• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 06:15 PM

I was trying to boot the slackware 8.1 install cd in my new pc and it just doesn't boot, I tried a floppy bootdisk and it still won't boot, the thing is the cd boots in my other pc without any floppy help! I've gone through the bios settings and everything seems to be in order, I have no idea what may be causing this. could anyone help....

#2 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 07:14 PM

ok, nevermind, I found out you need a bootdisk and the other 5 rootdisks if you cant boot off the cd, im fine, it should work...

#3 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 08:32 PM

ok, I take that back, it doesn't work!!! It works fine until it looks for the cd drive, and it just tells me there is no cd drive, but there IS!!! Could it be that the setup program has some time out limit, that if it doesn't find the drive in a couple of minutes, it assumes that it isnt there?? cuz if it does it might have happened, the drive that I am using is 4x, not exactly bleeding edge, so I was thinking that it takes so long to transfer the data that the installer just thinks that there is no drive, can someone back this up or tell me its not true?

#4 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 09:40 AM

i had the same problem with my box that had a 4x rom drive... i even tryied boot disks and even knoppix to no avial... i just decied to buy a new drive when i have the money for that box

#5 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 10:44 AM

and indeed it actually is the drives fault, I swapped it with a dvd drive from the other box, and surprise surprise it works!! Well, I havent gotten slackware to boot yet, but Im workin on it.....

#6 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 11:00 AM

The thing is I can install the whole thing, but if I format with ext3 or 2 it gives me an error message about fsck, I tried it with the riserfs and it works, but I cant start kde (or any other window manager), I also edited my XF86Config file, but it still doesn't work!! Can anybody tell me what's goin on?

#7 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 03:51 PM

It was actually the XF86Config file, I had to edit some crap, but now IT WORKS!!!!

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!