• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 07:56 PM

I have heard that it is possible to setup file sharing with Windows when running on a Linux platform, but how can i do that?

Thanks!

#2 BoBB

BoBB

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 08:23 PM

Look into using samba. It will let you share your linux drives with windows and you can mount windows shares via the smb file system over a network to your linux box from a windows box.

#3 nick84

nick84

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 08:51 AM

or you could set up an ftp server and do it that way.

#4 JHVH-1

JHVH-1

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 04:42 PM

I have a web server on my machine that I use since I don't want to bother with sambe just to grab some files off another box. Thing thats nice about it is I can symlink my downloads directory so I don't even have to move any files, just go to the right URL on the other box.

I was using winscp for a while since I had sshd set up anyway, and that worked alright but http is faster.

#5 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 04:54 PM

When i try to configure samba it just comes with this error:

The connection was refused when attempting to contact 127.0.0.1:901

I am using Red Hat 8.0 and i find it under: extras - server settings - samba configuration.
How can i configure it? :help:

#6 W1nt3rmut3

W1nt3rmut3

Phreak Scout

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 321 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 06:19 PM

are you on your network? do u get internet access? i ask b/c 127.0.0.1 is loopback, aka an address for your computer. try this command at a terminal

smbclient -L //<ipaddress of a computer u want to connect to>

#7 BoBB

BoBB

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 09:04 PM

Its trying to connect to localhost on port 901, that is SWAT the samba web based configuration, you can just edit the smb.conf file by hand, its not that hard to figure out ...

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO.html

That is the linux documentation project's guide to configuring samba.

#8 zerodata

zerodata

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 08:20 AM

For a quick and dirty way to access files from your windows partitions on a dual boot system try this.

Login as root

Open the directory /mnt

Create a new directory in /mnt call it something like windowsHD

Open the file fstab in the /etc directory with your favourite text editor and add this line......

/dev/hda?/mnt/windowsHD auto user, defaults 0 0 hda?

hda? ....... ? = the linux reference to the partion ie. hda1 hda2 hda3 whatever it is on your system

Right click on your desktop in kde and choose the option "create new drive" set device path as dev/hda? then mount point as /mnt/windowsHD and name it so you can recognise it ie windowsHD.

Thats it click on the icon boom there is the contents of your windows partition this will also work for multi HDD systems. To access it from the command line simply open /mnt/windowsHD

Hope this is useful for you too.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!