• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 05:40 PM

As many of you know through IM drops, my aDSL has been acting flaky lately. I am not being rude and hanging up on people, I was dropping offline (I apologize again).

I use BellSouth aDSL through an ALCATEL USB modem. It hooks to a crappy AMDK6-2/300Mhz/128RAM/XP box whose only job is to SHARE the device and let my other real PCs share/connect through it.

My setup, if anyone cared:

http://www.stankdawg...index_jpg_1.htm

(It has a great interface running locally, but the damn thing wont work when i upload it. The link was changed to point to the plain JPG version)

NOW maybe I can get some work done again!

#2 Bi0s

Bi0s

Gibson Hacker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 07:15 PM

w0w....3 copies of winXP i bet that was expensive :lol:

it looks good. i like the diagram. cool

#3 nick84

nick84

• 1,680 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 07:22 PM

That’s certainly good, news :)

Nice diagram also by the way!

Well, I haven’t got any fancy network diagram software, so here’s my attempt in publisher: :P

http://network_diagram.gif

#4 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 11:21 PM

w0w....3 copies of winXP i bet that was expensive  :lol:

oh yeah, that XP is some expensive shit! Luckily mine was all preinstalled! (That is my story and I am sticking to it!!!) ;) :yoink:

it looks good. i like the diagram. cool

And the diagram was done with MS VISIO 2002 :borg: (also an expensive program that I made at work *cough-cough*). It exported to an interactive page where you could hover over the individual parts and get even more 411 about each item. It works fine locally, but would not execute on the server. :(

#5 Evo_Tech

Evo_Tech

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 11:32 PM

hmmmm... come to think of it... ALL this softw4re was installed on my box as well... what a coincidence..... :blink: :unsure: :blink:

I feel thy pain on the shitty connections however. My cable was crapping out on me every damn time I logged on. I'd have to power-cycle the damn modem several times before it would connect, and then I had a damn 10 minute window before I would get kicked off anyway!

.argh.

...but, low, through much bitching to cable company, i have now recieved a new modem.

and thus all is well in ev0 land.

#6 W1nt3rmut3

W1nt3rmut3

Phreak Scout

• 321 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 10:54 AM

i made one of my house, in visio 2k
Posted Image

#7 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 11:36 PM

I had been wanting to do a network diagram for my setup for a long time. People ask me and it is hard to explain, so I am glad I finally did it. Did you guys already have these made up? Or did you just do them after my post?

#8 W1nt3rmut3

W1nt3rmut3

Phreak Scout

• 321 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 12:51 AM

being bored = i made it right then and there.

#9 nick84

nick84

• 1,680 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 08:17 AM

I made mine right “then and there” also :D
Who could resist the opportunity to show off their network? :wacko:

(BTW A couple of those machines on my diagram don’t have screens such as my server etc)

#10 holy_handgrenade

holy_handgrenade

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 02:27 PM

StankDawg, Those usb dsl modems kinda suck.

I used to work for a company that resold the Bellsouth DSL doing "Broadband Installation Support". The usb modems tend to be rather flaky. I'd suggest going with an ethernet router/modem - you *should* be able to have BS rma you an ethernet modem.

#11 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 03:07 PM

dude, that would be Sooooooo sweet to get a new one. I tried once with BS support quickly to get a new one, but they wanted to charge me 100 bux. Funk that!

I have a friend who still has their old equipment (If you are familiar, you might know the green alcatel "stingray") and I will try it. If it works, then I can claim it was the modem itself, but I am still leaning towards it being the shitty box that it runs on and the drivers for XP.

You got any friends/connections there to rma me a new ethernet one? ;)

The next step might be to get one of the DSL/Cable routers and go wireless. But the DSL line in is not RJ45, so I may still have to pay BS to come out and change that. :(

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!