!

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 12:17 AM

Ok here are some filter pics :ninja:

these are 3 filters i got right now the very top one i know for sure is a negative filter... it blocks channel 36 and up in my area... the next 2 are the same size and had no negative effect when i applied them to my cable line.. i even checked my signal strenght on channel 80 and nothing changed.. i was hoping cableguy could identify the labels or code on the 3 filters.. here are the pics...

All 3 filters...
Posted Image

Smaller filters Code label
Posted Image

Larger Negative filters code label..
Posted Image

#26 Crimson_Binome

Crimson_Binome

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 01:24 AM

I thought nowadays the companies used less physical filtering and more things along the line of using software to decide which signals are to be transmitted...or would that too complicated?

#27 SUB-S0NIX

SUB-S0NIX

!Pee-Wee Pimpin!

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 01:54 AM

im not really sure.. but in a way it would be less exspensive with physical filtering... but with software and such it would cost more having such a network.. i know in some states comcast is upgrading to this set up but i think it will be a couple of years before comcast hits up where im at.. :wacko:

#28 CableGuy

CableGuy

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 03:07 AM

I thought nowadays the companies used less physical filtering and more things along the line of using software to decide which signals are to be transmitted...or would that too complicated?

A lot of companies are migrating to the "software" controlled network. There are two types of disconnects -- soft and hard.

A soft disconnect is when cable can be disconnected at someone's house via software. A hard disconnect is when they roll a truck to your location to physically take you off of the network.

I'm not sure about other places, but here, the cost of rolling a truck is around $108 per call, if you include insurance, benefits, gas, maintenance (so on, so forth).

You have products like this that can hit or deact an account in software, and they make similar versions for MDU's (Multi-Dwelling Units, a/k/a apartment buildings), that only cost around $50 per port.

However, the cost is immense, unless you're in a heavily populated urban area. When you're in areas like that, rolling out a new network is rather cheap, compaired to a HFC plant in the boon-docks, which is why these are great for college campuses and the like...when you've got a great deal of people disconnecting and reconnecting at various times.

By the way, the link that is up there, arcom labs, are the people who make filters for the cable industry. If you go poking around their web page, they have a lot of interesting products and technical information around. (I didn't see anything specific from the filters that you have on there--it's quite possible you've got a pancake filter (used to disable return path frequencies with your negative filter).

CableGuy

Edited by CableGuy, 25 September 2004 - 03:11 AM.

#29 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 08:09 AM

oh geez man ok then ill really appreiciate it.. but where u get the manual? u order it? maybe i can steal one or order one so u wont have to type...

i took it from a van close to my old apartment where they had a contract station with tons of vans out back.

it should be no problem to type it out. i'll be working on that tonight!

#30 SUB-S0NIX

SUB-S0NIX

!Pee-Wee Pimpin!

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 08:29 PM

:o oh sweet.. i tried searching up arcom filters and didnt find there site.. nice... ima read up on every thing they got... and one thing that has been skipping my mind but its totally on this subject... do those online so called cable descramblers really work? and what do they do? any one got one?

#31 CableGuy

CableGuy

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 12:15 PM

:o oh sweet.. i tried searching up arcom filters and didnt find there site.. nice... ima read up on every thing they got... and one thing that has been skipping my mind but its totally on this subject... do those online so called cable descramblers really work? and what do they do? any one got one?

There are two types of systems: analog and digital.

Analog descramblers (the most popular type of descrambler) are the most common. As long as you know what you're doing, they will work.

Digital Boxes...now, that's a complete different story. They work in the same way as DOCSIS in pulling an ip address, however, the cable box talks to CSG or ICOMS to determine what specific channels you should be getting, and then set up an 'access table' inside the box. Then, the cable company can poll your box using snmp to verify that it still has the correct settings.

Ironically enough, there's something called the "Non-Responder List" that gets generated every week of active accounts that we haven't seen their digital box online. The problem with those cheap filters they used to try and prevent PPV charges, was that they kept the purchases in the box--and the headend tried to retrieve them, but never heard back from the box....causing your box to hit the NRL....and usually they'll roll a truck automatically for NRL's (every wednesday)

CableGuy

#32 SUB-S0NIX

SUB-S0NIX

!Pee-Wee Pimpin!

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 10:03 PM

Hmm... so the boxes are networked... and those filters are for analog service.. like basic cable... I think ima go buy one a cable box like u said from a thrift store if they got any and tweak and munk around with it see what i can do.. to bad i cant like actually network it to my comp and sniff what its sending to the headend...

And these NRL boxes... basically im getting that u get the box to get the channe but never repond back again kinda to get charged for what u ordered? and if a truck does roll.. what will they do? and how is that possible to make your box not respond back?

Edited by SUB-S0NIX, 27 September 2004 - 10:07 PM.

#33 SUB-S0NIX

SUB-S0NIX

!Pee-Wee Pimpin!

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 12:55 AM

:blush: cableguy i should of asked you a while back but u got a e-mail or a sn so i can communicate with you faster if you want to? if u dunt wanna post it on the boards IM me on aim at ********8 .. ;)

Edited by SUB-S0NIX, 09 October 2007 - 06:16 PM.

#34 SUB-S0NIX

SUB-S0NIX

!Pee-Wee Pimpin!

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 11:54 PM

Yo this thread is some what dead but if any of you were wondering what the head end addressable control system looked like most cable companies got a DAC 6000 set up by motorola...

http://www.cablenetw...s/DAC6000-1.jpg

and check out the other devices that are used im geussing too with cable and all its shit..

http://www.cablenetw...products/he.asp

but any ways my main question i had for any one who has some knowledge on these things is ( look at the pic)
http://www.cablenetw.../BTNM75SH-1.jpg

i know the cable network they got out here goes from phiber to coaxile... what can be done to these things? any damage or some thing that could cause confusion to phiber ? im just curious on how they work cuz ive never had any expierence with phiber optiks... :grr:

#35 Comcast Tech

Comcast Tech

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 09:50 PM

That last pic is of an amplifier. These are usually located on the telephone poles near the tap and are also seen every few poles on long runs. This is to keep the signal at the proper measurement as it moves down the line.

#36 lkingboli

lkingboli

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:22 AM

i bought a comcast cable box from ebay and when i connected to he tv nothin happend so i went to menu and it said to wait five minutes i waited but nothing happen and i went to setup it said
disconnect: yes and other stuff like IPPV:no do you know how i can change it to disconnect:NO thank you i have comcast cable but the only extra channel i get is (14) HBO

#37 DeadlyBSD

DeadlyBSD

Troll

• Banned
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 05:11 PM

This is awesome!

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!